RC Racer

Transmission Issues

Well I haven't drove my Tmaxx since it was out in the mud a few weeks ago. Got it cleaned up and decided to take it for a spin today. Ran good for about 2 mintues. Motor rev's and runs good but now it doesn't want to move. I think I might have mud or something wrong with the transmission. If I pull the trans out what should I look for? Could the clutch be slipping from dirt damage? I have never done this before so I need some assistance.

I would look at the slipper clutch & engine clutch first before just asuming it is a trany problem.

What model Maxx do you have?
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Qualifier
    +1^^^. If its a 4907 (gray trans) I would check the slipper clutch first. Make sure you have all three pads still in tact. I lost one slipper pad on a brand new clutch 4 tanks in and my truck revved real nice, but wouldn't move. I've since ditched the stock slipper pads for the 2.5 brake disc as my slipper clutch. If its a 2.5 (black trans) 1. Make sure the slipper clutch nut and spring aren't loose. 2. You have all twelve slipper pegs in the disc 3. Since you ran it in mud you may have melted the slipper plates into the spur. Pull your slipper and check for damage either way. If all of that checks out its time to pull the clutch bell and make sure the spring isn't broke or the clutch pads aren't worn or cracked.

RC Racer
    Yes it is a 4907. I will tear it down tonight and keep you posted

RC Qualifier
    Hey I have a Question on a 4910 Truck, this is strange so hang with me, at first I thought the 2nd gear was set wrong wouldnt shoft so I backed it out a couple times, Then I noticed if I slowly accelerate it will shift and act normal if I stomp it or Go WOT instantly it seems to slip something and will not shif but runs high RPM's Now if I hold the truck Still and Gas it It will spin teh tires without acting like it is slipping, coudl there be something inside teh tranny that is slipping like a one way clutch or something hanging up when it si supposed to shift?
    I do not want to have to take it apart again but will if I need to I was hoping that maybe someone else has this issue and coudl help me with what may be up, I checked and cleaned the CB and Clucth, Cleaned an dTightened the Slipper it appears solid, I do notice the 4910 tranny will allow teh spur to spin unlike the 4907 (grey Tranny) what is it that engages the Tranny inside the 4910 that is not the same on teh 4907 tranny and could that be teh issue by chance?
    I sure hope the 4910 does not have teh same c clip holding in a pin liek I found on the 4907 but at least I know how to fix that.
    Is this something I shoudl remove teh tranny and dissassemble it to get to teh bottom of it?
    T-Maxx 3.3 :)

RC Qualifier
    Oh man I was hoping someone had some comments I even took my laptop outside to check for teh answers as i am looking at the truck and am puzzled. CB is Good, Clucth and Spring are now New, slipper I took apart inspected pegs etc cleaned real well to ensure no oil or smoked pieces all good why is it slipping on WOT and unwilling to shift into second??
    I am not as familiar with the Black 2.5 Tranny as I am the 3.3 Grey one but I do know there is a Gear fro reverse and one for forward with Dohickeys that pop out at certain speeeds to engage the output shaft from what I have gathered but I appear to be having slippage in teh input gear/shaft or the secondary Gearing somehow.
    I guess I will re examine teh exploded views and see if I can trouble shoot this prior to diss assembling

RC Qualifier
    It has to be teh one way Bearing on the 4984 Gear or the Screw that Holds part 4988 in place ( that would be the device that shifts to second that is causing this. wait the one way bearing is disengaged ( so to speak ) when it is in second gear so I am totally Stumped well I guess i have no other choice but to tear down.
    I need to replace the bearings the the Left rear Turnbuckle/axle holders anyway I just noticed it appears a bearing self destructed sure is alot of play in that wheel for everything being snugged up has to be a Outer Bearing I assume (could be a Inner to I guess) I have both so I will just replace both of them.
    Kinda strange as what End of november I replaced them all with new ones and I even made a special potion of Marvel Mystery oil and White Lithium Grease for them and soaked them overnightin it.
    The Mystery oil gives it Flowability and corrosion protection and the grease gives it Stickyness or stay put in bearing ability lol.

RC Racer
    Well I tore the truck down tonight. No gears striped in the transmission. The slipper pads are worn pretty bad. Also the shoes for the front disc are worn and not worn equally. Off to find some replacement pads. What's the best way to adjust the slipper?

RC Qualifier
    Take a Allen and put it through the hole on the end of the shaft that the spur goes onto (it's on the opposite end from the spur gear) and put a wrench on the nut on the other end. Tighten it all of the way, then back off 1/4 to 1/2 turn.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by rcdriver5 View Post
    Take a Allen and put it through the hole on the end of the shaft that the spur goes onto (it's on the opposite end from the spur gear) and put a wrench on the nut on the other end. Tighten it all of the way, then back off 1/4 to 1/2 turn.
    When adjusting the clutch, what does tighter or too loose give you when driving the truck?

Tightening the slipper gets you less slippage, loosening it gives you more slippage.

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Racer
    Less slippage is faster more slippage is slower at top end.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildman4910 View Post
    I would look at the slipper clutch & engine clutch first before just asuming it is a trany problem.

What model Maxx do you have?
    Great call on the slipper. I tore it down. The pads were worn down. I installed a new set in these and it runs great. Now I need to figure out how to stop this. Now the brakes are not working. Not sure what's wrong because they were working.

Look at the pads if yours is 4908/07.

Otherwise look at the tube on the linkage aabd look at how much travel the arm is getting.

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildman4910 View Post
    Look at the pads if yours is 4908/07.

Otherwise look at the tube on the linkage aabd look at how much travel the arm is getting.
    I have a new set here. I'm going to put those on and see if that helps.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by sefh View Post
    I have a new set here. I'm going to put those on and see if that helps.
    I should have done it while it was torn down. Live and learn.

RC Racer
    New brake pads installed, slipper clutch adjusted and now it's ready to roll. Thank you all for your help.