RC Qualifier

Slash 4x4 basher build

I am going to be building a Slash 4x4, But i want to only bash with it and i am going to upgrade some stuff. But i would like to put a MMM 2200kv motor and esc in it but i think thats overkill. What is your guy's take on the MMM in the Slash 4x4? Would it strill all the gears? And what would need to be upgraded? And would i need to add thicker diff oil in the diffs or anything? And if the MMM is overkill what it a more suitable motor and esc for a Slash 4x4 to bash with?
    Last edited by JohnnyT1992; 01-27-2013 at 01:23 PM.
    Slash 4x4,

RC Champion
    I don't think the mmm is too much overkill. It will be a ton of power though. I would go with something like the mamba max pro SCT with the 2400kv motor. Still plenty of power but won't weigh the truck down like the mmm. I've heard of people getting almost 80mph with the mamba max pro with the 2400kv on a 4s and the right gearing.

RC Qualifier
    I forgot they made a SCT motor. Maybe i will get that one, I am not looking to make my truck a speed run truck. I'd gear it to around 45-50MPH. And i would probably only run 3s, I dont know much about L motors. I think the MMM can only be used with 4s or higher. So i will probably go with something els.
    Slash 4x4,

RC Champion
    Yeah mmp is a great combo. It's stays cool even running at about 50mph.

RC Champion
    +1 on the MMP/2400 or equivalent. Overall the best basher combo for the slash.

RC Qualifier
    Okay i just bought my Slash 4x4 roller, http://www.ebay.com/itm/390530466022...#ht_1076wt_910 I was going to buy a new RTR S4x4 but thats $500 plus all the upgrades. If i put the MMP SCT 2400kv motor in it do i need to upgrade anything in the driveline? And what batterys and gearing should i run in it? I am looking to get long runtime batterys eather 2 or 3s, I want to use what ever is best for me needs, And i dont know what much about gearing so if you guys can help me choose my gearing. I bash offroad on alot of grass and i am not trying to make my Slash 4x4 a rocket on the street, But i would like it to go 45-50ish tops.

Any help would be great.

And would i need to install the center diff and change the diff oil with that motor?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SC10-4x4-Cas...ht_4465wt_1064
    Last edited by JohnnyT1992; 01-27-2013 at 05:10 PM.
    Slash 4x4,

RC Champion
    So you shouldn't need to upgrade anything that I know of in the driveline if your just bashing. With the mmp a 2s isn't very good. I would do at least a 3s. I know the gens ace lipos are good and I would do something like 30c or more. If you want a good run time try to get around 5000mah or more. With the gearing if you put in 19/54 you should go around 50mph with out any problems.

RC Qualifier
    Cool thanks for the info it helped alot. I just thought i would have to upgrade the drive shafts or something due to all the power and i read of somebody melting a part with the stock motor so i dont know what that was about. And i wont have to change the diff oil out or add the center diff will i? I would hate it if i needed to. And what are some other parts that are worth upgradeing?
    Slash 4x4,

RC Champion
    No I don't think you'll need the center diff. The only thing I would upgrade with all the power your adding is aluminum parts to keep parts from breaking if you crash because of the raw power.

RC Qualifier
    I would look into at least putting in some MIP's or tekno's in the rear. Thats where most of the power is gonna go and from everything I've seen the 2400 will twist them depending on how hard you bash. I would to an aluminum motor mount too. I went with the kingzhead and alum bearing adapter. I've seen those melt on the stock setup running 3s. Would'nt hurt to put the aluminum pads on the slipper if you don't use the erbe slipper.
    Sl4sh 2650/MM
    Erevo

RC Qualifier
    Thats not cool if the 2400kv motor twists the shafts. I am kinda thinking of useing the stock VXL3s with a 3s pack. I dont want to rip my truck apart because of the motor. I do plan on useing CVD's though. What is the best brand out of the two?And whats the bearing adapter? I am going to get there motor mount too though. And is the ERBE slipper a direct drop in upgrade? I'll probably buy some aluminum parts that traxxas sells aswell and probably get nicer shocks.
    Slash 4x4,

