RC Qualifier

Steering Servo Blowout

I took my truck out on its first high speed run at the park after installing 2 x TP 5300mah, 3S, 65C LIPOs and a Robinson Racing GEN 3 Slipper clutch (65T). After everything was tightened up it ran flawlessly. I forgot it can pull a wheelie at full throttle. I had one minor rollover, nothing major.

When I got home I noticed the servos (2 x HITEC HS-645MG) were skipping when I turned the wheels by hand. Sure enough, when I opened them up they were both missing teeth in the same area. Guess that rollover hurt more than I thought.

I've had these for a while and have had to only change the gears once in one of them. Now that both are "in the shop"; any thoughts if it's worth it to rebuild them or upgrade to something better? I'm happy with the torque they provide but I wouldn’t mind upgrading. I'd appreciate any thoughts and suggestions. Thanks.

RC Racer
    I blew out my savox and was wondering if a servo saver on the servo itself would be overkill. What do you think about that?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Upgrade to a good strong single servo
    My hitec 7850th has titanium gears!

RC Qualifier
    Doesn't that beast have 400+ oz. of torque? What are your thoughts on using a digital servo compared to an analog?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    403 and I am running 7.4v so 486!
    Digital is faster more powerful and more efficient!

RC Racer
    Would using a servo saver on the servo help?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The stock servo saver is good til you run a stronger servo then upgrade to an aluminum servo saver with its stronger spring

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    The stock servo saver is good til you run a stronger servo then upgrade to an aluminum servo saver with its stronger spring
    you talking about on the truck or the actual servo? just trying to save my servo from breakage

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The truck.
    You don't want to run two servo savers

RC Qualifier
    50togo, I was reading up on your servo and the Traxxas 2.4GHz receiver. According to Traxxas Article #34485, the radio can only handle 6V. Since your servo is receiving 7.4V I'm guessing you're using an external BEC and/or a non-Traxxas radio.

Another question: If I were to buy a servo that big or the HS-7955 (333oz @ 6V), is it necessary to use an external BEC or will the Mamba Monster (5.5V on board BEC) supply enough power and survive using servos that big?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I ran an external bec just for 7.4v and sent 6v to the receiver so it would be all good

If your servo was a hungry savox you might need a bec but for a hitec running 6 v you should be good

RC Qualifier
    I ordered two gear replacement kits for the downed servos. I'll have to save up for a servo upgrade. In the meantime, I picked up a Castle BEC and Quick Connect today. At least I'll be ready for the upgrade when the time comes.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I took my quick connect off. It only works with the castle link not with the field link
    I ended up running an extension and I unplug it out of the box when I need to program

RC Qualifier
    I did a practice run on running the wires. It's a mess! Where did you mount your BEC and how did you run the wires? Just looking for tips before I get too much farther.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    i have the bec on my revo on the e maxx you have the receiver on one side and the esc and batteries on the other .just use two side tape to mount

RC Qualifier
    While I'm waiting for the replacement servo gears I went ahead and installed the BEC and Quick Connect. I set the BEC to 6.0V. It won't be a large improvement from 5.5V but it's a start. I also rewired my servos. I removed the stock twisted 12" wires and installed a 6" straight wire. The wiring didn't turn out half bad.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Looks good!
    And it takes the load of the esc!