RC Enthusiast

New to RC Planning on a REVO 3.3 what to expect

So ive been wanting one of these since i was like 12. not a revo in specific or a nitro powered rc but a fast larger RC car. so im 28 now and ran into extra cash and need a hobby and after a decent amount of research mind is set on a revo 3.3 RTR brand new.

Now as i said never even driven a nitro before seen a couple in my life but im a rather smart person and a quick learner.

question is what should i expect from this beast can you all give me a heads up of what im getting into for $600 of fun?. what should i purchase with it beside traxxas nitro 20%

i see there will be alot of support and help and parts for this thing so ot to worried about that aspect
    fully aware of the importance to break the motor in to the T wich i plan on doing well. doesnt sound to complicated im good at following directions and have alot of commen sence.

also its winter here in CT is it a BAD idea to attempt breakin below 50 or 40F ?? not sure if id realisticly beable to let this beast sit in a box until march

well thanks for all the help ive read on this wonderfull forumn already that convinced me to go into this hobby and all advice is welcome thank you

RC Champion
    My advice (as a former glo engine pilot): learn the fine art of tuning your engine. They can be a little fussy at times, and sometimes an inexperienced hand can make problems worse.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ul-Tuning-tips.
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zippogeek View Post
    My advice (as a former glo engine pilot): learn the fine art of tuning your engine. They can be a little fussy at times, and sometimes an inexperienced hand can make problems worse.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ul-Tuning-tips.
    Thanks for quicker link to that in remember reading that during my research now when I need it will be easy to find

So far def. Going to need glow plug for after break in seems to need replacement often

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

RC Qualifier
    Out of the box a gallon of fuel is pretty much all youll need. Wouldnt be a bad idea to grab a couple extra glow plugs just to have and to change after brake in. After break in skys the limit and of course wallet size helps to. Aftermarket parts and hop ups will come as you get a feel for your Revo and driving style and what terrain you will be on the most. As a beginner i highly suggest getting a wing for your Revo. It will offer alot of protection to the engine most importantly. Most common hop up is Steel CVDs, a tuned pipe of some sort(the THS1046 is pretty popular and what im gonna run) and RPM A-arms. Good luck and post pics when you get it.
    " You just got passed by a Traxxas"

RC Competitor
    Lots of great guys on here!! I check posts almost every day. You will use the search a lot. Lol. They are great trucks. You can customize everything on it and make it your own. And I have almost as much fun tinkering as I do bashing. Good luck and have fun. Read everything you can find on tuning!!!!!

RC Champion
    Have you thought about electric?
    less mess and hassle, just plug in and drive.
    I recently sold my 4 Nitro Revos and went electric.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zepher View Post
    Have you thought about electric?
    less mess and hassle, just plug in and drive.
    I recently sold my 4 Nitro Revos and went electric.
    Yes I have contemplated this idea. But for me I just feel it takes half the experience away from the hobby as previous post we said. Half the fun is tinkering around with everything nitro=more tinkering= more fun for me everyone's different though

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by NvDesertRat96 View Post
    Out of the box a gallon of fuel is pretty much all youll need. Wouldnt be a bad idea to grab a couple extra glow plugs just to have and to change after brake in. After break in skys the limit and of course wallet size helps to. Aftermarket parts and hop ups will come as you get a feel for your Revo and driving style and what terrain you will be on the most. As a beginner i highly suggest getting a wing for your Revo. It will offer alot of protection to the engine most importantly. Most common hop up is Steel CVDs, a tuned pipe of some sort(the THS1046 is pretty popular and what im gonna run) and RPM A-arms. Good luck and post pics when you get it.
    Will my lhs most likely carry a wing. If not do u recommend a place online.

Would a tuned pipe just improve performance. Does it make them louder??

RC Qualifier
    A good tuned pipe will increase performance. Some, like the trinity, will make it louder. My THS pipe is pretty quiet and great performer.
    One shot.....One kill, no exceptions

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by bloody wheels View Post
    A good tuned pipe will increase performance. Some, like the trinity, will make it louder. My THS pipe is pretty quiet and great performer.
    gotcha thanks performance is good but these things seem loud enough wouldnt want it any louder. are tires that come with it good like should i get specific tires to run on pavement and others for the dirt ? can you reccomend a good set of tires for all around

again ill have some extra cash so if i can get everything i will need for the next month of bashing at one time ill be happy so just curious what will break first whats most replacable part.

how long to air filters last
    glow plugs last?
    etc

Wd40 or afterrun oil is there a big difference? thanks everyone for help and opinons AHH I CANT WAIT

also can anyone answer about the cold weather thing i know idealy warm weather is better but if its 40 degrees out should i attempt a break in? read i can put a sock or something on cooler should help warm it up a bit. use hairdryer prior to starting start inside then go out etc etc but nobody mentioned if there were doing this in 20 degree weather or 50 degrees thanks guys