RC Champion
    I don't think the mmp will be that hard on the truck. I haven't heard of it being too hard anyway. If you keep the stock vxl then you will have to really watch temps on a 3s. I meltes the atock bearing adaptor with just a 2s so heres the upgraded one:

http://www.rcplanet.com/Traxxas_Bear...p/tra6893x.htm

RC Racer
    Hey bro frist of all I'm new to this hobby. Just over 2 weeeks into buying my first real rc. With an all stock truck I replaced all the control arms. Because I broke one to rpm. I got a 3s battery. I melted the plastic motor mount and bearing adaptor. So those were re placed. With st racing motor mount and traxxas aluminum bearing adaptor. I stripped the spur gear 2 times. Just today I broke a drive shaft. Im going to replace at least the rears with tekin. I may do the fronts too. And plus my body is toast. So thats getting replaced. Also on one of my wheels I stripped out the hex and also the hex nut thingy. I got them super glued together for now. Oh on my bf tires the 2 that were on the back are starting to get bald.
    But man I have a **** ton of fun bashing it.

Sent from my Samsung NOTE 2.

RC Qualifier
    I've seen pics of the rear shafts getting thrashed pretty good with the 2400 but they said they were pretty hard on it too. The stock plastic shafts get sloppy over time no matter what you are using. I just rebuilt my nephews for him and the stock rear shafts don't have much life left in them at all. MIP's or tekno's are the way to go for the rear at least. Your front shafts should last a while. I personally use MIP's and love them. It's really just a preference thing for the most part both are quality products. The erbe slipper will fit right in also. The only other thing I would check to see is the front drive hub on the center shaft. Mine was plastic and it twisted in no time with the bigger motor. I think they were only plastic in early slash's. If yours is plastic you can pick an alum one up cheap. Ya aluminum hex's wouldn't be a bad idea either.
    Last edited by RockchalkJayhawkz; 01-27-2013 at 10:00 PM.
    Sl4sh 2650/MM
    Erevo

RC Qualifier
    Good thing about spur gears is that they are cheap lol.
    Sl4sh 2650/MM
    Erevo

RC Champion
    Yeah like they were saying. Upgrading things to the aluminum is very good to do. Sorry I have an ultimate so I don't think of these things.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for all of the info guys. The upgrades i plan on doing are. RPM armes all around, Kingheads motor mount and bearing adapter. Traxxas aluminum shock towers or i might use RPM towers, Traxxas aluminum wheel stub axels and what not. I probably will go with the MMP2400 with a 3s, And i'll probably get the MIP shafts allaround, And aluminum hex's and maybe some PL wheels and tires. And what are a good brand of shocks for the Slash 4x4? I see some people use PL shocks and i would like to try other brands instead of just traxxas, I'll get aluminum shock caps aswell. And what is a good upgradw to the stock steering servo?

And i dont have to touch the diffs with thicker oil with that much power?

Thats alot of stuff i plan on doing to it, I never upgraded an rc this much before. lol
    Last edited by JohnnyT1992; 01-28-2013 at 09:57 AM.
    Slash 4x4,

RC Champion
    Haha yeah it's a lot if upgrades but its going to be one heck of a truck!! I'm with you on the shocks, not sure which ones to get. I don't think you'll have to do anything with oil in the diffs but I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah i loved my old S4x4 last year and i was running it stock with the crappy NiMH battery. Now that i only want to own 1 rc for this year i will probably get another next year or so. But i just want to make it a mean truck. I will look into the diffs, I would feel better to put a little thicker oil in there for the long run. Stock seems to thin of an oil. And do you guys thing i should use the Traxxas aluminum shock towers or the RPM towers? I'll forsure post some pics of it once it's all done. It will be done by the end of next month or so, Just intime for warmer weather.
    Last edited by JohnnyT1992; 01-28-2013 at 10:03 AM.
    Slash 4x4,

RC Champion
    I don't know about the RPM shock tower but I know the traxxas ones are good but I have noticed that the st racing ones are very popular at my lhs. Its also pretty cheap and they have like a hundred different colors too. About $15

RC Qualifier
    You do not need to get the aluminum hexes if you buy MIPS cause they come with them. As far as the shock towers the traxxas ones look cool and have the bling factor but they are a little heavier than the rpms. The rpms don't look as cool but they do offer a lifetime warranty so you would never have to buy another shock tower. That being said shock towers rarely break.

