RC poster

My Stampede build (ongoing)

Hey guys, thought I would post about my new Stampede. This is my first hobby grade RC, so I'm learning a ton. I am going to list the parts that I am upgrading and why. I got the new Stampede that comes with the 4000 Mah LiPo and slow charger.

Here is what I have already done:

Home Modification: Servo cover and guard, to keep out debris. I made it out of a 2 liter bottle. All I did was measure the piece that the two bolts go into, cut that out and then attached the oversized piece of plastic by making two small holes in the right place to screw the bolts through. then I traced the outline of where I wanted the cover, and cut it accordingly. I should have made it longer, on the next one I will make it longer and figure out a way to tuck it behind the skid plate brace things.

This picture is from a downward angle, makes it look longer then it is. You can see it is starting to tear a little near the screws and the front part is bending back...so I could see why someone would buy the real plate upgrade. This will work fine for me for now.

Traxxas 1952X Rear Stub Axle Carrier Blur Aluminum
    This was the first part I broke when I got my truck. It was stock until these were replaced. I was in a parking garage, on concrete and slid into a wall breaking the piece at the arm.

It's got some dirt on there from my run today.

aluminum motor plate: to keep the temp. down.

This is what I will be doing when the stuff comes in the mail this week : (closest LHS is 45-hour. I go as much as possible but it can't always happen)

Blue Aluminum Motor Mount (for temp.)

Sway Bar Kit (w/ kit to use with shock guards): For improved handling, turning.

ProLine Bulldog Body w/ Green Paint: For general bad-grassery.

RPM Wide Bumper Blue (maybe I'll paint it green): Protection is a must

Tekno RC M6 Driveshafts & Steering Block Set: Wanted to preemptively replace the equivalent part to the axle carriers in the back, and I also have read that the caster blocks almost don't break at all so I replaced this. It was easier at the time to just get the kit with the driveshafts too, because that was before I broke the rear drive shaft today and did some research, or else I would have go the MIP CVD's to match what I will have in the rear.

Traxxas Clear Gear Cover: because awesomesauce

Outwears Truck Shroud: Purple. To protect from debris in general. Breathable skin, attaches with velcro

Rear X-DUTY CVD Kitw/ Keyed Axles: Broke this and ordered it today. I was bashing in a gravel parking lot, ramping over parking curbs that have gravel built up around them. I broke the piece that comes out of the back section, at the base. I know I could replace only that part for three or four bucks, but it is said that these MIP's never break so I'll just go with that. If the front Tekno's break in the future, I'll get the MIP's.

Traxxas Front and Rear Body Mounts TRA1914x: This adds some adjustments to the body posts and heights. It is much cheaper then the real adjustment kit. I read that you just dont use the mount arms but just the top part where the clips go in. I will post pics soon to see how it goes.

Body Clip Leash Black: I lost one today while rolling. I swear it was on fully....I swear!

RC Car Aluminum Heat Sink Purple: This was only like 4 bucks on ebay....I didnt think I was going to buy the shroud so I did not want to get a heat sink with a fan (heard they short out in water). Now that I have the shroud I will probably replace this piece with a sink with a fan.

I have some cool decals that aren't very common also for the new body....I'll post when I get it all together.
    Last edited by pdgmtf; 01-27-2013 at 08:30 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Sounds awesome!!! You will really enjoy the stampede

Welcome to the forum dude and we all love homemade mods you will love the truck dude its a winner....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC poster
    Thanks guys! By the end of this week...it's going to be a new ride entirely. Can't wait.

RC Competitor
    Cant wait to see it. Funny thing is, when I bought mine I thought that was it, then about a year later I added up all the money spent and started laughing

I think when you get the bug bad its not good to think how much we have spent on your trucks but its worth the fun factor and we did not spend on stuff thats bad for your health....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC poster

update

Okay guys I have an update for everyone...sorry about the lighting conditions and picture quality...doing the best I can.

Here is the aluminum motor plate, alum. motor mount, clear gear cover and motor cooler.....

Here is the Tekno front driveshafts and steering block...I had the realization I could put this on the back to get the truck rolling until I receive the MIP back driveshafts.

Here is the sway kit (with the additional parts required to fit the VXL - the shock guards require it to attach. Hopefully sometime traxxas will release the sway kit with the two little pieces you need)....

Here is the sway kit on the body...down at the bottom is where the switched piece goes.

You can see in the last pic that I have zip tied on a new body mount top bracket. This mount came with Traxxas Front and Rear Body Mounts TRA1914x which adds a few adjustment possibilites with new very top pieces that the clip actually attaches to. I was only planning on using the top pieces, but I realized I could lower it a bit more with this bracket and the configuration is such that I could use zip ties and it is attached very well. It does bow inward, so the posts must be moved a bit to get in the holes on the body.

Here is the finished product (short the MIP's for the rear. I possibly will not change these until they break, we'll see.)
    Please let me know if you like the body alignment. If I switched back to the stock body mount for the rear it would go up a bit, which I think may or may not look better. Let me know what you think. You can also see the purple shroud below the body on the chassis.

I had one issue here: the Outwerwears (Logo look like Quizno's much?) does not seem to fit the with battery expansion. The black piece that the battery holder goes into is a little tall. I am expirimenting with the way I put it on to accomodate this. It makes it seem like it doesn't fit properly.

I sprayed my front bumper when I painted the body. I know it will scratch and chip but.....ehhh. It's blue under there...that will give it character right?
    Let me know what you think! Those main stickers are bike stickers by the way, I found them on amazon. It is pretty clear they were hand cut, supposedly by a war veteran. Something about firefighters stickers. Anyway, I love the way my green monster looks. It's supposed to be cold and snowy tomorrow so I'm not sure what will happen. I don't have a yard to run in, I kind of have to travel a few blocks. May not be up for it on my bike. (I have one sticker left for the bike...it will match the Stamp now )

Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by pdgmtf; 01-30-2013 at 11:34 PM.

RC poster
    Anyone know of any green shock socks that could rock my socks off?

Not literally. My feet would be cold without socks.

RC poster
    Nevermind....and I decided to go with purple socks