RC Qualifier

Opinions and ?s on this gear case

http://www.hot-racing.com/index.cgi?...TE12GX01;c=430

Does or has any1 have/had this gear case and how does it work, all pics I've looked at haven't had a protective case over the pinion/spur gears if I do choose this gear case/mount do I just buy the part that goes over the pinion/spur and if so does any1 know which 1s would fit

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by XRated View Post
    http://www.hot-racing.com/index.cgi?...TE12GX01;c=430

Does or has any1 have/had this gear case and how does it work, all pics I've looked at haven't had a protective case over the pinion/spur gears if I do choose this gear case/mount do I just buy the part that goes over the pinion/spur and if so does any1 know which 1s would fit

looks like it should take the stock cover the screw holes are in the same places
    Anza Slash & a pile of Parts

RC Qualifier
    alright thanks I was thinking that but it was kinda confusing

RC Qualifier
    rag6 has it in his pictures as part of his Slash 2wd mt feeler - Thread

RC Qualifier
    I'll check it out right now

RC Qualifier
    oh yea I seen it but his pinion/spur is exposed, and It does look like the stock cover would fit but I would like to get an aluminum cover for it as well to act as a heatsink

DBG has that trans
    I haven't seen him around lately
    Try PMing him
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

An aluminum cover, Where do you live, on the equator?
    Someone probable makes them,but unless it's 150 degrees where you live,that,s just extra weight.
    I think your really your taking this heat thing ,a bridge to far.
    I live in Michigan and in the summer we run in 90+ degrees a lot,heat can be an issue if you don't gear for the track,but your worrying way to much over nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by XRated View Post
    oh yea I seen it but his pinion/spur is exposed, and It does look like the stock cover would fit but I would like to get an aluminum cover for it as well to act as a heatsink
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Qualifier
    It's already hit 85+ a couple times, summer it's usually 100+ everyday I'm in Temecula, CA or part of Riverside county and I live by the mountains this area gets HOT

Okay,but gear your truck right,and you'll be fine,you keep adding weight to dissipate heat,and you start to defeat the purpose
    Good luck,have fun rc ing.

RC Qualifier
    alright the past few days I've been running 23/86 and like I said before I was running 16/90 and even on 16/90 motor was getting hot but I'll take the advice from more experienced people thanks again

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    That HR tranny is a hybrid. It has a graphite gearbox and an aluminum motor plate. The weight of this box isnt much more over stock. You should see temps decrease somewhere around 10 vs what it used to be. HR also sells an alloy cover, but you can bolt up your stock plastic one or an RPM one that I suggest. The RPM one has a full cover where it will keep rocks from coming in.

Another option is the new RPM gearbox that utilizes a motor plate also. Hope this helps ya.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    The HR case is great, it is very light and the separate suspension mounts allow for easy anti squat adjustments with slightly modded wedges from the Nitro Rustler.

The new RPM case is better on two fronts though. The suspension mounts are 100% separate, so they don't attach to the case at all. This makes gearbox maintenance easier as you can leave the suspension arms attached to the chassis and just remove the tranny.

Secondly the bumper mount is exactly as stock with the RPM case. It isn't with the HR. The bumper attaches solely to the motor plate on the HR tranny and this isn't as robust a solution as what the RPM case does.

I'm incredibly happy with my HR case, but if the RPM case had existed when I bought the HR case I would have gotten that instead.

Sent from CM10 Android device using Tapatalk 2.

RC Qualifier
    Could have went with the cc and had no problemslol jk. I live in so cal ad well and add a fan to the esc and gear it right. Everything else is overkill

RC Qualifier
    alright thanks will keep you updated w/ my choice

I have two rpm's,the one in the pic,and a green one I just got today.
    Even tho I was running indoors,(it's quite cold here)I notice almost a 20 to 25 degree demp drop,from stock.
    With the pro line trans, I noticed about a 10 degree temp drop,if the trans would last a pack with out problem's.
    I run my trucks hard,the case is 29 bucks,but the sealed cover,is sepert and cost another 6 bucks[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by billy-bones; 01-26-2013 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cunawarit View Post
    The HR case is great, it is very light and the separate suspension mounts allow for easy anti squat adjustments with slightly modded wedges from the Nitro Rustler.

