RC Qualifier

Does cold weather affect a lipo's performance?

I'm curious what all you guys have expierienced running lipo's in cold weather. I've been running my little merv around with 2s 2200 traxxas lipo's and I have been noticing the car cuts out on hard acceleration sometimes. Let me clarify a little, this is happening with a single fully charged battery, and cold here is 25-45f. I store my batteries in my garage in lipo sacks. I'm pretty new to this hobby so this is my first winter running rc's. The last couple of weeks or so, the temps have been below freezing at night. It doesn't get as cold in the garage, maybe 5-10 warmer. I have done a little searching, and I have found a few threads on cold affecting lipo's but I wanted to start a thread and see what I could learn from you guys.
    addicted much....

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    In short, yes.
    There used to be pack warmers for flight use... not sure if there still are or not.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Champion
    Extreme temperatures, hot or cold, are not good for LiPos. In the winter, you should definitely store them inside. I'm an airplane guy first and foremost, and I do fly LiPos in the winter. But before and after each use, I put them in my car with the heater running, or in an inside coat pocket. This will go a long way to extending the life of your LiPos, and will also give you more consistent performance.

I would definitely get them out of your garage...
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Qualifier
    Cool, i had a feeling the temp was messing with them. They never acted up before.
    Last edited by the finisher; 01-24-2013 at 01:03 AM.
    addicted much....