Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bulldog revo

RC Racer

Bulldog revo

Hi thought i would post my Brushless Revo build thread as a lot of my ideas have come from this forum.
    luckily i work in the usa so i can obtain parts easier and cheaper than most in the UK.

Welcome to my Project Revo build.
    I have been planning this build for some time now and have amassed most of the parts for this build but have been lacking time!
    The ideas which are going into this build have been put together from other project builds mostly from the america.
    I hope to post a full parts list for this project in the near future for anyone looking for parts.

The project is a scratch build from parts bought either new or off stripped down vehicles over ebay. Anyone wishing to put together an E-REVO note that this is not a cheaper way to build.
    Better to buy a roller or working vehicle then add the parts you need.

The basic colours for the E-REVO is black,red and silver using aluminium parts where flexability is not compromised.
    My aim is to build a light basher, Excessive speed is no a priority for me. I want the vehicle to look good and handle well i do plan on using it. no shelf queen here!

The first thing to do was Rit dye the chassis and rubber components.

The next thing on the agenda was to strip the new revo transmission down as i want to
    Replace the bearings with Acer ceramic bearings.
    Remove any rough edges from the gears.
    Install a centre diff after rebuilding and replacing the 500k oil.
    And lastly a lot of people will not agree with this but i liberally coat the gears with a heavy grease i use called Gorilla Snawt.

Next was to rebuild the transmission and whilst rebuilding i noticed play on the center differential and input shaft so i had to install 1 x 6mm shim to either side of the center diff and 1 x 5mm shim to the front of the input shaft.
    I next installed a modified Hot Racing motor plate which had to be converted to single motor,
    The motor plate is fitted with extra heat sinks.
    Then fitted a hot racing heatsink/motor mount.

To finish the transmission off a Hot racing 54t metal spur and dual slipper clutch has been fitted.

Thats it for today , more to come
    Summit, E-Revo, E-Revo Brushless, Merv. Baja 5BSS

RC Racer
    For some of the newer members to RC cars i will tell you a little about some of the extra products i will be using during this project.

Rit Dye
    Rit Dye is an american product for dying clothes. It also is great for dying plastics and rubber!!
    you can now buy this off Ebay from london. I prefer to use liquid rather than powder as i find it mixes better but that is a personal preference.
    If you want to dye plastics or rubber Dylon will not work as it does not seem to etch itself.
    To use Rit Dye it must be heated to activate it. I personally use boiling water from a kettle the mix the dye in and the components then leave overnight.
    Some people prefer to bring to a simmer on a stove/hob.
    The amount of time is again personal preferance the longer you leave it the deeper the colour.
    After use i store the dye in an old plastic bottle and re-use when ever i need to do some dyeing again.

Isopropyl Alcohol
    I use this for cleaning the plastic parts before dyeing as it cleans any dirt or moulding agents and gives a good keying surface also for cleaning new tyres before taping.
    This can be obtained from Maplins.

Corrosion X
    This is a new product i have found and am going to use it to Waterproof the Tekin ESC.
    This is available from the UK

Gorilla Snawt
    This is a really good heavy duty Teflon RC grease.
    I use this for rebuilding Transmissions and Differentials.
    This is available from Ebay. (I also sometimes use a heavy waterproof grease called Aqualube).

SIN OIL
    As i am using Acer ceramic bearingsto replace all the stock bearings i am also using Acers Sin Oil which is a blend of synthetic oils and cleaning addatives.
    This can be purchased from Acer racing.

Diff Oil & Shock Oil
    I dont use any particular brand of silicone oil but i would say manufacturers viscosity differs so find a brand and use different viscosity's from their brand.
    One manufacturers 50wt will not always be the same as another manufacurer.
    I have still to fathom out the comparison between WT's of oil and CPS' s of oil.

Finish line Dry Teflon Lubricant
    Finis line is a cycling range of lubricants
    i use the Dry Teflon Lube for axle pivot balls and drive shafts as it is a Teflon lube which dries and does not collect dust or dirt whilst lubricating.
    This can be purchased from certain cyle shops in the UK or off the internet.

