Thread: Trans issues

RC Champion

Trans issues

Went to take out the summit today and heard a strange clicking when I would first take off. Pulled the cover off the slipper/gear and its making a whole revolution in the tranny before the wheels will engage. Also noticed the slipper is missing a chunk out of one of the pads?

RC Champion
    Hmmm looks like that's the way it is suppost to operate. Pulled the trans apart and it's a half turn Esther way before low or high will catch. Never noticed that before.

RC Qualifier
    yeah mine does that although mine had a clicking noise when it decelerated and i had my gearing too tight, so that might be worth a check
    Slugs are just naturally aspirated snails

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Crock View Post
    Hmmm looks like that's the way it is suppost to operate. Pulled the trans apart and it's a half turn Esther way before low or high will catch. Never noticed that before.
    Yes thats right.
    If you pull the output shaft right out of the trans you can see how it works. it has a shift fork which pushes that little engaging piece in the middle. the piece has 2 lugs 180 degrees apart. the 2 big output gears also have some little lugs 180 degrees apart and it has to spin that distance before it actually turns the output gear.
    If you pull it apart completely you will see what i am saying.

So the turning before moving is normal. A chunk out of a slipper is not normal so replace that. but otherwise your truck sounds like it is doing what it is supposed to. Nothing to worry about.
    If the summit can go through; its not deep enough

RC Champion
    Ya once I pulled the trans apart I seem how it was suppost to work. Don't think I ever noticed before because my slipper was a little loose in the cold weather and snow. Gota readjust again

RC Champion
    I know I read on RcCrawler, a thread about getting rid of the slop. The fella had the summit Trans in his scaler truck, but the mod still does the same thing. It took some Dremmel work and only he only fixed the low gear side. He did this to stop the roll back when rock crawling.
    Ill have a look and see if I can find it.

Sent from my highly abused iPhone using Tapatalk
    Always in Trouble for trying to help out.

RC Champion
    Ok, found the thread
    http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/gener...mit-trans.html

Sent from my highly abused iPhone using Tapatalk
    Always in Trouble for trying to help out.