Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Competitor

My T Maxx rebuild and upgrade.

What's up everyone my name is Daniel and it's been a while since I've really been on here. I decided to pull out my Pro.15 Maxx and upgrade it since my friends started buying new Maxxes and Revos. I'm not an expert at this so there will be questions. So far I picked up some RPM 2.5 a arms for the front and installed them.
    Before

During

After
    Last edited by Big_Chika; 01-24-2013 at 02:22 PM.

RC Competitor
    So last night I picked up some 3.3 axles and toe links. But I'm not sure if I want to go with the true track conversion or just another set of a arms. Another thing I'm stuck on is should I use some stock 3.3 carriers or go with the RPM carriers. That will be my next purchase.

RC Qualifier
    You can get Tru Track but it's in the rear so it doesn't get as much abuse, so that's your choice. As far as the axle carriers, get the ones from Tekno. It's probably not such a big deal, but I heard that on the RPM ones, the pivot balls can slip out of the hole because of the semi rubber like qualities of the RPM plastic.

By the way, love the body
    Last edited by rcdriver5; 01-24-2013 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rcdriver5 View Post
    You can get Tru Track but it's in the rear so it doesn't get as much abuse, so that's your choice. As far as the axle carriers, get the ones from Tekno. It's probably not such a big deal, but I heard that on the RPM ones, the pivot balls can slip out of the hole because of the semi rubber like qualities of the RPM plastic.

By the way, love the body
    +1 the RPM carriers are made from the same flexiing plastic they make for all their other things... Pillow balls pop out because of this... I just use stock carriers with the RPMs... NOt heard any complaints about the True Tracks... I race and prefer being able to adjust the toe, which is the only thing that I do not like about them is this is not an adjustable item.
    Robin Williams
    He will be greatly missed...

RC Qualifier

Re: My T Maxx rebuild and upgrade.

Just thought I'd chime in on the rpm carriers. Put some on my maxx last night and had a hard time getting the pillow ball retainers to screw into the carriers without crosdthreading. After messing with them for 15 minutes and alot of profanity. I finally got them in. I'm curious how well they'll hold up. I had the problem with the pillow balls poppong out on my mini revo and ended up going with aluminum. the plastic is really soft.
    Last edited by the finisher; 01-24-2013 at 03:55 PM.
    addicted much....

I prefer the 5334R carriers over rpm.
    The Tekno carriers are very good but will require the complete kit with 8mm stub axles to use with the 3.3 spec wheel shafts.
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

RC Competitor
    Does anyone have a link or pictures of this ring mod for the rpm carriers?

RC Qualifier
    Here's a thread from '08 about it:http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...rrier-Ring-Mod . On another one, I saw someone say that they just used the rings that are inside the stock traxxas ones. Personally, I would either use aluminum(if there are some that are NOT Integy?), the stock Traxxas 5334R's, or if you would feel like tinkering a little, the Tekno is still the best from what I've heard, and I'm not sure if this kit has all of what Snook is talking about to make it work:http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...FQVgMgodmEEASw

RC Competitor
    Here's a thread from '08 about it:http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...rrier-Ring-Mod . On another one, I saw someone say that they just used the rings that are inside the stock traxxas ones. Personally, I would either use aluminum(if there are some that are NOT Integy?), the stock Traxxas 5334R's, or if you would feel like tinkering a little, the Tekno is still the best from what I've heard, and I'm not sure if this kit has all of what Snook is talking about to make it work:http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...FQVgMgodmEEASw
    Thanks for the info. I think I made up my mind. Going with RPM a arms all the way around and Traxxas 5334r carriers.

RC Competitor
    Ok so on to the next thing. Since I'm going to have this thing torn apart as soon as all my parts come in should I replace my bulkheads with some metal or plastic ones?

RC Qualifier
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/T-E-Maxx-3-3...-/270769402450 Get these! Great quality bulkheads, and you get all 4 for only $40.

RC Competitor
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/T-E-Maxx-3-3...-/270769402450 Get these! Great quality bulkheads, and you get all 4 for only $40.
    So are those the ebay ones that people like so much? Might have to pick up a set.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, they're ACNCM, really good quality as they're machined and not cast. There's also a set of just the fronts, and a set of just the backs for $20, so you could get aluminum in the front because the back doesn't get as much abuse.

RC Competitor
    Picked up my rear RPM a arms. Just waiting on some more parts and the suspension should be done

RC Qualifier
    Nice rig...

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Ckeithnitro View Post
    Nice rig...
    Thanks. It's about 14 years old and getting some upgrade to keep up with the my buddies that have 2.5 and 3.3 trucks.

RC Qualifier
    Well you can easily make it so it will keep up.. The one I built was an old 2.5 rolling chassis that I upgraded. Picked up the rolling chassis cause the local guy had it in such awesome shape..

