RC poster

blew the engine in my slayer.

so i decided to run my slayer today and blew my engine. i don't know what caused it, because one second it was running fine then i heard a weird noise come from the engine then it revved up real high and i had to kill it. i took it apart and a small shard of metal was sitting on top of the piston. that shard came off the part of the connecting rod that attaches to the piston. does anyone know what could have caused it? also what type of engine should i get when i get a new one?

Ouch. Sorry for your loss. I'm not sure what broke from what you discribed, got an pictures?
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC poster
    this is what happened to the piston.

Last edited by Stephen-B; 01-26-2013 at 09:54 PM.

Wow. I've never seen that spot break before! I have no idea what could cause that spot to break! Maybe too lean, or too high of rpms? Also, thanks for the pictures, that helps. If you want a new engine, I would go with a O.S .21m. It's a direct fit with no mods, and alot of people really like it. Hope this helps!

RC Qualifier
    Are saying the con rod pin?? Must of snapped oddly enough! How long have you been running this engine?
    There is lots of engine options- novarossi 2.5 supercharged with pipe, dynamite .19, OS.21tm revo, picco .26 max, OS .18tm with pipe, RB concepts 323, RB concepts 523, sirio .27, trx3.3

RC poster
    i havent even ran a gallon of nitro through the engine.
    Last edited by Stephen-B; 01-26-2013 at 10:02 PM.

RC poster
    are all of those engines a direct fit for the slayer?

No. None are a direct fit, only the OS.21tm and any Traxxas engine is. All the rest need a big block engine mount.

RC poster
    ill probably end up going with the OS.21tm. but for now the truck is going to be sitting for a while.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    No. None are a direct fit, only the OS.21tm and any Traxxas engine is. All the rest need a big block engine mount.
    Wolf you better do some research before you tell guys wrong info don't you think... The dynamite is direct, the novarossi is direct comes with mount, OS engines use trx mount, picco with its mount is direct fit.. RB's come with mount. None of these engines are Big Blocks...
    Last edited by Ckeithnitro; 01-26-2013 at 10:48 PM.

RC Champion
    Last time I checked you can get a dynamite .19 new for $85

RC poster
    which of those engines is the best?

RC Qualifier
    Yeah it's cheap and suppose to be a good little engine for the price.. dynamite .19

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen-B View Post
    which of those engines is the best?
    I'm a picco lover so you know my answer Lol

Went on YouTube and tmaxx's n revo's with dynamite.19 and they rip pretty good with that engine
    Last edited by Double G; 01-27-2013 at 07:10 PM. Reason: merge, edit button would come in handy

RC Competitor
    How long have you had the truck maybe you could get a free motor from Traxxas.

Wolf you better do some research before you tell guys wrong info don't you think... The dynamite is direct, the novarossi is direct comes with mount, OS engines use trx mount, picco with its mount is direct fit.. RB's come with mount. None of these engines are Big Blocks...
    Gosh, just trying to help, no need to be rude!

RC Qualifier
    How is that being rude wolf?? You made a bold statement that was completely wrong.. Trying to help you to make sure of your statements you make are correct that's all man..

Actually the OS 18TM is discontinued. The 21TM replaced it.

If you've not even got a gallon ran through that motor definitely call up Traxxas and see what they can do for you before you go spending tons of money on aftermarket motors. If the problem was from a bad tune (not saying it was but it's always a possibility) the same thing could happen to you with a $300 motor and that would really bite. If Traxxas can't help you out with either a free replacement motor, you can ERP it and get a new one for like $120 or so.
    Last edited by CarGuy7a; 01-27-2013 at 07:58 PM.

RC Competitor
    Can't see the pictures, but you should be able to get a new piston, sleeve and con rod for under $75. Just rebuild the 3.3. I'd probably go with the OS 21TM though if you have the extra $$.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by CarGuy7a View Post
    Actually the OS 18TM is discontinued. The 21TM replaced it.

If you've not even got a gallon ran through that motor definitely call up Traxxas and see what they can do for you before you go spending tons of money on aftermarket motors. If the problem was from a bad tune (not saying it was but it's always a possibility) the same thing could happen to you with a $300 motor and that would really bite. If Traxxas can't help you out with either a free replacement motor, you can ERP it and get a new one for like $120 or so.
    Yeah ill call traxxas and see if i can get a free motor. because that motor always gave me problems when i tried to tune it. but if i cant get a free one, im fine with doing the ERP, its certainly cheaper than buying an aftermarket one, plus im not going to be racing this truck because i dont have any tracks near me that do nitro short course races.