RC Competitor

4962 Big Bore Shock Question

Are the 4962 aluminum Big Bore shocks actually shorter than the stock shocks like I have heard? I have a 3906 that I would like to upgrade the shocks on to these, but I really dont want them to be shorter than what I have already. I understand that the big bores come with 30 wt oil. Is this enough or should I use a heavier wt shock oil? Should I also upgrade the springs that come with the big bores? If so, which ones should I get? BTW, all I do is bash. Thanks.

RC Qualifier
    Hi,

Not significant shorter, use 50wt, not sure about springs as I have old Trinity maxx springs
    Here in the UK, but Maxx back in New Zealand

RC Qualifier
    i used 60wt oil in mine, with the stock red shocks that come with the big bores will not have enough power to push the shocks back out using a heavier weight, i used the old shock retainers from the old shocks and put them on the big bores and put a medium size spacer on the top. this works good for me. all i do is bash also. all i did was got 60wt oil and all i did was took the springs and all the other spring pieces off and switched them out with everything off the old plastic stock shocks. when i installed them with 60wt oil and the shocks they came with, this is how it was sitting when i pushed it down to see the recovery of the shocks...almost touching the ground with no spring back up at all. the difference between the big bore springs and stock spring diameter is almost a milimeter but if you take everything off the old shocks and put them on the big bores it works great, here is before(first pic) and after(second, used my tmaxx springs that are the same size)...

EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

RC Champion
    A lot of folks that use the Big Bore shocks put 50 to 60 at oil in them. They also get the white Traxxas progressive springs. Be careful if you order them though, there is a set made for the Slash and a set made for the E Maxx.

There are other good spring sets too. Raven RC, Integy, Team Associated to name a few.

RC Qualifier
    The stock red springs which ship with the Big Bores really are too soft, even with preload clips tacked on, though for general bashing the stock 30 weight oil is just fine. With that fluid, one red spring and one Gold Associated spring per corner stiffens the ride up to a perfect level, particularly with the shocks mounted in the outside point on the arms and one preload clip installed above the red spring in each corner. Not too soft so handling is taut, but supple enough to handle severe conditions. If the outside point is too stiff, moving them back in gives it that plush Maxx feel.

Shock Spring Options by Lunitic, on Flickr

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the help guys. I think I will either go with the 4 MGT Gold springs or 8 white Traxxas Progressive springs. Or do I also just need 4 of the white Traxxas Progressive springs to go with 4 red springs? Thanks.

RC Qualifier
    I think people generally run 8 progressive white springs as they're designed to be initially soft but transition to a stiffer rate the further they're compressed; running only one white would be excessively soft.

RC Competitor
    Ok thanks. I'll go with the white progressive springs. Should I stick with the 30 wt oil or go a little heavier like 45 wt? Thanks again.

RC Champion
    Personally I'd go with 50 or 60 at oil for starters.

RC Qualifier
    Here's some pics of the 3906 stock shock vs the Big Bores. The Big Bores have more travel when compressed but are equal when fully extended. http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...914058-3906-bl
    I run 30 wt. oil with the Big Bore springs and one shock spring spacer and it handles great.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I run 80wt with white springs. Works great over the rough stuff

RC Competitor
    My BB's came in and I installed them with the white progressive springs and 45 wt oil. I noticed that the springs are a little larger than the stock BB springs and I hope this wont be a problem. Because of the local snow I haven't had a chance to run it yet to see how they handle. I may get a set of gold springs to try out later on as well.

I really like tinkering with this old 3906. My wife bought it for me new several years ago and I've tried different upgrades on it including huge 40 series tires. Those ended up tearing up slipper clutches and spur gears. I have since gone back to the stock or stock size tires. I installed a Novak Super Duty ESC years ago but recently started using Venom 2S lipos with the stock motors and a pair of LVA's. For cooling I have a fan on the ESC and heat sinks on the motors. I'm careful how I run it cause I don't want to burn up the motors with the lipos.

I really don't want to go to the expense and trouble of doing a brushless mod on the truck. Luckily my wife bought me a Savage Flux to satisfy my need for monster speed. However I still always find myself coming back to the old E Maxx. Especially since I learned to use lipos in it.