Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

any dirt bike riders here? wanna give noob advice?

just wondering if anyone could help me in getting the right bike for me as a starter to riding dirt bikes? i weigh 180lb and im about 5'10. any ideas?
    EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

RC Qualifier
    I'm 6'2 and I ride a KTM 300 XC, but that is too much for a beginner. I'd start off with something relatively cheap like a Honda or something. Then move up from there, or be like me and start off on a kawasaki! Those things are the best beginners bikes
    SUMMIT |MERV * FIVE-T * REVO-E| T- MAXX-E

RC poster
    try getting a honda 150 R thats what i used to ride when i first started and im 130ish 6'2

RC Qualifier
    well i was looking at this and it says that the piston and head are blown...what do you think? i am a quick learner about motors and these are kinda like the nitro's arent they but a lot more to them?
    check this out and tell me what you think...
    http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcy/3476443298.html
    EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

RC Qualifier
    and i am not really looking to spend much more than $1100 just to begin and see how i like it with my tax return.
    EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

RC Qualifier
    It's a Kawasaki so your good there. The FMF pipe is good because it won't need repacked. Four stroke engines can be pretty expensive, I do t think 150 bucks will cover a new engine on ebay, but you never know. But for 200 bucks, Id probably buy it.

RC Qualifier
    I would suggest something like a YZ or CR125. They are a great beginner bike but are also good if you like it & decide to keep riding. I see your in Jacksonville, Fl. I did a quick Craigslist search & came up with these results that are kind of in your price range: http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcy/3509876424.html http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcy/3543469619.html
    Rustler|Brushless Losi XXL

RC Qualifier
    That KTM is nice

RC Champion
    Here's my pride and joy
    2008 CRF450x

For just gettig into riding I'd suggest a 4 stroke. 2 strokes can be pretty snappy. I used to have a crf 150. Wicked buke but not too big. You a fan of Honda or Yamaha or does it not matter to you?

RC Qualifier
    2 strokes are easier than 4 strokes to maintain. Plus they have loads of power unlike being torquey like the 4 strokes. 2 strokes are also alot louder than 4 strokes. Personal preference there. 450 4 strokes usually run in the 250, 2 stroke class.

RC Champion
    What's the difference in maintanence between 2 and 4 strokes
    2 strokes are snappy and tourquey in their lower power band. 4 strokes make more even power through the rpm band. I've ridden and owned lots of 4 strokes and ridden 2 strokes. 2 strokes are more powerful, which is why twy don't make 450 2 strokes anymore

RC Qualifier
    Well, usually the 4 strokes I ride are fuel injected that why I say maintenance is much harder than on 2 strokes. But I like 2 strokes better because there is nothing like the 2 stroke sound and feel. All the 2 strokes I've ridden power bands have been low, then a boring middle, then a crazy high

RC Qualifier
    i was talking to this guy and he said he could do $1250 for me on the bike and a stand for it. read the description and tell me what you think
    http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcy/3575602910.html
    EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

RC Champion
    It's a decent deal depending on te year, I'm not sure what bikes go for around your area. My brother rides a 2001 kx100 and it feels waaay to small sitting on the seat

Have you checked out some off brand dirtbikes? My friend bought one new online for under $1,000. Everyonce and a while he has bolts that come loose but that's it

A newer brand that can out is "pitster" check out there stuff

RC Qualifier
    the one is that last craigslist is a 2001, and he just had the motor bored out and rebuilt and only ran it for about an hour after he did that. the pitsters are a little out of my price range. thanks though
    EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

RC Qualifier
    thats a pretty sweet bike man. i am so excited to get one but i don't want to be too much of in a hurry that i make a bad buy...check this out and tell me what you think and its a 2001
    http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcy/3575602910.html
    EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

RC Qualifier
    That one looks pretty good!

RC Qualifier
    i was told that the 125 would not be powerful enough for me, any insight on this? i was told by a guy who races these all the time and buys a new bike every year.
    EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

RC Champion
    Go for a 250cc Nothing would be worse than getting a bike with not enough juice

My 14 yo brother takes out my 450 all the time. He loves it,
    As long as the bike is not too tall for you, you should be fine (considering you have ATV and side by side experience)

RC Qualifier
    I am 14 and ride a Honda CRF 230F. When I trail ride though I usually ride my honda crf 100F. It all depends on how good you are. I got so good this summer with the 230 I jumped it 41 feet in a wheat field!
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Qualifier
    i have never rode a dirt bike but i have rode some pretty fast quads and jumped them very little. i know that its gonna be a lot different than a quad and i am prepared to learn. i just had someone say that there is not enough power in a 125 for my height 5'10 and about 180lbs and i wanna go to this track that has a bunch of jumps and stuff here is where i am probably gonna be doing most of my riding...there is a bunch of photos...
    http://www.bostwickmx.com/Photos.html
    EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

RC Qualifier
    If your can ride a bicycle, you can ride a dirt bike other than clutching but that's very easy to learn.

