RC Enthusiast

Summit radio issues

It started as no throttle on startup, but has now gotten to this....

http://youtu.be/VC7Vs-xAYJY

Fast blinking green means your throttle is out of adjustment.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    And you also shouldn't turn off the ESC by the button. If I am right, you are supposed to unplug the batteries.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

Jacob is correct.... Traxxas recommends shutting down the EVX2 by unplugging the batteries and not using the switch.

RC Enthusiast
    Any idea why the red flashes and it totally stops accepting any input? Steering or otherwise.
    If that's true about the batteries, I will start doing that.

Red on the ESC or red on the controller?

Did you get a manual with your RC?

RC Enthusiast
    http://youtu.be/mSf3BMT0atc

I recalibrated the throttle, unplugged, then filmed this.
    Now it won't even turn on to recalibrate the throttle.

Do you have any warm servos?
    I hear a lot of buzzing... indicating a out of adjustment servo and possibly a dead one that is causing electrical issues.

RC Enthusiast
    I did, I read through it, apparently missed that part. Red on the receiver. The remote stays green unless I'm trying to relink or something else.
    I have been using the downloaded manual on my iPad mostly.

RC Enthusiast
    The steering servos buzz, have been trying to get them to stop fighting but haven't gotten them exactly right yet.
    No warm servos, everything dead cold.

I would unplug the steering servos just to be absolutely sure... also check for some dampness in the "waterproof" box while you are at it.

RC Enthusiast
    Right side steering servo is shot... Unplug it and everything works great, plug it up and the whole system shuts off.....
    I just took it for a spin in the house and it works perfectly, reverse and all... Just steers a little slower.....

The single stock servo remaining will die eventually... it just isn't strong enough.
    Great time and excuse for a single servo setup!

RC Enthusiast
    Yea, but this thing is less than a week old...... Never worked exactly right, I'm starting to get annoyed honestly.

I like the idea of going single but spent more money than I have to buy the truck, because my son was so in love with it.

When you go single, is there an easy way to get rid of the other side of the linkage? Or just leave it there?

I think I'll call traxxas in the morning and see what they say.

You can leave it there or cut it off.
    Not adjusting the buzz out will kill a servo in short order. I would not be the least bit surprised if the other is not far behind.

Traxxas will probably send you another servo...
    Jang did a decent tutorial on adjusting these servo setups.

RC Enthusiast
    Is there a list of servos that work somewhere?
    I have found through searching that he
    Hitec 5085mg
    Hitec 5086wp
    Corona ds238mg

But I have seen references to more possibly being out there.

Also, the FAQ seems to say you need 250oz of trq for steering, none of these are anywhere near that, ranging from 50-60oz-in.

Those sound like 16th Summit servos.

I am using a BlueBird 35A.

RC Enthusiast
    That servo is listed as a 7.4v.
    Is there a comparable one for the 6v stock system? I'm really in over my head at this point and don't have the money to throw at it right now.

Traxxas is sending me 2 new servos for it under warranty but the issues with dual servo has been made obvious at this point.

The 35A is a 6v or a 7.4v servo... it can be ran in either configuration.

Torque @ 6V: 29 kg/cm or 402 in/oz
    Torque @ 7.4V: 35.5 kg/cm
    Speed @ 6V: 0.17sec / 60 deg at no load
    Speed @ 7.4V: 0.14sec / 60 deg at no load

I use this with the stock 6v system without any issues.

There are other servos available... I am not sure of their part numbers though.
    I hope someone else can chime in.
    Last edited by JimmyNeutron; 01-24-2013 at 01:14 PM.

A silly question, especially since I believe the single servo setup is the best way to eventually go, but why don't you simply give Traxxas a call and see if they'll send you a new servo or two? If they do and if you set them up correctly, you can get some months out of the stock dual servo setup.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Enthusiast
    I did, the last line of my last post says that they're sending me 2 replacements.
    I'm just looking at other options now that I see a major issue with the system. And, as has been said in other threads, finding 2 identical servos is almost impossible, they will all be slightly different while moving, speed, exact stops, all that will be different and will also slightly change throughout the life of the servo.

A dual system is great in theory, but implementation can have issues mechanically.

Quote Originally Posted by BUFF_dragon View Post
    I did, the last line of my last post says that they're sending me 2 replacements.
    I'm just looking at other options now that I see a major issue with the system. And, as has been said in other threads, finding 2 identical servos is almost impossible, they will all be slightly different while moving, speed, exact stops, all that will be different and will also slightly change throughout the life of the servo.

A dual system is great in theory, but implementation can have issues mechanically.
    D'oh, I missed the replacement part.
    For single servo setups I prefer the Hitec 79xx series, such as the 7950, 7955, or 7954. I've installed six of these and I'm not a fan of the inexpensive, high-spec'd servos. But I'd also recommend the proper aluminum servo horn and an aluminum Revo steering arm to complete the package.

RC Qualifier
    This is a great subject, I am running dual savox sc-1267-sc hv servos with a cc bec set to 7.4v, and with the addition of the washer mod, I haven't had any servo problems yet, the servos are rated at 291oz. At 7.4v for a total 582oz. It turns my truck good and fast and I have used all other stock components, I can stand on the front of my truck and the wheel have no problem turning. To each his own I guess, but a single servo setup is definitely easier to do. The main thing is setting them up correctly so they don't fight each other, mine rarely hum, and never get warm, it took some time to do but to me it was worth it. Hope this helps and have some fun. God bless.

Sent from my iPhone 5

RC Enthusiast
    I think I'm going to replace both and try to tune the factory setup at first.
    I am a mechanical designer who owns Solidworks software and one of the reasons I liked these trucks is that I could find things to tinker with on them. I think I have found my first project.... Lol
    Now to find a cheap 3d printer that I can use......

Regarding the humming thing: the Hitecs and other hi-torque servos don't hum but they do tend to "talk" a lot. They grackle groink and growl even when at rest. Just something to be aware of.

RC Enthusiast
    So I got the 2 new servos from traxxas yesterday, got them installed and carefully tuned them to get them to make the least noise possible.
    If I lift the truck up its silent, as soon as I drop it down, they start singing quietly, not as loud as before. If I sit the truck down easily it won't sing, but as soon as I run it, they are back to quietly making noise.

Is this normal? Should I continue to try to work the noise out?

Also, is there a metal gear kit for these?

That is fine if they make a bit of noise.
    As long as they don't make noise when off the ground(no load).
    Quite a few people who do more crawling type driving go to a single metal geared hi torque servo.myself included

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Enthusiast
    I will eventually go to a single servo, no doubt but for now this will work. I'm a bit concerned that I will strip these plastic gears crawling on some of the places that I have been, as well as bashing into the weird landings that I have. That is why I'm curious if there is a metal gear rebuild for these. I have 1 that has a good motor but busted gears from the first pair.

I think I have seen a mod done for metal gear... I looked into it and couldn't find the gears anymore so I went single and have not looked back.