Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by davyjones'_fleet View Post
    now for the 2 strokes? do you have to mix oil and gas to put in the gas tank? thanks rusty! i really like the 250 2stroke one for a $1000
    Yup, mix it up and dump it in. You'll probably end up running something like 40:1 in a race bike or trail bike. I don't know if it holds true in the high revving bikes but in trials, if your still smoking you can reduce the oil. In a trials 2 stroke we run 80-100:1, don't try that in a race or trail bike.

Sent from my Transformer using Tapatalk 2

RC Qualifier
    and can anyone suggest a good helmet that will protect my head and wont break the bank? i seen some helmets for $375 and that is way too much for me just starting out, thats like a third of what im gonna pay for the bike haha any suggestions on good but not too expensive helmets?
    EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

RC Qualifier
    My bike takes 40:1 and for brain buckets, you can either get a bell or arai
    SUMMIT |MERV * FIVE-T * REVO-E| T- MAXX-E

RC Qualifier
    Find a used helmet that is not badly worn. Also, you might want to get a chest protector and boots. Boots will help not break your angles when you fall.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Qualifier
    I have a Fox V1 helmet & I like it. http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...FUjZQgodSwMADA

The only thing about getting one online is that you can't try it on, I have found all helmets are different so it would be better to go to an actual store & try them on or if you find one on Craigslist. I don't know how close you are to this store but I found one in Jacksonville: http://www.beachblvdmotorsports.com/
    Rustler|Brushless Losi XXL

RC Qualifier
    that store is actually right down the road, the guy i am buying the bike from is gonna give me a helmet to start with so i dont have to worry about that, dont really care if it fits, if it dont then i will just sell it on craigslist and buy a new helmet. i really like that fox v1 helmet though rusty. what am i looking for when i am looking to buy good boots that i wont break my ankle in?
    EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

RC Qualifier
    From my experience good boots that a still cheap are around $175-$200. I did a quick search in Google & came up with these results.
    http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...oad-Boots.aspx
    https://www.mxmegastore.com/FOX-Comp...rtex-boots.htm

You would want to stay with brands like Fox, Alpinestar and Gaerne for boots

What bike are you getting?
    Last edited by Rusty+Jump=Fun!; 01-30-2013 at 04:49 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by davyjones'_fleet View Post
    and can anyone suggest a good helmet that will protect my head and wont break the bank? i seen some helmets for $375 and that is way too much for me just starting out, thats like a third of what im gonna pay for the bike haha any suggestions on good but not too expensive helmets?
    Only thing I can recommend is a DOT Snell approved lid.

RC Qualifier
    hey guys thanks for all the info and help, this is what i decided on for a helmet and boots. i still havent gotten my tax return yet but i am really thinking about getting this bike...its a kawasaki kx250...the boots are Alpinestars Tech 3's and the helmet is the new FOX V2, and i also got a nice pair of FOX gloves that have carbon fiber nuckle's. i just got a hitch hauler for the bike and i got a set of riding pants and jersey from the same guy. as soon as i get my tax return i am gonna go look at this bike and give it a test drive also.

EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

RC Qualifier
    Nice!

2 things will happen if you get a 250 2 stroke as a first dirt bike.

1. you'll wad it up, because the power band is nuts
    2. you'll foul plugs left and right, cause the bike scares you and you dont give it enough throttle to clear it out.

i have had a 125, 155, and 250 2 strokes and hated them. i have had many different 4 strokes and love them.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by nixhex32 View Post
    2 things will happen if you get a 250 2 stroke as a first dirt bike.

1. you'll wad it up, because the power band is nuts
    2. you'll foul plugs left and right, cause the bike scares you and you dont give it enough throttle to clear it out.

i have had a 125, 155, and 250 2 strokes and hated them. i have had many different 4 strokes and love them.
    I would agree with this, especially a 250 2 stroke. You could mellow it out with a flywheel and a shorty pipe, but I really didn't get comfortable getting hard on the throttle until I rode a 4 stroke. The benefit is you can rebuild the entire engine for less than a top end on a 4 stroke.

edit: I don't hate 2 strokes, I think 125's are fun because the power isn't intimidating, I like 250/300 2 strokes if the engine is tuned for low end power, usually the 300's are more mellow than a 250 tuned for motocross because they're made for the trails. For the right rider it's the perfect bike, they're lighter and a 250 2 stroke can typically race in a 250F class now days, yo just have to have a passion for 2 strokes. I'll probably try to get a 2 stroke if KTM ever fuel injects them.
    Last edited by Meebert; 02-06-2013 at 11:26 PM.
    I like turtles.

RC Racer
    Idk its a learning experience and tons of fun!

RC Qualifier
    well i am definitly not gonna be afraid to get on the throttle. and as for fouling up plugs, all i have to do is pull the clutch and rev it up a little to clear it out. its just like if you bought a brand new diesel pickup, you have to run the thing and give it some gas, thats why all these old guys that can afford them have so many problems, cuz they put them around town and dont run them. i am definitly gonna run this bike. im not afraid to go fast . the guy i am buying this bike off of this sat(two days!!!!) said that a good friend of his built this bike for himself and he is one of the best bike mechanics in town and he works on his son's bikes that he races across the united states. he built this bike, pretty much like new and never really got to ride it. yes its a older bike but its been well taken care of cuz just look at it! its even still has the original graphics on the side. the guy that has this bike at his house has 20acres of land i can ride on and he even has trails and said i can ride it until i dont feel like riding anymore even if i dont end up wanting it. just like he said " why would he lie about a stupid dirt bike, he has a million dollar home and land and he just wants it to go to a good home where someone would appreciate all the blood sweat and tears he put into the bike" i dunno, but i do know when i go ride it i am gonna love it and be taking it home with me lol.
    EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

RC Qualifier
    oh yea, this is a older bike but i forgot what year the guy said that it was, anyone have any idea what year it looks like?
    EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

RC Racer
    Looks like a 2000. I used to ride a 08 kx250. Loved it. I rode a bunch of different 4 strokes and it just didn't do it for me. Most of my friends who couldn't get the hang of the 2 stroke switched to 4 stroke bikes. Personally I'd look for a newer bike, weather it be a 2 or 4 stroke.