RC Qualifier
    You are very brave if you want to go race on tracks. I wanted to get into the racing gig and race a Polaris RZR XP, but sadly since I am only 15 no one would help me. Try looking into the Honda Racing Bikes. They are pretty good!
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Qualifier
    how about this bike that just came up on craigslist here is jacksonville...its a metal motorsports 250 2010. what yall think?
    http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcy/3576054152.html
    EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

RC Qualifier
    and i am insured under the US military so if anything happens im covered
    EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TraxxasSummitCrawler View Post
    2 strokes are easier than 4 strokes to maintain. Plus they have loads of power unlike being torquey like the 4 strokes. 2 strokes are also alot louder than 4 strokes. Personal preference there. 450 4 strokes usually run in the 250, 2 stroke class.
    Hahahaha no they aren't you got mess with mixing oil a d all this crap with 2 strokes. My Hondas take hardly any maintenance an oil change every 6 or 7 rides that's it
    Slash rocks!!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by boston2612 View Post
    Hahahaha no they aren't you got mess with mixing oil a d all this crap with 2 strokes. My Hondas take hardly any maintenance an oil change every 6 or 7 rides that's it
    On my gosh, how hard is that? Mixing oil! Wow, big deal. It's all a part of the fun.

RC Qualifier
    i was told by a friend that races these that a 125 2stroke does not have the power needed to take me around the track, he said that if i got a 125 that i would be red lining it everytime i wanted to go with it...
    EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

RC Qualifier
    and can someone tell me how to mix the oil and that for a 4stroke? remember i am a total noob at this and tell me what you think of this bike?...
    EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

RC Qualifier
    4 strokes don't need to have oil mixed in with fuel, only 2 strokes. The 125 will be redlining whenever your really get on the throttle

RC Qualifier
    I have the CRF 230F Four Stroke, and it has plenty of power for me and I am 5'6 and 150 lbs. I take it on my friends track sometimes and it is powerful. Here is a short video of me on it. It was still wet from the snow though and I figure I was going about 4p MPH. Video waiting to be uploaded onto Photobucket so I can share it.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Racer
    For you i would go with a 4 stroke 250. Something like a crf 250 r or a kx 250f. Both will have gobs of power and easy to maintain. I ride a wr 250 f which is like a racing bike but with a light and speedo so i can ride a night or get it licensed for onroad use. It all depends on what you are doing. Racing or trailing.

RC Racer
    Heres pics of my wr

RC Qualifier
    i think i am gonna be running at a local track which has a bunch of jumps and i am not scared to wreck and learn how to ride. here is the link to the track photos pede... and then i am gonna be getting off for the night...they also have a mini track and a trail for me to practice on. and would someone please tell me what they think of this bike????? its a metal motorsports bike...
    http://www.bostwickmx.com/Photos.html
    EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

RC Qualifier
    and i am selling my Jato 3.3 to help me get a bike also if anyone knows someone who wants one. this is a great deal and here is the link...
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...w-upgrades-300
    EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

RC Qualifier
    That bike looks ok to me, but I don't have much experience. I would make sure the shocks are good and that the motor is in good shape, cause who knows what can be done to a motor in 10 hours. Make sure that deal isn't too good to be true though!
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Qualifier
    Finally, I got the video uploaded on YouTube. Here is the link to me messing around on my Honda CRF 230F waiting for my RC Batteries to charge.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Qualifier
    If you were going to get a 4-stroke, I would suggest either a CRF250R or YZ250F. I would stay away with any off brand bike because you most likely wouldn't get support if you had a problem with it & those bikes mostly aren't reliable.

Here's my 2007 CRF250R

Here I am riding at one of my races:

I used to have a YZ125 & it did not a shortage of power & it would be fine for you, I'm 6'2" 170lbs & it had no problem with power.

RC Qualifier
    http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcy/3503980175.html

This one also looks good (it's a 250 2 stroke) but I would ask if he has the title & more information:
    http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcy/3482892123.html

I would ask for better pictures on this one:
    http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcy/3540491022.html

RC Qualifier
    now for the 2 strokes? do you have to mix oil and gas to put in the gas tank? thanks rusty! i really like the 250 2stroke one for a $1000
    EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5