Loctite Blue Thread locker
    Loctites Blue thread locker is the Thread lock of choice in the RC Car scene as it is a medium strength thread lock and is also removable.
    can be purchased from any automotive shop.

Tyre Glue
    Again i dont use any particular brand of tyre glue but i do prefer to use a medium rather than thin glue. Currently i am using AKA Premium tyre glue.

GMK Sticky stuff
    GMK sticky stuff is a wheel balancing putty i purchase from the USA.
    You can use lots of different products fro wheel balancing putty or stick on weights the main thing is to balance your wheels before first time use.

Gorilla Tape
    Gorilla tape is what i use for taping tyres to stop them ballooning at speed. Gorilla tape is much stronger than duct tape an also stickier.
    Again taping them before first use is advisable and clean the mold release agent from the tyres with Isopropyl Alcohol.
    This can be purchased from Ebay.

Silicone Grease
    I use silicone grease to lubricate O-rings and seal the Traxxas Reciever box wire seal by applying some over the soft seal.
    This can be purchased off the internet
    Vaseline can also be used.

I hope this is of use to some of the newer members to RC Cars now back to todays building

Rebuilding the Differentials today.

RC Racer
    The project aim for today was to Rebuild the new differentials.
    The differentials were stripped down to there component parts and cleaned.
    This is what the inside of an E-REVO differential looks like if you have not taken one apart.

All the spider gears and pinion gears were deburred using minature files and a stiff wire brush on a Dremel to finish off.
    The gears were then test fitted into the new Hot Racing differential cases to check for binding and end play.

Several aluminium differential cases were looked at and i decided on the Hot racing cases as they come with an heavy duty stainless steel end cap.
    once i was happy with the the gear mesh the gears were installed with some light gear oil tightened up the fitted into a battery drill and worked for a couple of minuets to bed the gears in.
    After everything had been stripped and cleaned again all was assembled for a last time using locktite and the oil was finally added 50wt for the front and 30wt for the rear.

These items are not required to be installed into the aluminium cases as they are to strengthen the plastic cases.
    Next the diff case assembly was fitted with Acer ceramic bearings and test fitted into the new RD Logics outer diff cases end play.
    Each diff required a single 10mm shimm installing behind the bearing on the stainless endcap.
    The drive pinion was then test fitted and both diff cases required 1 x 6mm shim installing behind the pinion.
    Both the ring gears and the pinions had the same deburring and bedding in treatment as the inner diff case once i was happy with the smooth function and fit a liberal coating of Gorilla Snawt was applied.

The case was then tightened up again using locktite.

The Project is been fitted with Hexcrews Armour plated screws.

The differentials were weighed against another new stock differential and the new aluminium cases are 20 gramms heavier.
    That is it for today i have to go walk the summit and drive the dog now!!
    Hopefully Shocks rebuild tomorrow.

RC Qualifier
    looks like this will be a good build! Ill be watching
    Are you an RC addict?

RC Enthusiast
    Looks sweet

RC Qualifier
    Why using a such thick grease in the transmission and differential case? Won't it cause really bad over heating. I once put some bearing grease in my Rustler VXL wich was thicker than lithium or silicone grease but certainly not as thick as yours and I had over heating trouble. I guess you're going to melt this motor.

Other than that it's a really nice build and I live you're choice of part and color.
    No pain! No Gain!

RC Qualifier
    i believe you are supposed to run these transmissions dry, with no lubricant at all.. just a heads up
    MMM E-Revo
    VXL Slash 4x4
    VXL Slash 2wd

RC Qualifier
    Couldn't you just use dry lubes?
    Are you an RC addict?

RC Racer
    I have run my trannys and diffs with grease for ages and never had any problems yet.
    They run smoother and quieter.
    Below is a paragraph taken from revo pit pass

The transmission gears were intended to be run dry. This is fine, but the smaller two-speed gear cluster tends to wear when running the truck hard on the track. I used to replace the two-speed gear set on a scheduled basis, but I have found that Traxxas silicon grease (#1647) is a great (and safe) lube for the plastic gears and doesn't pose any problems to the rest of the transmission. I apply several dabs of the grease spaced evenly around each gear and rotate the gears until the entire gear is covered. My two-speed gears seem to last forever using this grease. I also use this grease on the primary gear. When I open up my tranny after a race weekend, the inside of the tranny is clean and free of gear dust and the gears are in excellent shape.