RC Qualifier
    The stock tires are ok. Im running proline badlands right now. For a traxxas brand tire, I really like the talons that come on the erevo. They do "good" in all types of surfaces.
    One shot.....One kill, no exceptions

RC poster
    welcome to the wonderful world of nitro.i own a few revo's.imo get the extended rear arms and extra front arms,rod ends,spur gears get a few of these to try different gearing ratio's and if you case it and strip it you'll have a spare.but the revo is very strong.i figured out over time that if you don't have a lhs the when you go make it worth the drive or if ordering off ebay get more than 1 when ordering (on replacement parts).
    this hobby is worth every hundred dollar bill...smile on my face priceless!

part #'s to get imo 5332 frt. a-rms
    5331 frt. a-rms
    5333r ext. rear arms
    5348 rod ends
    3954 36t spur gear
    3954 38t sg
    3955 40 t sg
    5352r hd slipper clutch

imo this is just a list of stuff i break or change around to try different set-up's.

RC Qualifier
    Its hard to say if your lhs will carry a wing or not. As far as glow plugs they could last 1-4hrs of use. Make sure you get the long hot glow plugs. The short glow plugs lower compression.

THS1406 pipe isnt much louder than the stock pipe and give a lil more low and mid range power.

Tires that come with it are pretty meaty and will work on any surface. I myself use the Proline Mashers and looking into getting a set of Badlands. For street my buddy has a set of Road Rage they are pretty grippy tires.

The stock air filter will last quit a while and it will come with a extra. They are washable with hot soapy water. I would suggest some kind of air filter oil.

As far as break in cold weather im not sure i got my in late fall when it was still 50ish out. Its winter now and i run it 15-20* temps in the snow all the time. I would call Traxxas tech line and ask what they recommend about cold weather break in.
    " You just got passed by a Traxxas"

RC Competitor
    I would say get a good set of hex drivers, extra air filters, temp gun, glow plugs, filter oil, after run oil. Once its broken in and running good then maybe start trying different bodies wheels/tires to change its look. This is a great hobby and I too have always wanted a nitro RC car since I was a kid and now at age 29 I love my Revo! Enjoy it! Post some pics once you get it.

RC Competitor
    Welcome to the madness. A lot of great suggestions, but the best tool you can have in your toolbox when jumping into nitro for the first time is patience. Not every break-in, in fact, hardly any go exactly by the book. There's just too many outside variables. Don't break out in a sweat if your throttle has to be open a little past 1/4 on the first tank to get it to roll. If you release the throttle and it dies, restart it and don't let the throttle all the way off. Get through the break-in process without losing control of your temper, your new wheels, or your wallet. There will be plenty of time to blow money on upgrades later. Trust me when I tell you it becomes an addiction. After buying my first 2 new in a box, I built my next 2 the way I wanted, 1 or 2 pieces at a time, from E-Bay. Take it slow and give yourself a clear area away from distractions when getting to know each other. Trying to impress a third party at this time usually doesn't end well (except for your local hobby shop). The 3.3 has a very tight pinch, especially when new, and breaking-in when cold puts a lot of stress on the connecting rod. Remember, patience. When that 50 degree day does arrive, I'd suggest pre-heating the block prior to starting anyway. A temperature guage is a handy tuning tool as long as you do not become obsessed with chasing a magic temp, it's a guide. A fail-safe has saved my Revo on a couple occasions and is cheap insurance. Remember that hobbies are for stress relief, take your time and enjoy.
    My wife don't understand!

RC Racer
    i wouldnt brake it in below 40 degrees i have once before and the motor just never seemed to run right once it was hot out side... i now have 2 motors and i use one in winter and one in summer the one i brook in when it was cold runs grate in the cold and the one i brook in during summer is the complete opposite ......if i was u id wait till its warm to brake it in ... i my self will never again brake in below 40 degrees ...

for after run oil i just use wd40 seems to work fine for me

things to get right away temp Gage air filter oil glow plugs maybe extra spur gear or 2 set of tools be a good idea to id get some type of dry lube probably to wings good to have helps protect the important stuff id go ahead and get rpm front arms and go with true track in rear... i like true track because its one less thing to futs with when trying to tune ur truck from pulling one way or another rpm carriers in front is a good idea to they have over sized barrings which is just nice to have metal drive shafts are good to have to just make sure u get the extended rear cups for them or you with fight them once u raise ur truck ... or at least i did... the stock tires are ok i have 2 revos on one i blew them tires off the rim in first day wasnt to happy with that but on the other they lasted a good 2 or 3 months before i got new tires ... i have big joes for off road bashing and i have trenchers as well i like both haven't tried any other tires yet tho..... but for allot of parts id say just look on ebay u can find just about anything u need for way less money .. most the time .....

