RC Racer

1200 mAh 6 cell 7.2v

Do you guys charge at 1C or 300mAh?

RC Champion
    For NiMh, 1C is the recommended max (in your case, 1.2 amps). Half C, or .5C, is better for the health of the cells in the long run (.6 amps).

Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Racer
    In the instruction says .3 amps for maximum life and takes 6 hrs to charge. Dude, how do hobbyist can wait that long?!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Tecboy View Post
    In the instruction says .3 amps for maximum life and takes 6 hrs to charge. Dude, how do hobbyist can wait that long?!
    Generally speaking, electric guys own several batteries and a charger that can charge multiple packs at once. That way, we can play longer.

Notice how it said ".3 amps for maximum life." That doesn't mean you can't charge the pack at 1C. Just understand that the harder you charge 'em, the shorter their life.

For what it's worth, I still charge my NiMh packs at 1C and have never had one go bad on me. I have several that are really old!

RC Qualifier
    Get more batteries lol. That's another reason why most go the lipo route and put the nimh in a box somewhere or sell them. Lipos are getting to be very inexpensive, and the performance has gone up tremendously, batteries that fit in the palm of your hand able to produce 125amps or more in some cases. But yes charging at the lowest rate possible is the best way to charge nimh if you want to keep the batteries for a long time.

Sent from my iPhone 5

RC Racer
    Now I have twin packs. Is it okay to charge both at a same time using a Y connector?

RC Qualifier
    Now I have twin packs. Is it okay to charge both at a same time using a Y connector?
    I'd like to know that too

RC Champion
    I've never used a Y-connector. BUMP so someone else can answer...how does that work?

RC Racer
    I got the answer from another community forum, but I don't know I should post a link to this one.

RC Champion
    I got the answer from another community forum, but I don't know I should post a link to this one.
    Better send a PM to ksb51rl -- he's one of the mods for this forum (he's slapped my hand a couple of times, too

RC poster
    you can charge 2 nimh in series but not in parallel. this is because chargers have a peak detect function and that is how it knows to stop charging the battery. the charger will just keep going until something blows. in series, the charger is essentially only charging one battery. just make sure your charger can handle 12 cells nimh.

also does anyone know the discharge rating of the series one 6 cell nimh? What is the "C" rate, continuous and peak?
    Last edited by cornholio223; 01-31-2013 at 11:30 AM.