Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Racer

The All Rice Build

Finally cleared off my workbench so I can get to this build thread. Life of this actually started out as an original tmaxx from back in the day! Got out of the hobby and was reintroduced to lipo and brushless power by a fellow rc drifter.

So the story goes. Tried to do a tmaxx conversion, but I didn't like how it moved. Started doing some research and decided to build an emaxx from scratch.

Parts:
    FLM chassis and braces
    FLM towers
    RPM tru track rear with traxxas rings for pillow mounts
    RPM front arms
    Traxxas cvds
    Hardcore titanium skids
    Proline bumpers
    Integy single wheel wheelie bar
    Steering is a double stock emaxx servo saver
    Diffs are stock emaxx

This is all been run on a 2650 kv motor and 150a esc. JR servo and on 4s. I tried 6s with the Revo and where I bash 4s is more than enough.

If I missed anything just ask. So on for pics.

I was trying to figure out which wheels to use.

I think I got it.

Will update as I broke it down to clean it and decided to change up parts. I'm also have an revo 3.3 thats BL now. A slash that I'm making an MT.

ALOHA!

RC Qualifier
    Wow. That's already quite a sight! Nice build thus far.

One suggestion, and I'm uncertain how everyone feels about it, would be to dye the spur gear guard from grey to black. It was the first thing I did on my stock-chassis 3903 and while my chassis is still grey, I love the look of the black spur gear guard; it just meshes with the black transmission housing.

RC Champion
    Nice work area. Pays to be organized!
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by turbo_cat1 View Post
    Wow. That's already quite a sight! Nice build thus far.

One suggestion, and I'm uncertain how everyone feels about it, would be to dye the spur gear guard from grey to black. It was the first thing I did on my stock-chassis 3903 and while my chassis is still grey, I love the look of the black spur gear guard; it just meshes with the black transmission housing.
    Lol, after looking at the pictures I thought the same thing. It's funny you posted it.

Quote Originally Posted by zippogeek View Post
    Nice work area. Pays to be organized!
    Thanks! I totally agree

RC Racer
    Got the FLM hybrid bulk in the mail today. It's only the rear until the front is in stock.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I got one of my hyper 7 diffs in today. Uses only. 42mm shims where losi shim needed 1.61mm. Less shims the better

Remember run light diff oil like 5k to 7k. The 6 spider gears doesn't need 50k. But we all did it
    Last edited by 50togo; 01-29-2013 at 12:50 AM.

RC Racer
    Thank 50 I was about to put 50k in there lol. Also what side would you use the aluminum washer?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    On the ring gear side
    I.might mix some 30k & 7k together like 1to 5 ratio
    Last edited by 50togo; 01-29-2013 at 01:32 AM.

RC Racer
    How did you like the 5k front 7k rear?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That's what I ran in my buggy. For 1/8 scale pretty much the standard

Nice one mate...I like the FLM chassis.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    have you layed out the screws for the flm bulkhead they don't make sense !

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    have you layed out the screws for the flm bulkhead they don't make sense !
    Lol yes! What's with the lonely long screw?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Ha! Haven't figured that out yet. And you need 3 long screws for the bulkhead I figure 3x15 is perfect but theirs are shorter and an odd number too

RC Champion
    I thought the norm for 1/8th diffs was like (3k rear - 5k front) or (5k rear - 7k front) always heavier oil in the front.
    Heres a very informative article on diffs. Good info.
    http://www.myrcbox.com/articles/tech...gy-and-truggy/

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I know! Craig on the revo forum has the losi mod and is running 50k and is now talking 100k for his diffs

RC Racer
    How much heavier is the revo compared to a truggy? Is the difference in weight used in the diff more because I just bash with the revo? Or is it because 1/8diffs require lower weight?

RC Qualifier
    Yes, I'm also curious if you have layed out the screws and figured out which screws go where on your FLM Rear Ultimate Bulk....

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Revo isn't too heavy. Mine is just over 11 lbs

RC Racer
    Revo isn't too heavy. Mine is just over 11 lbs
    So do you think the reason they used those diff weights as a start is more for racing? I'm gonna start on mines as soon as my diff fluid comes in

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    maybe they didn't know better.we all followed each other i ran mine once and ran good with 50k up front and 30k in the back. will it run better with lighter oil probably. on my maxx build i mixed an even mixture of 5k with 30k .i will see how it works

RC Racer
    maybe they didn't know better.we all followed each other i ran mine once and ran good with 50k up front and 30k in the back. will it run better with lighter oil probably. on my maxx build i mixed an even mixture of 5k with 30k .i will see how it works
    Just like everything in this hobby, just gotta try and see! That's the fun part.....well aside from tinkering on them. Please let me know how it turns out! I may just run my maxx like this until the diff in there blows up.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    i am sure it will be fine not like we are racing on a track! don't plan on taking the revo apart .the diff is all hot glued in and runs good!

