RC poster

Midrange ESC for upgrade to lipo?

I'm on an upgrade path over the next couple months to move to lipos; my set of NiMh batteries just died, and I don't feel like pouring more money into them. (I'm going to do the same on my emaxx, and my heli's already run lipo, so there's a broader plan here)

Month 1 = charger (looking at a PL8 or iCharger; comments welcome)
    Month 2 = power supply
    Month 3 = ESC
    Month 4 = lipos
    Month 5 = summer time

My summit still has the older EVX2 without the low voltage detect, and I'm running a 775. Might go brushless sometime, but more likely stick with a Dewalt. I'm not into racing, just mostly backyard running with my son.

Any suggestions for a mid-range ESC? or should I just get a low voltage detect module

Lva (low voltage alarm) are inexpensive
    And work well.
    Search eBay for "lipo alarm" under $10
    Pl8 is a monster charger.pl6 also a great charger.i doubt you will outgrow a pl8 anytime soon.icharger line are good quality for price a bunch of people here running them me included.

Sent using lipo power
    Last edited by jamann; 01-26-2013 at 11:04 PM.
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    I recently just picked up a PL6. The main differences between the PL6 and PL8 is the total watts and the ability to charge 8s lipos with the PL8 where the PL6 can only charge 6s. Unless you plan on getting into helis or planes that have the higher s count batteries the PL6 will suit you just fine. IMO

The limiting factor for both of them when it comes to 2 &3s batteries (wich it sounds like you will be using) will be the amperage. They are both limited to 40A. I started to think the money saved by getting a PL6 vs a PL8 might be better spent else where. ksb affirmed this for me.

Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect

Ask someone make a power supply for you from a PC; more robust and cheaper than a store bought one. PM me if you want a name of a forum member.

Guys with a truck your size usually go with a MMM or a HW 150 sized esc.

I have a 4s gens ace that has served me well. SPC makes good 2s and 3s lipos.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by happymachinist View Post
    ... Unless you plan on getting into helis...
    Yeah - I've been bitten. Although I haven't gotten into 8S yet, I might as well future-proof myself. Never thought I'd have more than 1 rc truck either.

Ask someone make a power supply for you from a PC; more robust and cheaper than a store bought one. PM me if you want a name of a forum member.
    Thanks for the offer, OG. I'll probably go the homemade route and I do have some resources for a couple PC supplies. Only thing is that I want my son to be able to safely use the charging system, so safety is a key concern that I'll need to address.

I'll take a look at the HW ESC.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    If you want safety, don't use PC supplies... SERVER is the way to go!
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rcej4 View Post
    Yeah - I've been bitten. Although I haven't gotten into 8S yet, I might as well future-proof myself. Never thought I'd have more than 1 rc truck either.
    Haha I know the feeling...if I only knew then what I know now...

Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect

RC Qualifier
    120A 4s ESC is $40. 150A 6s ESC is $65. Both are sensored and are easy to waterproof. Just gotta solder your own plugs on.

I use velcro to attatch my ESC.
    Last edited by satyrisci; 01-28-2013 at 04:36 PM.
    PM me for help converting your Summit to brushless