RC Qualifier
    Okay i was looking at vids of the MIP X duty shafts and everybody said they rub on the axel carrires. And i was planeing on upgradeing those to aluminum but if they rub like that i might go and get the teknos. But i would worrie that the tekno shafts would twist or break or something. I dont know if i want to go through all of that now. Maybe i will keep it stock and just upgrade the motor mount and bearing adapter and run 2s with the VXL3s system. Any body know hoe much runtime i can get out of a 2cell 5000mah pack? Maybe uprade the truck overtime as parts wear out or break.
    Slash 4x4,

RC Qualifier
    Okay so i am going to build it stock for now, But i will buy the HingsHead motor mount and bearing adapter and probably the Revo slipper now so i dont melt any parts later on. I will upgrade as i go so i can enjoy it and fix it up as need be. But i plan on useing a 2s 25c battery with the VXL3s system. I dont know what mah i will get probably 5000. And i bought a 19T pinion and i am going to run 19/54T gearing and it sais it will go around 40mph and im cool with that. But i drive alot on grass alot and i dont want to run into any bad heat issues with the battery or anything. So should i gear it down? Or will it be fine?
    Slash 4x4,

RC Champion
    I would gear it down. I run mine on a 2s with that gearing and it gets hot. In the grass it will be worse.

RC Qualifier
    I would get a few 3S batteries, and anything that breaks get RPM Plastic parts because they are WAY stronger then the stock Traxxas parts, and also cheaper and (in some cases) stronger than aluminum parts. RPM flexes a little bit and doesn't break, but aluminum bends completely and is made useless. RPM parts are also much cheaper.

RC Qualifier
    Okay, I will be doing the upgrades. I am just shocked to see how much some of these parts cost and makes me think twice. But i do want the MMP 2400 so i know i will need to do the upgrades anyways to support all that power. And i have my e-revo 1/16 on ebay and it looks like it will go for a good price so i will buy my motor with that $. I think i will go RPM on most of the stuff to keep the costs down. My biggest issue now is the drive shafts. I see the MIP shafts are veary nice but i see they rub on the other parts (I forgot what the part is called that it rubs on) So that mekes me turn to the tekno shafts, But my worries with those are that they will twist or pop out. So can anybody that owns the takno slash 4x4 shafts tell me how they hold up to the MMP 2400 on a 3s pack?

I just seen these new traxxas shafts, http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Traxxas-...#ht_1758wt_910

Anybody ever try them? They look nice
    Last edited by JohnnyT1992; 01-28-2013 at 11:50 PM.
    Slash 4x4,

RC Qualifier
    I have MIPS one all my trucks except 1, that truck has tekno. So obviously I prefer mip. The mip are stronger and can take more abuse. Sometime they do rub on the knuckle but in a few runs it stop or you can do a little dremeling to make the rubbing stop. I never had to on 4 slashes. If you mount your shocks on the highest point the teknos will pop out out the piece that connects to the the diff because the dogbone is not long enough. They will hold up to the power of 4s though. You just can't set your shocks so they have maximum travel. Hope this helps

RC Qualifier
    I feel a little better about the MIPs after reading that but do they rub down the plastic alot? They are nice i like the teknows aswell i would probably keep my shocks in the stock setup and just put harder springs on to keep my ride hight up. Thats what i did on my old S4x4.
    Slash 4x4,

RC Qualifier
    I am going with these shafts all around, I like the look and they are also made for the X0-1 so they should hold up veary well and they better for there price. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-6851...#ht_1777wt_910 And i will get the RPM armes all around with the traxxas aluminum wheel upgrade parts.
    Slash 4x4,

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyT1992 View Post
    I am going with these shafts all around, I like the look and they are also made for the X0-1 so they should hold up veary well and they better for there price. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-6851...#ht_1777wt_910 And i will get the RPM armes all around with the traxxas aluminum wheel upgrade parts.
    you should think twice about those. a lot of people are having problems with them. do a quick search. also the mip rub the plastic very little.
    Last edited by paulfromtulsa; 01-29-2013 at 11:06 AM.

RC Qualifier
    I did not look into them that much yet. If they are not good i will probably get the teknos. Thay seem good and are a little cheaper then everybody els. Do the MIP's go on with out any mods? Because i know the teknow have new parts you need to have that come with the shafts. I want a direct bolt on part that uses all other stock parts.
    Slash 4x4,

RC Qualifier
    mips are a direct bolt on. tekno's come with different bearing carriers cause they require larger bearings.

RC Qualifier
    Send El Sob a message he knows a site to get the MIP's at a decent price. You can get away with just getting the rear for quite a while. You may not even need the front depending on how hard you bash.
    Sl4sh 2650/MM
    Erevo