RC Racer

Battery pros/cons 2S vs 3S

Hi Everybody.
    I expanded my stable today to include a very nice Snap On Edition Slash 4x4. Its in great shape and tastefully modified. It came with a Traxxas nimh battery that was....eh...ok. I slapped a friends 3S lipo in there and oh boy. With rear paddles I was ripping wheelies in the snow. Didn't run long as it was pretty dark and cold as heck.
    I already have some SPC 2S 8200mah lipos that I use in my summit. Should I just run thoses, or get some 3S just for this truck? Will I need to change anything (gearing, diff oil, etc) or expect more frequent breakages such as drive shafts?

Chime in what batteries you run and the experiences you've had with them..

Thanks
    UD

RC Racer
    I know everybody likes pics. So here

On the way home

Warming by the fire after the snow and a nice air compressor bath

RC Qualifier
    I only like 3s in wide open spaces. Otherwise it too much and end up breaking/crashing. If you run 3s just ease into the throttle. That will keep you running longer.

RC Qualifier
    Stock on 3s breaks frequently, get driveshafts and upgrade your slipper and you should be good

RC Qualifier
    As hammer stated 3s with get you speed. I have a 8400 mah 3s lipo and the runtime is insane.
    Slash 4X4, MM 2200kv
    MIP CVD
    Tekno Bigbone

RC Racer
    I run 3s all the time, i dont break too often, use throttle control and realize itll take a sec to stop from extreme speeds!! The punch of a 3s is awesome! Very noticable difference over a 2s. I have a 8200 mah 3s, and it runs for 45-50 min

RC Racer
    I ended up going with the SPC 3S 5400mah 50C. Grabbed 2 of em.
    thanks for all the input

Quote Originally Posted by uncledave View Post
    thanks for all the input
    That is a great battery! I have one and really like it! The lipos that I have are Venom and SPC. They are both great batteries!
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Qualifier
    thanks for all the input
    Looks like you are gonna have some fun!!! Watch your temps. If you're not into top speed, then you might want to gear down a little.

I recommend the following upgrades:
    Half shafts
    Kingheadz motor mount w/aluminum bearing adapter
    Revo spec slipper

Have fun!!

RC Racer
    Imagine what another power system (HW SC8 WP + 2700 KV Leopard motor) and 4S will do.
    That's not even fun anymore and it will attempt to literally take-off anywhere past mid-throttle.

But I still like it!
    Greetz, JEREMY.

RCblog.nl - Summit*ERBE*Sl4sh

RC Champion
    thanks for all the input
    Nice to see they finally got them in stock. This battery has been out of stock for quite some time. 3s seems to be the oddball for Lipos and often hard to come by. Been considering running a pair of these in my ERBE but since they were not in stock I and I found a deal on a used Gorillamax G3R Chassis Im just going to use the stockpile of Gens ace 5000mAh 40C batteries I already have. The only thing i didnt like on the spec sheet for the SPC is the 2C charge rate where the Gens ace has 5c.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    Nice to see they finally got them in stock. This battery has been out of stock for quite some time. 3s seems to be the oddball for Lipos and often hard to come by. Been considering running a pair of these in my ERBE but since they were not in stock I and I found a deal on a used Gorillamax G3R Chassis Im just going to use the stockpile of Gens ace 5000mAh 40C batteries I already have. The only thing i didnt like on the spec sheet for the SPC is the 2C charge rate where the Gens ace has 5c.
    I was literally on the phone w Tom @ SPC when the ups truck showed up. Total random luck that they had a shipment of these coming in.