I probably already asked you but, do those HR mounts have toe-in? Looking at the machined silver line in the mounts, they appear to have toe-in, but I can't find any info on how much or if there are different mounts for different amounts of toe.

Depending on what the answer is, it would be a toss-up for me between this and the RPM case.

It just says aluminum a arm plate,visually I cant see any toe setting,the rpm's come with clearly marked and visibly, 0 and 3 degree mounts.
    Quote Originally Posted by harry697 View Post
    I probably already asked you but, do those HR mounts have toe-in? Looking at the machined silver line in the mounts, they appear to have toe-in, but I can't find any info on how much or if there are different mounts for different amounts of toe.

Depending on what the answer is, it would be a toss-up for me between this and the RPM case.

Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    It just says aluminum a arm plate,visually I cant see any toe setting,the rpm's come with clearly marked and visibly, 0 and 3 degree mounts.
    That's a big plus for the RPM case. I would like to see them make 1 degree mounts too, so you can get 4 degrees out of the Slash rear. Not a big deal though.

If you look at the pic in the link from the first post, it definitely doesn't look like the arm mount is parallel to the trans case, which leads me to believe there is toe built-in. If that's the case, I can't understand why HR wouldn't document it. Well, maybe they did and I just haven't looked hard enough.

RC Qualifier
    alright I've looked into it and going to go w/ the rpm choice

Even tho you haven't had your slash long,if your going in to the trans case,I would put thicker grease in the diff,(you said it's hot there)and replace the diff bearings,as there the first to go.
    Its three extra dollars but no extra work.

RC Qualifier
    thanks for the info what's a good grease that I can pick up at my lhs

RC Champion
    I run the rpm tranny case, and it's excellent. A definite thumbs up from me.

For grease, go to your local auto parts store and pick up a tube of Lucas Red N' Tacky. That stuff is thick, and won't sling off the gears. It'll be around 4-5 bucks, the same price for a tiny tube of grease at the LHS.

Get good high temp car bearing grease,,Mobile one synthetic car bearing grease,that's what Dr.Isotope suggests.

RC Qualifier
    thanks again for all the help

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by harry697 View Post

They don't have toe in, it is the same as the stock case.

Quote Originally Posted by cunawarit View Post
    They don't have toe in, it is the same as the stock case.
    Bummer. Do you see what I mean in the OP's link though?

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    No toe in on any(3 different in 5 years) of the HR gearcases I have Had. Unless u need a full alum case, rpm it is for the win.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    I'm scrapping my GH alloy case for a new RPM hybrid one. I need to try one of these puppies anyways. Sounds like my gears and new Triad Slipper are going to have a new home.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    just ordered the Black RPM case with the black cover need to hide it make it look stock

Now if I had your po box,I could have had you covered.[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Quote Originally Posted by skye View Post
    just ordered the Black RPM case with the black cover need to hide it make it look stock

At least on the cover,when I bought the truck second hand,it had a black rpm solid cover,the case was stock black.
    I didn't know they made a black stock case.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    Yeah, the original pede/rusty/bandit came with black plastics. Then around 05-06 they switched to grey plastics. Recently they brought the black back with the raptor and MJ pedes...
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

Oh I see,since I just jump t back in the hobby about eleven months ago,and quit about 1986,It's still all new to me.
    I'm really quite surprised how much off my racing skills,came back so well.I mean I'm not always in last place any way. But the cover is a closed rpm aftermarket.
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Yeah, the original pede/rusty/bandit came with black plastics. Then around 05-06 they switched to grey plastics. Recently they brought the black back with the raptor and MJ pedes...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    Now if I had your po box,I could have had you covered.[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

its all good Billy. glad winter is here gives me something to do and the wife leaves me alone