RC poster
    I was in the same boat as you bud. I always wanted a nitro truck and i ended up buying a brand new revo 3.3 in DEC 2012. I love tinkering as well and that was a large part in why i wanted a nitro truck and not electric. I had never driven a nitro car before and i just followed the break in procedure to a tee and it worked out good, i didn't have the low temp that you have to deal with though, it should be the same breaking it in with the low temp but you'd just have to adjust how lean or rich you run it at. I raced dirt bikes all my life, so it was easy to tune it right. I love it and think it's well worth the money.

RC poster
    This would be the best reply on here. Everything about the 1/4 throttle to get it rolling was what i went through. I'd listen to this guy.

RC poster
    By that i mean HVNFNYT's post.

RC Competitor
    Thanks, Damianhead. The whole idea behind the break-in process is to heat-cycle the piston in the bore several times by bringing it up to at least 200 - 225 degrees for a tankful and then letting it cool (always with the piston at BDC!!!). The most common cold weather mistake is to try to achieve this temperature by leaning the engine out. In doing so, you are starving you new engine of the proper lubrication during its most critical time. If you absolutely can't wait (remember above...patience) it is better to put a sock on it, or some use aluminum foil, something to retain the heat in the block. If you don't reach the 200+ degree mark during the break-in, you are not "seasoning" the engine properly.
    My wife don't understand!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by HVNFNYT View Post
    Thanks, Damianhead. The whole idea behind the break-in process is to heat-cycle the piston in the bore several times by bringing it up to at least 200 - 225 degrees for a tankful and then letting it cool (always with the piston at BDC!!!). The most common cold weather mistake is to try to achieve this temperature by leaning the engine out. In doing so, you are starving you new engine of the proper lubrication during its most critical time. If you absolutely can't wait (remember above...patience) it is better to put a sock on it, or some use aluminum foil, something to retain the heat in the block. If you don't reach the 200+ degree mark during the break-in, you are not "seasoning" the engine properly.
    Thanks for your info guys really helps me. im going to get a temp gun and aim for +50 tempuratures or use the sock technique as this is a good investment id like to make it last as long as i can.. will be using all these tips for the best result. love the support i am getting and i do not even own it yet couple weeks away wich will help with tempuratures i hope. keep yall posted thanks

RC Racer
    I can't emphasize patience with tuning enough. I'm still having that issue...

RC Champion
    all these guys give great advice.. except the electric guy.. LOL.. great response to that by the way.

now just to add and i did not read everyones entire post because they were giving you sound advise, one thing i would add is breaking in when its this cold is tricky, i would wait till its at least 65 and above, as this is your first nitro. also driving when cold will cause plastic parts to break very easily. and drive it toll you break it enough before you start thinking upgrades, it can get expensive.
    you know.. i never had a sig.. but i do now...

RC Enthusiast
    Well I bought my very first nitro truck the lovely revo 3.3 $624.99
    at my lhs. Along with 2 glo plugs gallon 20% traxxas top fuel and a temp gun.

It was 30 degrees out today I know horrible idea...well I used hair dryer got engine to about 129. Still took forever to start finally got her going.

1rst tank if break in temps started too high after a few go n stops. Temp was up near 300 so I took off some tin foil then it was down near 245-250. So figured that was good.
    Had snuff time to get to third tank of break in. Will finish rest tomorrow.

Sooooo tempting to just gogogo but patience as you all said is key. My buddy thought I was a little obsessive about doing everything by the book to the t.

I see lots and lots of fun in my near future thanks for all your help into my amazing purchase although I did not take advice of not running in cold. I figured worse case scenario I need to replace engine. Which I then would obviously have been coming here to ask which engine. Not like I need to spend another 630 if engine fails. But temps going to where they should be so I think I'm OK

Lot to learn still baby steps thanks again.

RC Champion
    first off all, the problem with running in an engine in the cold is not only its hard to get it up to temp.. is that it cools down waaaaay to fast. you may find that when the outside has warmed up a bit like in the summer the engine will be temperamental,

that being said.. you should have richen up your needles about 1 full turn before you ran in temps that cold.. your engine getting up to 245 in 30* weather with out something covering its head is waaaay to lean..

just an fyi...

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by kgombe1 View Post
    first off all, the problem with running in an engine in the cold is not only its hard to get it up to temp.. is that it cools down waaaaay to fast. you may find that when the outside has warmed up a bit like in the summer the engine will be temperamental,

that being said.. you should have richen up your needles about 1 full turn before you ran in temps that cold.. your engine getting up to 245 in 30* weather with out something covering its head is waaaay to lean..

just an fyi...
    I have tin foil over head

I took it in my warm car to cool

RC Champion
    sorry didnt realized you said you took of some... my bad.. either way you suppose to be rich in the winter.. it will run well in the winter because of more oxygen being present in the air... so don't get carried away with the power.. every engine will run well in the winter.. :-) .. i run my worn out engines in the winter all the time.. and it runs great...