RC Champion
    Have you tried the corrosionx yet? I bought some to waterproof my Tekin rx8 combo but I have been to scared to try it LOL. I will be watching this thread to see how it works out.
    Xerun 150A 2200kv ERBE
    Dewalt 14.4v Summit

RC Competitor
    How do you tape the tires down with Gorilla tape? I know Gorilla tape is the strongest tape I have ever seen.

But where would it go on the tires?

RC Racer
    Check out this vid for taping tires

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BO-dfYz4Rw

RC Competitor
    tectic: looking good - excited to see how this turns out
    www.SkunkwerksRC.com

RC Qualifier
    nothing short of very impressive. you're approaching this build like it were a motorcycle or race car you'd be betting your life on, good to see the level of craftsmanship invested in this sort of hobby.

Looks good. Very thorough.
    What do you charge to rebuild mine? I think you would do a better job then me.
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

RC Qualifier
    tell us how those differentials work, whether they leak or not like the stock ones
    MMM E-Revo
    VXL Slash 4x4
    VXL Slash 2wd

RC Qualifier
    That diff definitely looks impressive, I'll be watching this one for sure!!
    rustler 3s
    merv MMP/NEU 1112 4s
    ERBE 4s

RC Racer
    Hi all today's aim was building the shocks.
    Here are all the component parts.

I am using Traxxas Red GTR shock bodies.
    Traxxas Jato shock boots.
    Traxxas variable damping kit #2
    Traxxas Tin coated shock shafts
    Hot Racing Aluminium shock ends
    Hot RacingAluminium Shock kit

The shocks were assembled with variable damping kit #2 and the valve located on top for bashing.
    I replaced the Traxxas shock shaft seal with 2 x -005 O-rings.

The shock were then filled with 60wt shock oil for the fronts and 70wt shock oil for the rears and the shock ends installed with Locktite.

After expelling the air and installing the topcaps the Jato shock boots were installed then the springs and spring retainers.
    The Caps have Traxxas swivel balls installed with a -007 O-ring either side to stop movement and tighten the installation.
    I have installed silver springs for the front and purple for the rear.

Whilst waiting for the shocks to de-gass i decided to Tackle the cover plate for the unused servo position.
    i had origionally decided to use the Traxxas servo blanking plate.
    i had already ordered mine quite a while ago and on trial found it to be a terrible fit.
    To this end i ordered a sheet of 2mm carbon fiber and decided to make a blanking plate out of carbon fiber.
    i used Milliput epoxy to get a mould for the new blanking plate.

I then marked the shape from the mould on the carbon fiber and cut out the basic shape with a dremel tool.
    The final shaping was done with files to give a snug fit.

I then dremel'd the old servo mounts down

The new blanking plate was then installed and holding down holes drilled undersize so the hex screws would cut their own thread.

Finally the chassis was re-dyed in the ground area
    The screw covers are from Hot Racing.

Thats it for today must spend the day with the wife and dog tomorrow
    so no build tomorrow
    i am looking forward to start building the chassis next.

RC Qualifier
    Hey have have you herd good things about the dual slipper
    BRUSLESS RULES

RC Racer
    The dual slipper is untried for me as yet
    but i will post how i get on with it.

RC Racer
    I forgot to mention
    The standard shocks weigh in at 40 gramms and the Aluminium shocks weigh in at 43 gramms

RC Qualifier
    you tease. your just gonna let us sit and drool over the tekin and corrosionX aren't ya? barely a mention. By the way great details in your build, I plan on doing a special Summit build but not quite with your specifics. I think your build is like a scalpel and chisel, mine will be more like a spike a sledgehammer. keep up the good work and hurry up and get to bthat tekin portion.
    Tekin 4ws Summit
    G2R, ERBE, BB
    Use common sense

RC Qualifier
    Very very nice build! nice and good instructions of what you are doing keep up the good work

RC Racer
    No building over the last few days
    So back to it today!
    Todays aim is wheels and tyres.
    The wheels i am using are SPI Racing Saber aluminium wheels.
    The tyres are Proline Badlands MT tyres.
    Tyre glue is AKA premium glue.
    Wheel balancing putty is GMK Sticky black stuff.

