RC Competitor

Brushless upgrade

Hey guys im interested in upgrading the stock motor and esc to a brusless system. whats the pros and cons if there is any. I don't care about crazy speed, the speed that it does it great for me, if i wanted more speed i'll use my other R/C's. i just want it to be able to crawl like it does and do every that the summit can do. Thanks

RC Qualifier
    Really not that many pros if you aren't looking for speed IMO, the stock system works well, most people upgrade the motor to a dewalt 14.4v motor, it does have more torque and a little more top speed than the stock motor, and it has replaceable brushes and bearings, unlike the stock motor.

Sent from my iPhone 5

RC Competitor
    thanks for the info so a Dewalt 14.4 volt and where would i get that im down to try that specially cause its dewalt, thats my last name

RC Qualifier
    jer,
    Been there, done that. TRUST me,...upgrading to the DeWalt will not satisfy you. I did the DeWalt and I'm not even sure I noticed a difference. Waste of time and money. Then I recently upgraded to sensored brushless and WOO HOOOOOOO!!!!!! HUGE difference and so much more fun. Worth every penny. You can get sensored BL systems for as low as about $200.

RC Competitor
    thanks for the tip mrhammer2u the one you have installed is it still awesome for crawling, and what did you get , got any links?

RC Qualifier
    I suggested the dewalt setup as the op said he wasn't interested in speed, but if speed is what you want then brushless is the way to go, and there are some great sensored systems that will allow you to have the ability to crawl. As posted by hammer, brushless makes this truck a different beast, which can break parts. Weigh your options and go with what is what is best for you. Good luck and god bless.

Sent from my iPhone 5

RC poster
    I have a mamba system in my summit(stock gearing) and I'm very happy man. No broken parts after 4 months. Lots of fun!

RC Qualifier
    jer rock,
    I had a Castle MMP ESC and bought a Tekin T8 2250kv motor to go with it. You can find these anywhere. Towerhobby has good prices.

Since it's a sensored motor it crawls amazing. The sensored motor allows for very slow and controlled movements with no cogging unlike unsensored motors. Plus with the added speed if I get into a jam/hill climb/slippery slope/etc,...I have the wheel speed to power out of it. So now I crawl like a boss and can keep up with my e-revo friends (unless they are running 6s).

And OF COURSE you want more speed : ) That's like the skinny guy at the gym who says "I don't wanna get too ripped".

Also going that route you can upgrade by parts. Both the Tekin and the MMP can run the titan 775 brushed motor. So you can buy the $80 mmp and buy the motor later.

Plus with the brushless set up you will get automatic lipo cutoff AND drag-brake. No more rolling backwards uncontrollably down hills.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    The new EVX 2 has a lipo cutoff. It's also waterproof. I FULLY disagree that the dewalt is a waste. If your not after more speed, it's an excellent upgrade and absolutely provides more torque and smoother low speed crawling. IMO the summit was not meant for brushless. That's what the ERBE is for. If you have a summit, use it like a summit. An EVX2/dewalt setup will provide all the power and torque you could ever need from this truck for typical crawling and trail running. You can get the dewalt motor on eBay for about $30. Takes an hour or so to do the work necessary to install it. So for $200 (wilhich would be the least you'll pay for any sensored brushless setup and it won't be waterproof) you get more speed, negligible improvement in slow speed crawling (if any at all) and adjustable drag brakes (which I agree IS a benefit to these systems). Or for $30 you can have 14.4 volts of torque that's smooth as butter, waterproof and rebuildable. In a summit, the choice is easy IMO.

For more affirmation the dewalt is the way to go, search the word dewalt in this forum. %99 of people who do the dewalt upgrade are %100 satisfied with it.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    The new EVX 2 has a lipo cutoff. It's also waterproof.
    I don't like the EVX 2 with low voltage detection, in my opinion it cuts you off way to soon ( 3.8 to 3.9 volts). I turn the low voltage detection off and rely on an alarm hooked to the lipo's. I get 15 plus more minutes of run time this way.

RC Qualifier
    is there a way to change the voltage cut off volts on the evx2?
    Slugs are just naturally aspirated snails

RC Qualifier
    4 pole 120A 4s sensored BL Motor & ESC = $120
    PM me for help converting your Summit to brushless

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by satyrisci View Post
    4 pole 120A 4s sensored BL Motor & ESC = $120
    To power a Summit?? Please share a link to this set up.

Quote Originally Posted by JoelRobbo View Post
    is there a way to change the voltage cut off volts on the evx2?
    No, there is not.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    okay thats a shame, and could we have a link to the 120 dollar brushless system please? even through pm?
    Slugs are just naturally aspirated snails

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepFriedOprah View Post
    I don't like the EVX 2 with low voltage detection, in my opinion it cuts you off way to soon ( 3.8 to 3.9 volts). I turn the low voltage detection off and rely on an alarm hooked to the lipo's. I get 15 plus more minutes of run time this way.
    which side are you testing as the LVC runs on the BEC side which discharges faster than the other side.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by DayWalker View Post
    which side are you testing as the LVC runs on the BEC side which discharges faster than the other side.
    All four cells are coming in at the same voltage. I dont know which side is the BEC side of the EVX-2

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepFriedOprah View Post
    All four cells are coming in at the same voltage. I dont know which side is the BEC side of the EVX-2
    Never mind i just found out which side is the BEC, through one of Jimmie Neutrons posts. All four cells are still at 3.7 ish volts when I plug them in to charge.