RC poster

Keep dealing to my new E-Maxx (3903) - Advice Needed on Parts!

Hey Everyone

A mate of mine decided he was going to get a new Truggy the other day so i went along with him to the hobby shop and ended up walking out with a Traxxas E-Maxx 16.8v (3903) myself.

Much fun was to be had... Then i broke the Front Upper Suspension Arm.

No problems, replacement part from the shop and once again, fun was had. Now ive just broken another upper suspension arm, the rear Shock Tower and chipped out one of the front bulkhead screwholes.

=/

I bought it to bash about and do some jumps so kinda expected this - though perhaps not as quickly as i have haha.

Anyway, im down in New Zealand and from what i can tell hop-up parts are few and far between on our shores and the ones that are available are super expensive.

Hence, im doing an Internet order, *cue dramatic music* and because shipping will be costly want to get a bit at once to make it worth it. Obviously will be getting upgraded parts for the bits ive broken so far (been told RPM mostly everything) but wondering what else i should be looking at considering ill be doing alot of bashing about?

Shopping Cart currently contains:
    - RPM Front & Rear Bumpers (ive pretty much destroyed mine already)
    - RPM Shock Tower & Mount x 2
    - RPM A-Arms x 2
    - RPM True-Track A-Arm Conversion Kit

And am looking at:
    - GPM Aluminium Bulkheads Front & Rear (much cheaper than the Traxxas versions - are these any good?)
    - Replacement skid plates as they seem to be getting a bit of a pounding (would Ali be the go here or RPM ones?)

Is there anything else that would be suggested im missing or any advice on what i already have on my list?

Looking for a replacement body also but yet to find a 92 Toyota Hilux Surf body to go with my real-life truck..
    http://i.imgur.com/Q4kVVdT.jpg

Also if anyone has a good supplier at excellent prices they could recommend that would be brilliant, im looking at TowerHobbies.com and rcmart.com at the moment but have no experience with either so flying blind here

Help appreciated!
    Cheers
    Alex

RC Champion
    Tower is a good vendor!
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    check out flm fastlane machine they make some good bulkheads!
    rpm skids works pretty good!

RC Qualifier
    With all that RPM you may want to go with better shocks. RPM's don't break that easy because they are softer and more flexible than the stock plastic. However this ultimately increase the strain on some key components that then become structural such as the shocks. I would get the Traxxas big bores. And I would think twice before using the RPM shock towers. Buy some few extra stock ones and let them break. This will also help you to save the shocks.
    Not enough space here

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

RC Racer
    I am across the water from you in Tasmania, Australia. Very small state population of 500K. I live the capital, Hobart where we have 2 LHS's, one are complete and utter highway robbers and the other, never has anything useful. I buy everything I need off ebay. Apart from vehicles.

RC Champion
    welcome to the forum. the e-maxx has its days thats for sure. it is still a awesomely good basher. half the fun is repairing just as much as bashing. just have patience with the e-maxx. just like any other heavy rc. parts will break. have fun most of all.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

RC poster
    Hey Everyone

So in 2 weeks of ownership i have now gone through 2 x Shocktowers, 1 x Rear Bumper, 3 x Upper Suspension Arms and now 1 x Shock.

Having a lot of fun though! Its the jumps that are killing it, destroyed a shocktower on a decent jump - cable-tied it back together and then proceeded to bust open a shock after a good 10ft high jump onto grass today.

I see what you mean about the load being transferred with the towers reinforced but dont want to keep replacing them, they are $20 for a set of two here in NZ and i dont want to have to change them in and out all of the time so have added a set of big bore shocks to my shopping list. From what ive read these seem to be pretty good yeah?

So, shopping list has grown a little bit, now have..
    - RPM TrueTrak Kit
    - RPM A Arms x 2
    - RPM Skidplate Kit
    - RPM Front and Rear Bumpers
    - RPM Shocktower x 2
    - RPM Axel Carriers and Oversize Bearing kit
    - Traxxas Bigbore Shock set
    - RCDamper Front & Rear Ali Bulkheads & Spacers
    - Pro-Line Body
    - More clips & Batteries
    - Stainless steel suspension arm pins

Hopefully this will make it a little more indestructible!

As always, suggestions and feedback very much welcome!
    Cheers
    Alex.

RC Champion
    I like most of your list except:

RPM Carriers - Many complain they are too soft. If your going to do hard bashing and high jump you won't like the RPM carriers for very long. Get a good quality set of aluminum carriers, maybe STRC.

Hinge Pins - Look into Lungford Racing for the Titanium pins. They hold up well and don't cost a lot. Serious bashers that think out of the box have used hardened Ejector Pins as hinge pins. Check this thread out:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...lkhead-problem

RC Damper - I don't know anything about there products. But just from looking at their eBay page I'd do some serious research before buying their aluminum stuff. You may find they use cheap soft aluminum which will do you no good.

Just for an idea, here's what I did to help save the new Pro-Line body:

I saved some of the clear Lexan that you trim off. I cut 4 - 3/4" (19mm) disks and drilled a hole in the center large enough to fit over the body post. They go on first, then I put the clips on. This way some of the force is distributed over the surface of the disks. Also, I used 1" wide Gorilla tape on the inside of the body. I ran a strip from the back side of one wheel well to the other. I also did this on the front. It seems to help the corners for getting cracked. Lastly, I put four 2"x2" (50mm x 50mm) pads of Gorilla Tape on the inside at the body post holes. Again, this seems to help save the body from damage around the body posts.