RC Qualifier

slipper clutch questions

hey guys i was wondering how critical the slipper is and what can happen if it is too tight, my stock 4s lipo summit does do wheelies off a standing start, is that too tight?

RC Qualifier
    The slipper is very critical.
    If the slipper is too tight, 100% of the power will be applied to the drivetrain and will probably break or twist multiple things at the same time. Input shafts, output shafts, spider gears, axle stubs, axle stub pins, crosspins, axles, and even hexes, can bend or break. If you hold your truck literally down to where its just brushing the ground with one hand and give throttle with your other, you can check the slipper tightness. If your truck squeals and doesn't rip out of your hand, your not putting to much power down. If your truck doesnt squeel but tries to drive away still, You're probably about to bend or break something.

When your driving around, you'll get the hang of just knowing how tight it is by how hard it wheelies when you punch it. I set mine to where it will almost not wheely.
    Last edited by satyrisci; 01-22-2013 at 05:54 PM.
    PM me for help converting your Summit to brushless

RC Qualifier
    alright thanks mate ill see how it goes i have it wound back 1/4 but thats obviously not enough

RC Champion
    Mine is set so it will barley pick up the front end. I can hear it working if I try launching from a complete stop.

RC Qualifier
    i think ive finally got it right, from a stopped launch on any surface it barely lifts the front wheels and slips for about twice the length of the car

RC Qualifier
    That sounds lose enough. The material on new pads will wear quickly untill the surfaces of the pads and rotor are perfectly flat with each other. As material wears off the pads, the clutch will losen up slightly. When the pads are worn, the clutch will be slipping and you wont be able to tighten it anymore. If you use too much force on the wrench there, it can break the wrench or a piece of the drivetrain, like the spider gears in the diffs. The most pain in the but thing to work on on the truck. lol
    PM me for help converting your Summit to brushless

RC Qualifier
    Stick an allen wrench through the hole in the shaft sticking out of the front of the transmission when you tighten the clutch. Then you won't put stress on the above mentioned parts.

Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect

RC Qualifier
    i always stick the allen key in the shaft hole when adjusting the slipper