RC Qualifier

Custom RC Builder

So, I was thinking of a job I could do at my age because I am turning 15 and people don't really hire young people. I was wondering what it would take to make Custom RC Vehicles for other people. Sounds like it would be a fun thing to do and make a little money while doing it. What would I need to do this as an after school job/hobby, and how would I get people to want me to make a truck for them? I have a little more than one year of experience working on RC's. I have a Traxxas Summit and a Slash 2wd I am selling to get a 4x4 Race Truck of some kind. Would making RC's for people make me decent amount of money? Thanks, Jacob Chandler
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Champion
    You could make a little money doing it.
    I want to do the same thing but there are not near enough people around here in the UP to do it.
    I mention rc cars and they're like, "What?"
    If you have a lot of people in your are that are into recreation and fun then it might work
    I'm only a year older than you
    "I like rc cars"....."WHAT? YOU'RE KIDDING!"

RC Qualifier
    How do you make money to feed your RC's?
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Chandler View Post
    How do you make money to feed your RC's?
    I buy and sell rc's.
    Sometimes I make a killing one them other times I just have to wait until I find another way to get some $
    I buy and sell video games and other stuff in the summer, also. I buy them really cheap at rummage sales and sell for profit on craigslist

RC Qualifier
    So buy cheap and sell for a little more than you bought it. That is a pretty good idea.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Champion
    So buy cheap and sell for a little more than you bought it. That is a pretty good idea.
    Actually i sometimes sell for 2-3 times what I paid for it. Last year one time I bought a vintage Nintendo with some rare games for $10 and sold it for $75 on craigslist the next day.

RC Qualifier
    Craigslist is a good way to make money, learn how to fix electronics, example-iphones, ipods, playstation 3 yellow light of death, xbox red ring, all that people are always getting apple products fixed, I fix ps3's on the side the business has slowed down but when it was at it's prime I was making almost 1000$ a week taken 1hour and a 1/2 to fix 1, there's lots of how to videos on youtube to do these things, once you learn you can also buy broken electronics for cheap fix them and sell them for double or triple sometimes more depending on what, I'm 22 and when I was younger that was my way of making money without a job, a lot of people rely on electronics and always need them and they'd rather go on craigslist and save money then send them in to the manufacture, if you do decide to do something like this make sure you know exactly what you're doing before you start cause you can lose money if you try to fix things then end up breaking them

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by XRated View Post
    Craigslist is a good way to make money, learn how to fix electronics, example-iphones, ipods, playstation 3 yellow light of death, xbox red ring, all that people are always getting apple products fixed, I fix ps3's on the side the business has slowed down but when it was at it's prime I was making almost 1000$ a week taken 1hour and a 1/2 to fix 1, there's lots of how to videos on youtube to do these things, once you learn you can also buy broken electronics for cheap fix them and sell them for double or triple sometimes more depending on what, I'm 22 and when I was younger that was my way of making money without a job, a lot of people rely on electronics and always need them and they'd rather go on craigslist and save money then send them in to the manufacture, if you do decide to do something like this make sure you know exactly what you're doing before you start cause you can lose money if you try to fix things then end up breaking them
    Yep you have to be careful. With rc's though it wouldn't be a problem for me.
    btw if anyone has any rc's they want me to fix ship em to me and I'll get em running again!!!!
    (For a minimal fee, of course!) Haha
    Electronics are always good. People are obsessed with them. If you know what you're doing they will gladly pay you to fix their iphone so they can get back to texting.

RC Qualifier
    I could also sell illuminated signs that I can laser engrave in my Tech Class.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Champion
    I could also sell illuminated signs that I can laser engrave in my Tech Class.
    That is a fantastic idea!

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    Jacob, I would say that your best bet is to find a popular local hobby shop that needs a service guy.

My local hobbytowns owners son builds pulling trucks from scratch. I go to him for advice and any custom build questions. I talk to him in rc terms, and he understands exactly what I need, and gets it right every time on the materials I need. He brings whatever he is working on at the time to work and sets it on the counter. He snagged me with a fully scratch built lawn tractor puller. He has a track record as a custom builder. It helped him that his mom owns the hobbytown, but if your skills are all that, and you are ready to supply a customer with exactly what he wants, then working in the industry will give you access to many more custom jobs... and repeat customers that will compensate you for those killer skills...
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Qualifier
    Someone already want me to make them a custom part for the front of their rc truck. So stoked!!! i will have to post up a build thread.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I dont think your ever going to be able to make money building and selling RC's with available aftermarket parts. The cost of the RC and the cost of the parts plus your time will put the vehicle well out of reach for anyone wanting to buy an RC but without enough experience to build it themselves.

Theres a reason traxxas RTR's come with cheaper plastic parts. People who buy RTR's are often inexperience and want a way into the hobby without breaking the budget. Often, over time, they gain experience, learn about upgrades and get good at installing them. A person with enough money and interest to buy a fully upgraded RC likely has enough experience to build it.

Buying and selling is a great way to make money if you do it RIGHT. Do it wrong and you can loose alot. Ive won many, lost many... in the end id say ive probably come up on top but not NEARLY enough to feed my addiction. Luckily I have a job that allows me to play. A job is definitely the best way to fund this hobby.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    I am not building an RC. I am building an attachment. He will be sending me the parts so I can make him a Salt Spreader for the Snow. Sounds cool, right?!?!?!?!
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Champion
    I am not building an RC. I am building an attachment. He will be sending me the parts so I can make him a Salt Spreader for the Snow. Sounds cool, right?!?!?!?!
    Definitely. Post a build thread!

Take a good look on Ebay for a while, you will see those who attempt making a business out of building custom RC's.... I don't see them staying on Ebay for very long, they usually fizzle out in time.

That tells me something right there, not much money in it compared to the time and money you invest in them. It's a labor of love, not profit. IMHO
    Robin Williams
    He will be greatly missed...

RC Champion
    The best thing I could think of is a chop shop but you would need somewhere to start, and I'm not exactly sure how they make a profit. Another good idea is make your own track and charge like $5 for a all day pass or something.
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

RC Qualifier
    I am actually making my own track right now!
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit