RC poster

Angry mini summit problems new to 1/16

Hey guys i just picked up a 1/16 summit it is brushed at the moment and im going brushless soon with it but right now it has a 550 with a xl5 (1/10 esc) my lipos are ordered so i stuck a 1200nimh in to bash around since my ruster had a nasty crash and is disabled at the moment and the wife wanted to run less than 5 min it was dead and battery will almost burn your hand I thought maybe bad battery so i put in 2 1200 on parrael and less than 5 min dead one battery hot other not even warm so I swaped esc same thing again so while i was recharging I tore down the whole truck everything checked out good no binds just ran it again prob 4 min dead Ive only had it since friday and dont know much about 1/16 but my lil kyle busch truck I bought last week will run 30 min on the 2 I seen it has a 31/45 gearcould that be it ? im just so upset with it I dont know what to do!

RC Racer
    So if I read this right you are running a 10th scale motor and speed control? And running the stock mini batteries? If so thats your problem. The small batteries dont have the capacity to run the bigger motor and speed control.
    Clod Crawler/4X4 Slash/1/16 Summit /1/10 Summit

RC poster
    The 550 is stock just like my Kurt Busch truck that is 1/16 but the esc is a 1/10 but I've seen a lot of the others running them with no problems reason being to get the lipo shutoff

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    31/45 is EXTREMELY heavy... that is probably the issue.

Not trying to lecture, but a little punctuation makes what you type easier to read.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC poster
    Any ideas on what I should be running? I run 23/86 on my rustler and 19/90 on my wifes pede but I'm not sure on 1/16 I'm new to 1/16 my rally has a 23/45 and it flies I tried it on the summit and it would hardly take off I've spent all day trouble shooting this thing

RC poster
    Ha and sorry about the punctuation .. I just I'm so use to iPhones theses days I forgot how to use a desktop :b. thank you for you help tho ! Maybe I can fig it out . I just really like this little summit I hope I get it fixed

16th Summit is somewhere around 16/50 or 16/55.
    Slow on take off usually suggests geared too high.

RC poster
    Yep I just found it finally stock is 16/45 . It just blows my mind when I put the 23 pinion in it it would hardly take off and it's fast out of the hole with the bigger gear , maybe I grabbed a dead battery by mistake is all I can think of ? Lol if I did this is been one hard lesson learned ! Plus I just read if geared to high it will have a 4 min run time with a hot battery and that's mine to the T . I just ordered a 16t I'm not gonna run it till I put it on, guess its rustler repair till then!Thank you sir for your help Jimmie!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    The power system would have NO effect on the batteries being drained differently when running parallel. If one was hotter than the other it suggest a bad pack or that one pack started at a lower voltage than the other.

Also, the XL5 will not, in any way, be harder on your mini packs than the XL 2.5. Ive run this setup on a bunch of vehicles with both stock nimh and lipo batteries and the only difference is that the XL5 doesnt get overly hot when running. IMO, your only issue was that you were WAY overgeared. I would have been interested to know the temp of the motor after your short 4minute runs. IMO, even overgeared you should have got more than 4 minutes but overgearing will significantly reduce run times. You have to remember. Its got way bigger tires than your KB or rally... so its final drive ration (to the ground) is WAY higher. With the 550 brushed motor you should be safe at around 18/55 or probably even 20/55... You cant physically fit anything lower than 17/55 with the stock RX box cover and a brushed motor. But 31/45 is REALLY high for this truck.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    To me it sound like a bad Battery cell and WAY over Geared so fix those two things and you should be good!

RC poster
    Yea I was amazed when I started researching gearing on them I've only had 1/10s till I just bought these 2 the kb was brand new so no issues with it I don't know why in the world the guy would had put that gearing in but I hope that's all that it needs. It does have an HR motor plate on it I ordered a 16 to run with the 45 I have a 19 pinion ill order a 50 and a 55 spur and do some experimenting I don't really care for speed I have 2 fast cars I want one to climb around with to see if I want to get a 1/10 summit I'm on the fence lol thanks for your help guys

If it has a titan 12t or similar sized motor your 16t pinion wont fit with the 45t spur. Even with a 55t spur it wont fit. I had to go to a 17/55 combo on my daughters summit. The motor will hit the RX box cover.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC poster
    Your right pavmentsufer! I was just about to post that it will not work! I'm getting so frustrated with this thing! What was the factory gear that came with it? And how does the 17/55 work? Thanks Tim

RC Qualifier
    i think 23/50 or 55 i may be wrong tho!

RC poster
    I ordered a 17 and a 55 from tower hobbies about an hour ago ! Going to get this thing going if it kills me lol. Tower hobbies had a $20 off anything over 149 so I got an extra brushless Velineon 1/10 esc and motor so i got to decide either the summit or the kb truck gets a real BB lol

RC Racer
    According to the traxxas parts list the stock gearing for a brushed 1/16 summit is 25/55, sounds about right to me because stock in the 1/16 digger is 23/55, that's just because the diggers tires are a little bigger.

Stock on the brushless 1/16 summit is 16/50
    Last edited by CHKMATE ELUDER; 01-30-2013 at 02:21 AM.

The lower gearing works on the brushless model because the brushless motor is only a 380 diameter so it can be moved closer to the RX box. Its the size of the Titan 550 motor thats the problem.

The 17/55 is JUST meshing enough for me to feel good about it. I have the trans gears flipped as well and im running it on traning mode for my daughter. Im also not using the titan 550, im using an Electrifly S-600. So any experience I have isnt valid to your setup.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC poster
    Thanks everyone I went with a 18/55 and it is just what I wanted ! I runs a mechanic shop and I been climbing all kinds of stuff in the shop with it !even a few of my techs legs! Lol yea I'm that annoying boss at work:b I'm running a 2s lipo 20c with it and it runs prob 20 min on just one battery now rather than 5 but after a week I had to replace the 550 and i had just put it on .... I got an 3500 vxl system in Friday and stuck it on the Kyle Busch truck ...... I think that was a bad idea blows the tires off and to be honest it's not fast either my 380 will hand it to the 3500 I don't get it but as you can tell I suck at gearing ...it had a 28/45 I tried a 28/55 and no better , I wonder if I should put it on the summit ? I fell like I just blew 170 bucks really

28/45 is faster than 28/55.

The 3500 spins 500 RPM slower per volt than the stock 380.

RC poster
    That's crazy I never would have thought that ! I knew i should have asked you first ! i posted in a deff thread but no answers I ordered a brushless 380 today what gear should I use on a drift tire you think with a 2s? And will the 1/10 esc work with the 380?

The bigger the pinion, the faster you go
    The smaller the spur, the faster you go

Yes, the 3S will work with the V380.

You should be fine with either one of those combos with a drift tire (28/45&50).

I must have missed the other post.

RC poster
    Its ok It was in another thread you guys are great , ill just save the 3500 as a back up for one of my 1/10s ..... One more question if you don't mind I ran my summit today with the xl5 with a 550 with 2 2000mah 20c lipos in parallel with the 18/55 it ran over half an hour no probs ran great cut it off bout an hour later powered it up again and motor shot again just replaced it yesterday guess the brushed just can't handle the lipos?

Brushes cannot handle the run time... the brushes themselves get hot, their material is quite soft so the heat just makes them softer and wear faster.