RC Competitor
    Yeah I'm going to run the 2.5. Going to do the engine replacement program since it's only $90 shipped.

RC Competitor
    Last night I decided to install the rear RPM arms. My truck is now officially wider. Hopefully I get the rest if my parts next week and then I could move on to the engine.
    Before

During

After

RC Competitor
    So I ran some numbers in my head to see what I've spent and what I still haverto spend to finish. I could have bought a new 2.5. The only problem with that is that it would be stock. I don't do stock.

RC Competitor
    A few more parts came in today. Just waiting on the carriers.

RC Racer
    love the truck the a arms can you post a link

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the compliment. Here is the link to the RPM page for the a arms.

http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/product...as/MaxxPts.htm
    Last edited by Big_Chika; 01-29-2013 at 07:01 PM.

RC poster
    Subscribed! I'm new to the rc world and just got a 2.5 tmaxx. Looking forward to seeing all your upgrades.

RC Competitor
    Sweet deal man. So you kept the old chassis or was that upgraded too? everything crosses over pretty much? Im in the same boat and trying to decide if I should change out the chassis too.

RC Competitor
    I'm keeping the chassis original. Never really crossed my mind to change it.

RC Competitor
    It was like Christmas when I got home from work today.

RC Competitor
    Nice! I'm eager too see how it turns out. I was asking about the chassis because I heard that with the 3.3 motor it's real hard to control using the original chassis. Can"t imagine the 3.3 motor being that much more powerful? Then again your truck looks much wider with the new RPM's. How much width do you gain? Heck I'd rather stick with the original chassis too if I can get the same width and stance as the new version Tmaxx. Not too concerned about height I guess. Post more tips if you got em.Good luck!

RC Competitor
    Well I'm only going with the 2.5. Seems like doing the 3.3 requires more mods than just running the 2.5. As far as width I'm not sure because I didn't measure before and after but it's as wide as my buddy's new 3.3 Maxx just not as long.

RC Qualifier
    The ACNCM bulk are bullet proof. A little heavy but if your going to bash the work. They made a nice chassis at one time as well. I had a hard time with the RPM carriers to a point I stripped several and said the heck with it and used the stock ones.
    I gave up golf for this????

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by tmaxx newb View Post
    The ACNCM bulk are bullet proof. A little heavy but if your going to bash the work. They made a nice chassis at one time as well. I had a hard time with the RPM carriers to a point I stripped several and said the heck with it and used the stock ones.
    Yeah I've heard nothing but good things about the bulk heads. Going to hold off a bit on those but definitely getting some. After hearing alot about the RPM carriers I decided to pick up a set of stocks.

RC Enthusiast
    when I did my first maxx upgrade I went with the new longer chassis all the rest of drive train was all 3.3 got rid of 2.5r went 3.3. front tires hardly on ground

RC Competitor
    Hey Big Chika. Loving that wide spider like stance! if its not too much trouble can you list the part numbers for your suspension upgrade? I have thew same chassis and want to widen the stance myself. Thanks!

RC Competitor
    This is what I got from RPM support. Instead of the true track system in the rear I went with another set of a arms and got traxxas carriers. You could find everything on ebay.
    The RPM part numbers you'll need will be as follows:

RPM Products you'll need:
    2 - #80462 - Black A-arms (these will be used on the front of your truck)
    1 - #80582 - Black Axle Carriers (these too will be used on the front of your truck)
    1 - #80942 - Black True-Track Kit (this will cover the entire rear end of the vehicle)

Stock Traxxas Parts you'll need:
    4 - #5451X - Traxxas T-Maxx 3.3 axles
    1 - #5141 - Front Tie Rods (these will be the new steering links for your truck)
    1 - #5355 - Offset Ball Studs - these will replace the tie rod ball studs that currently mount to your stock front axle carriers
    1 - #2580 - M3 x 20mm Screw Kit

RC Competitor
    Sweet! Thanks!

RC Competitor
    Question. So you didn't go with part #80942? That's the TRu-Trac system right? You just added 4 more A-arms for the rear? What about the carriers? You did go with the RPM's? I didn't see the traxxas part number for that. Thanks!

TRX #5334R for stock 3.3 spec axle carriers.
    http://buy.traxxas.com/product_info....oducts_id=7773
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Competitor
    So yesterday my truck went back on the operating table to get the rest of the parts installed.

RC Competitor
    After two birthday parties and a science experiment I finally got to work on it around 9 pm.
    Front axles, carriers and toe links installed installed.

Rear done

After a few hours because I battled with a shock screw that didn't want to go in I finally got everything put back together and shell back on.

RC Competitor
    There is a huge difference between original pro.15 parts and the new RPM and T Maxx 3.3 parts.