Thread: Heatsink or no?

RC Competitor

Heatsink or no?

I have a motor fan/heatsink combo, but the fan just quit working. Should I put the heatsink without the fan on the motor, or leave the motor the way it is, without anything on it? Thanks

The heatsink will help dissipate heat. You can always buy a new fan. Is it an Integy heatsink fan setup? I have one on both of my trucks.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Champion
    One thing to remember is a heat sink alone will help to a point. When it has pulled all the heat it can absorb out of the can from that point all it does is hold heat to the motor can because it is super saturated with heat and can't absorb any more preventing cooling unles the heat sink can cool more than the can it is on to draw more heat from the can. I am a basher and what works for me is i start with no heat sink but I keep 4 in my tool box. When checking temps If they get to high for my liking I stop running and alternate heat sinks on the motor 2 at a time. My motor is back to ambient temp in no time. Basically when the motor gets hot with no heat sinks and you apply them they aren't already saturated with heat by being run. And by alternating when I swap by the time the second set of heat sinks are hot from pulling heat out of the can the first set have cooled off so they will pull more heat when I swap again. I can go from 165 to about 100 or less in can temp in a matter of 5 minutes.

RC Racer
    If it is the integy, my failed too a while back. Integy is just weak. I dremmeled off the fan mounts, then installed the castle fan over the top of the integy heat sink. A good fan with a heat sink, works great. And best of all, you can't see the integy product. Lol. Only thing is, my motor is a little longer, so you may need to modify the fan housing a little if you're running the velineon. Here's Picts, the heat sink is under there.

RC Competitor
    It is an Integy

RC Qualifier
    Gear your rig correctly. A heatsink and or fan is just a band aid. just my .02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Here in Cali when it's over 100 degrees outside, a fan is required!!! I went through a bunch of the integy fans, just like yours they would just quit. Search ebay for losi fan and get one, it'll bolt right to the integy heatsink and last alot longer.

Here is a link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Losi-LOSB936...item43b8214321
    Last edited by Mr.Bill; 02-14-2013 at 04:04 PM.
    rc10T3, TT Sparrowhawk XXB, Slash 4x4, 1/16 Rally

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrgold View Post
    If it is the integy, my failed too a while back. Integy is just weak. I dremmeled off the fan mounts, then installed the castle fan over the top of the integy heat sink. A good fan with a heat sink, works great. And best of all, you can't see the integy product. Lol. Only thing is, my motor is a little longer, so you may need to modify the fan housing a little if you're running the velineon. Here's Picts, the heat sink is under there.

This castle blower is exactly what I got! For $10, it's great! It takes heat off the motor by blowing air onto it, and it is a direct bolt on! The smallest tooth spur you can use is 52 tooth though, because the zip ties come around it, and touch the driveline cover, so beware, but it's a GREAT FAN! $10 on eBay and I also found it for $10 at my LHS.