Firstly the wheel inserts were removed and put to one side then the wheel was turned inside out.
    I then used Isopropyl Alcohol to clean any release agent from the inside of the tyres.

The tyre inserts were the installed into the inside out tyre for a supported tyre to apply the Gorilla tape.

The gorilla tape was then laid out along my workbench still on the roll and the tyre was rolled along the tape.
    I find if you use one hand to keep some tension on the tape as you roll the tyre you will get a nice flat wrap.

i wrapped the tyres with 2 wraps of gorilla tape.

The tyres were then turned back the right way and the inserts re installed.
    Next the bead channels of the wheels were ruffed up using a Dremel tool, then the beads weer cleaned with Isopropyl Alcohol.

Once the beads on the wheel were all roughed up the tyre beads were then cleaned with Isopropyl Alcohol.
    Next the rear sides of the tyres were glued one at a time with the AKA tyre glue.
    After 1 hour the fronts of the tyres were glued.
    after another hour walking the dog the tyres were ready for balancing.
    i use a Hudy wheel balancer with a 12mm to 17mm wheel widener and adaptor.
    The wheel were spun untill the heavy spot settled the the tyre putty was applied untill the tyres were all balanced.

Job done 4 new wheels and tyres ready to go!!

RC Qualifier
    Is that 2" Gorilla tape, or the 1" stuff?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by tectic
    Gorilla Snawt
    This is a really good heavy duty Teflon RC grease.
    I use this for rebuilding Transmissions and Differentials.
    This is available from Ebay. (I also sometimes use a heavy waterproof grease called Aqualube).
    I don't have any experience with Gorilla Snawt, but a heads up on Aqualube [which I regularly use in my job]. Aqualube is intended to be a fastener/gasket lubricant in water systems. It is absolutely HORRIBLE as a moving part lubricant. The longer it's used, the thicker it gets, and if ever exposed to water, aqualube gels up to try and "capture" the water, but doesn't do a good job.

If you want a true waterproof, high quality grease for anything, get some Evinrude Triple Guard Grease.

Good build so far though.
    -Harry | Racing and Painting
    1stGenPaint

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by BAC5.2
    Is that 2" Gorilla tape, or the 1" stuff?
    2" Gorilla Tape

RC Racer
    Finally managed to get some spare time for more project time.
    This time is the ESC installation.
    I started out to build a mount for the ESC..
    For this i used more of the leftover Carbon fiber sheet which was measured and cut oversize to the Tekin mounting template.

Next four mounting holes were drilled into the sheet then the mounting template was glued into position and the ESC mounting holes were drilled.

The ESC was then mounted to the carbon fiber plate and the ESC and Motor was then test mounted for best mounting position.

Now to the soldering the wires were soldered at a 90deg angle this was chosen over straight up for purposes which will become apparent later on in the project.
    I tinned the wires then crushed the ends whilst still hot to flatten the wires to allow them to slot into the pre tinned ESC posts.

The solder posts were then covered with the appropriate heatshrink and the wires were covered with Century flexible lead wrap
    Next the wires for the power leads were soldered into a short section to a 7mm bullet connector and the double battery wires added to the other sides of the bullets.

The ESC was then mounted to the mounting plate -005 O-rings were used between the mounting bolts and the ESC and chassis to give a spacer and vibration damper.
    The plate was mounted to the chassis by drilling under size holes and letting the mounting screw cut its own thread.

The back was then removed from the motor to allow easier soldering and the wires were cut to the appropriate length and soldered to the motor.
    The wire were finish heatshrinked and a new toggle switch was installed into the front air dam for the ESC on off switch.
    Then the sensor lead was installed and an upgraded fan was installed to the ESC.
    The ESC and motor installation finished and awaiting the new Lipos to solder the battery leads to length.

Next to get on with the front and rear suspension sets.