Quote Originally Posted by EMAXXBRUSHLESS View Post
    I thought the norm for 1/8th diffs was like (3k rear - 5k front) or (5k rear - 7k front) always heavier oil in the front.
    Heres a very informative article on diffs. Good info.
    http://www.myrcbox.com/articles/tech...gy-and-truggy/
    I know! Craig on the revo forum has the losi mod and is running 50k and is now talking 100k for his diffs
    Quote Originally Posted by all_rice View Post
    How much heavier is the revo compared to a truggy? Is the difference in weight used in the diff more because I just bash with the revo? Or is it because 1/8diffs require lower weight?
    Quote Originally Posted by all_rice View Post
    So do you think the reason they used those diff weights as a start is more for racing? I'm gonna start on mines as soon as my diff fluid comes in
    That article is very good and informative...as it states right at the bottom 'There is no perfect setup. One setup will increase forward traction; another will increase off power steering while decreasing speed when exiting corners' and they are talking about your truggy or buggy been on a race track. That article is only a guide...there is no right or wrong way, its what you want from your truck at the end of the day

I still believe regardless of your diff size and vehicle that the principle behind the theory of diff lube remains the same and what it does for your truck.

Through my experience and experimenting with RC's and hanging out at race tracks...that is where you would find the thinner diff lube for precision cornering and handling of your truck. I have tried a variety of different lubes in the stock Traxxas diffs and the Losi diffs and for what I use my truck for these days...I find the thicker lube works better for me.

At the moment I am running a mixture of Traxxas 100k and 50k diff lube front and rear...my front is thicker than the rear...this result of diff fluid mixture has been the result of trial and error through experimenting. I do not have a center diff but run the stock transmission which is lightly greased.

I am thinking that when I rebuild my truck as I only use it for bashing, jumping and tearing up the dirt now that I would try 100K front and a thinned out 100K mixed with 50K in the rear.

One thing I won't recommend is trying lock lube in your diffs if you are planning to bash at high speeds...using this did more damage than what its worth and what prompted me to do the Losi mod after shredding a number of stock diffs.

My videos speak for themselves seen my truck in action with this diff lube mixture I'm currently using...I have not noticed any loss of handling or performance from the thicker lube but that my truck handles a lot better in the dirt.

You guys will have to experiment through trial and error to see what works best for you and the way you use your truck .
    Last edited by craig.mitch316; 01-31-2013 at 10:01 PM.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    Selection of Diff Oil is very much dependent on how you use your vehicle. Thicker Diff Oils progressively add "diff lock" to your Diffs so just as you would not drive a 1:1 in the street with the diff locked you can see that the requirement for thicker diff oils would be better suited to lower traction surfaces. There is no magic answer to the very broad question of what diff oil to use. You need to ask yourself where you mostly will be running your truck or how you will be using it to determine the best diff oil thickness for you.
    Always get a 2nd Opinion!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    And then there is more drag on the drivetrain
    I know we have very powerful motors. Thick oil is a drag
    Notice how years ago you had 30wt or 20/50 weight oil now its 5/10 for less drag and better efficiency

RC Champion
    Great answers guys. This will give a lot of us a better understanding on what weight diff oil to use. still undecided what to put in my 15-16 pound road maxx that im building some new diffs for. Im thinking 5k rear 7k front?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Sure couldn't hurt!

RC Racer
    Little update. I just want Traxxas to know that I really appreciate the "traxxas" tire bead! I glued a set a regular trenches on axial oversized wheels, and wholly cow it takes FOREVER!

On another note, I'm waiting for parts to finish my build. Gonna hold off on the hybrid bulk until I blow the stock diff. At least this way ill have one rig running!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You going to run stock front and rear?

RC Racer
    You going to run stock front and rear?
    Yeah, I don't wanna take it apart if I don't need to. I got some flm slash cups on the way. May just put them in the revo. I need a running truck lol.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I hear that!
    I run my mervs when mine are down. One has a neu 1110 1/y and the other a neu 1112 1/y both faster then either my maxx or revo

RC Racer
    Lol my merv is waiting for parts also! I need to get something fixed hehe

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    no kidding! right now parts delivery bites in LA . every priority shipment goes through downtown los angeles and gets delayed

RC Racer
    At least you're connected to the states! I just tracked a package that went from CA backwards lol. Tried ordering a front lip for my car. Front lip$200, shipping to Hawaii.....$350. Bahahahaha

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yep. I would still trade you places!

RC Racer
    I always appreciate Hawaii when I travel. We have our issues as a state, but which state doesn't?

Anywho got my revo going. Needed to get something running. Hopefully finish the maxx soon.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That's true!
    I am in the same boat. My revo is running now waiting on my maxx!

RC Racer
    S it's been awhile, got to work on the maxx a lil bit. Wondering if I should use body post or Velcro?? What do you guys think?? I use Velcro on the merv and its awesome. I also got my hr double clutch in.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Velcro works on the revo but not the maxx