RC poster

3rd glowplug in a week

I just bought a revo 3.3 about a week ago and since then I have had to replace the glow plug three times. I have tried to adjust the mixture in hope that it would allow the glowplug to last longer, but it seems that I only get about three or four tanks per plug. I don't know what to do, or what I'm doing wrong. Please help!! Oh yeah I don't use the EZ start wand, I use a glowplug iginitor, not sure if that would cause any problems. Also I use the O.S. 8 glowplugs.
    Last edited by THEtom7; 01-24-2013 at 07:20 PM.

RC Champion
    Are you running too lean or too rich? Either way, you can burn through plugs quickly...

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ul-Tuning-tips
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Enthusiast
    I use glowplub iginitors over the ez start wire this will not cause issues. I use o.s 8s and traxxas plugs. they are the best plugs to me. Is the bottom of the plug very dark or still like new. if dark too lean, if like new too rich. tuned right, I had a plug last two months. LHS use to tell me that one plug can go out in one start or last as many as 300. So it could be just the nature of the plugs.

RC Enthusiast
    To dark is lean ? You will find you experience carbon build up when running rich not lean.

Too lean is if the plug looks all distorted/ and or the coil looks nothing like a new one.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Not sure about plugs,That's what I was told by a buddy of mine. I've never had a problem with plugs. I will look this up myself.

RC Champion
    O.S. #8 plugs are "old reliable," so to speak! Check out those tuning tips and see where you might be going wrong...
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Finisher View Post
    To dark is lean ? You will find you experience carbon build up when running rich not lean.

Too lean is if the plug looks all distorted/ and or the coil looks nothing like a new one.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using tapatalk
    Not true at all. Running lean allows the spent gases to bake onto the piston, as opposed to being flushed away by a proper or slightly rich tune. You are right about the plug coil.

THEtom, you are most likely running it too lean, richen it up til you know it's too rich, then tune it from there.
    Last edited by lubecakes; 01-26-2013 at 06:29 AM.
    erbe emaxx 26maxx s27revo 18tmrevo XXL platinum

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by lubecakes View Post
    Not true at all. Running lean allows the spent gases to bake onto the piston, as opposed to being flushed away by a proper or slightly rich tune. You are right about the plug coil.

THEtom, you are most likely running it too lean, richen it up til you know it's too rich, then tune it from there.
    okay i will do just that. Also I was wondering if my idle being slightly high would cause this. What's the best way to adjust the idle

RC Racer
    just set ur idle gap with a normal size papper clip works for me anyways.. when i first got my revo i had same problem with glow plugs but now once i learned how to tune it the right way i dont have any problems iv been using same one now for bout 5 months

RC Champion
    Yeah start with the idle gap....1mm or less. I have a very small drill bit that I use.
    erbe emaxx 26maxx s27revo 18tmrevo XXL platinum