RC Racer
    Managed to get a bit of spare time to do a bit more work to the project.
    The Front suspension first i built the RD Racing axle carriers using GH Racing pivot ball caps which have an 0-ring to stop them vibrating off.
    Acer ceramic bearings were used for the axles and Hot Racing titanium pillow balls and finished off with Traxxas Dyed dust boots.

The pillow balls and axle carriers were coated in Finish line dry lube and allowed to dry completley.
    all the components were then assembled.

Next was to install a Hot racing aluminium steering arm mount and a GH Racing steering arm pin mount along with the Traxxas steel drive shafts

Next installed was a Red anodised front bulkhead tie bar from GPM Racing products, i ordered several parts from then and the had the parts i ordered anodised red for me.
    the top tie bars were installed into the bottom mounting position to give me increased roll resistance also the caster was set at maximum 15 degrees to get greater steering response.

Then Traxxas aluminium rocker posts were installed along with Traxxas aluminium pushrods which i connected to some Hot Racing front multi mount rocker arms mounted on Acer ceramic bearings.

Finally the front suspension was installed onto the chassis making the project start to look like it is coming together.

Next was to install the front shock mount again red anodised from GPM Racing.

The shock were then installed.

Hopefully tomorrow will see the rear end attatched

RC Racer
    Managed to get the rear suspension set done as well today again using a red anodised rear bulkhead tie bar from GPM Racing products and Traxxas adjustable suspension arm set to give me another 10mm of wheelbase.
    the tiebars were also installed in the bottom position to give me better roll resistance.

Longer drive cups were installed which are for use with the adjustable rear arm set

Then the driveshafts and axle carriers were installed then the traxxas pushrods and toe links attatched to the rear Hot racing multi mount rocker arms.

next the GPM racing rear shock mount was installed then the rear suspension fitted to the chassis and the shocks mounted.

Eventually starting to look like a truck

The body mounts have also been installed.

RC Qualifier
    Coming together very nicely, this is gonna be one sweet erbe.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Nogas
    Coming together very nicely, this is gonna be one sweet erbe.
    +1 Looks beautiful.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Revoman859

RC Champion
    Man what a truck. I'd buy this if it shows up in the MP
    Drive it like you stole it or leave it shelved

RC Qualifier
    Looking good cant wait to see the rest!

RC Racer
    Killer setup, my erbe is coming together similar to yours Make sure to post some vids if you can!

RC Racer
    Another up date on the project
    Trying to get time to work on it is difficult.
    the steering system was next built i used an RD Logic steering saver with a ST Racing singgle servo arm and attatched Traxxas lightweight turnbuckles and aheavy duty spring.

Next was to install the single servo i used a Hitec HS-7950 TH mega torque servo Which just happened to fit right in with my colour scheme.

A red anodised front bumper was installed from RC Raven.

Then the drive train was completed by installing Traxxas centre driveshafts.
    This turned out not to be as easy as the instructions said i had to remove the front suspension to engage the dog bones as there was not enough play in the transmission with it unbolted to get the dog bones into the drive cups.

once installed the under side skid plates were installed i used the standard traxxas centre skid plate and ST Racing front and rear skid plates.

RC Racer
    Then the underside was finished off with a GPM Racing red anodised servo protector.

next the 17mm wheel adapters were installed on to the axles.

and finally the wheels and tyres were installed using RC Raven red anodised knock off wheel hub nuts

My project has almost grown up as it can stand on its own feet now !
    as my new Lipos have arrived the ESC wiring harness was also finished to allow the 2 SMC Lipos to connect to the ESC.

RC Qualifier
    Very nice!
    1/16 MERV
    BL Revo Platinum MMM MADNESS!

RC Qualifier
    you mentioned water proofing the esc with the corrosion X? how was it done? how is it going? Any tests?
    Tekin 4ws Summit
    G2R, ERBE, BB
    Use common sense

RC Qualifier
    Love this truck, I am thuroughly impressed man what a great build. I can't wait to see the body and paint skeem you go with, I'm excited for you I really hope you can post a running vid. BTW If you ever get tired of looking at it you just let me know I'll be more than happy to take it off your hands.
    That's Just How I Roll o==o>