Hybrid View

RC Qualifier

Screw Rust Remover

What type of product would get rust off of screws from an rc? Need it for my Slash screws and want some for my Summit incase it ever rusts. Any products that will remove rust?
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC poster
    A product called CLR (calcium, lime, rust) works great. Just soak, brush as needed and rinse with plenty of water. Treat with WD-40 and re-install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    i use this stuff called Deep Creep that can be bought at advanced auto parts store anywhere, i spray the screws and let them sit for a min, then hit the head of the screw with a old toothbrush and they look brand new.
    EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

RC Qualifier
    Thanks. Will make a sweep into town and see if I can find any of those two things.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Qualifier
    with the deep creep, you just have to let them sit and take them out hit with the brush and wipe with paper towel or rag and it leaves a little bit of the deep creep on there and helps them from rusting again. you can also put some on a rag and hit up the screws that are visible(on the bottom) to keep them from rusting. good luck and hope you find some
    EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

RC Qualifier
    What would take the rust residue off off the plastic?
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Enthusiast
    If I would have done this to all my rusty Summit screws....[IMG][/IMG]

RC Champion
    +1 CLR. That stuff's awesome!
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Enthusiast
    If you will have to screw them out, you better change them into stainless ones, i.m.o.
    So you solve the rust problem forever.
    I never had any issues with my ss screws.

RC poster
    Scrape as much of the rust off the nail as you can. Sandpaper will work best for the nail shaft. It can also work for the nail head, but a wire brush can work for that part also.

Or apply WD-40 or other oil-based lubricant to the nails. Spray the lubricant liberally and then wipe it and the rust off with a cloth. Make sure you do this somewhere where you don't mind getting the oil on the floor or table.

If all else fails, use an industrial rust remover for metals: http://www.protectivepackaging.net/rust-remover

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by tnguyengp View Post
    Or apply WD-40 or other oil-based lubricant to the nails. Spray the lubricant liberally and then wipe it and the rust off with a cloth. Make sure you do this somewhere where you don't mind getting the oil on the floor or table.

+1 to wd40. Its safe on plastics, displaces the rust and prevents rust from forming. Be liberal with it, and let it dry for a day or so before you run in anything dusty.
    It also lubes all the odd little places you overlook.
    It will attract some dirt, but surprisingly little. What it does attract, comes off easier then un-treated surfaces.

RC Competitor
    I used GT85 on all my cars great stuff.