Thread: Super Jato.

RC Enthusiast

Cool Super Jato.

I have a jato 2.5 that I am looking to make crack the 100mph mark. I just got it I need electronics and radio system. engine dose run, I was told 5 gallons of fuel has run through it.

I need Help, don't know much about the jato. I had a nitro rustler with 3.3 and it was clocked at 63mph.
    1. Is there a difference in the 2.5 and 3.3 besides the engine?
    2. Will the 3.3 push the jato to 100 or do I have to has another engine?
    3. what gearing setup should I use?
    4. what exhaust system, air filter, tires should I use?

I will do research over the next month as I get money together. I will start the build in the spring when I am able to test different setups.

All input need will be appreciated.

RC Qualifier
    The 3.3 will not get you to 100 mph. The fastest I heard a Jato going was 93. There's a video on YouTube.
    Jato 3.3, Revo .28 JL Max, Nitro Stampede 3.3

RC Enthusiast
    The video on youtube.

the engine used is a picco p9r.21 on road engine. produces 2.7hp with 43,500 rpm. 93mph. going to be hard I see.

The only engines I can see that will top that is a novarossi.
    nova keep-on.21 max rpm of 46,800.
    Flash.21-pt max rpm 46.300.

Still got to find the best gear ratio for pure jato speed.
    Last edited by Rcracing6575; 01-22-2013 at 08:18 PM.

RC Qualifier
    It's definitely going to be hard. Good luck.
    Jato 3.3, Revo .28 JL Max, Nitro Stampede 3.3

look for some high rpm On-Road engine.
    Slash PE & Ja-two.

RC Qualifier
    Save your money. The money your going to spend to trying to do it, you could buy a bunch new jatos or any other traxxas car or truck you want. Theres more to this then meets the eye. Your not going to just bolt a motor in and figure out some gear ratio and think your even going to get close to hundred. If your lucky and I mean lucky you may see 85 mph after spending a few k buying every pipe, gear ratios, foam tires crashes, blowing up the motor because its to lean the list goes on. Anything over 85 your on another planet, and 90 to hundred mph is another gallaxy as far as power and set up goes. You may just want to convert to electric. Simple easyer and saves a huged amount of time money and agervation. Now if you still want to do after what I just said, then use my thread here as motivation and Getrrrrrrrrr Done

RC Enthusiast
    Just lucky and talked to someone with a jato he said was clocked at 107mph. He told me I can come by and see his setup when I get the chance. He explained the work done to the engine to increase the output. So I see it can be done.

Wondering can I make my jato 4x4? Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Rcracing6575; 01-24-2013 at 06:38 PM.

RC Qualifier
    107 mph Jato? Running a nitro engine. That's a world record I would love to see that on video with gps and or radar or even better yet were is this located I would love to fly out and see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcracing6575 View Post
    Just lucky and talked to someone with a jato he said was clocked at 107mph. He told me I can come by and see his setup when I get the chance. He explained the work done to the engine to increase the output. So I see it can be done.

Wondering can I make my jato 4x4? Any suggestions?

RC Qualifier
    Why would you make your Jato 4x4?

Just buy a different vehicle. haha.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Mind_Reader7 View Post
    Why would you make your Jato 4x4?

Just buy a different vehicle. haha.
    The reason I want to make it 4x4 is for control. I think 4x4 would help at high speed but I could be wrong. could make it slower.

RC Qualifier
    Being 4x4 would put extra strain on the motor. You would lose speed.

The Jato is faster than most vehicles BECAUSE it's a 2wd.

RC poster
    I thought it would. I was told by others that 4 wheel drive would drop the speed. Don't want that. I am trying to prevent the back slide at take off when racing. This there a way to prevent this?

Traction. Either more weight on the rear (not good for racing), tires with better grip, properly adjusted slipper or lighter throttle finger. Get good tires, set up the slipper and then work on the throttle control.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    I will look into tires. I don't know how much throttle control you can have when drag racing. then again I am just getting into drag racing.

RC Qualifier
    If you're willing to spend the money, I would suggest you buy the HR hardened steel transmission gears, and lock the diff. That should hopefully solve a lot of the back slide. Should also let you tighten the slipper clutch a lot.

RC Racer
    I think you should sale the Jato and get Rustler and do a mamba monster conversion. If you want to reach 100mph

RC poster
    that no fun. I use to run electric years ago untill I found out about nitro. I am a big drag racing fan and a nitro burning engine is right up my alley. plus there are not a lot of people can say they have a 90mph nitro rc let along 100mph.

RC poster
    Did a speed test yesturday since I got the trans running and the temperatures were in the 60s. The 2.5 with 23T clutch bell and 54T spur gear is pretty fast. Last time I ran my jato was about two years ago with stock 18/56 gearing. I am steal looking for the best engine and tires for me, and need a radar gun.

Any ideas on one? I would use the traxxas radio but don't have a Iphone or any apple device. I have android phones. SUCKS that they don't have a set up for android.

RC poster
    Question? Will can I find the funny car frame for the jato, or will it have to be made. 2. is this the best setup for pure speed or not. I have two jatos and one will be for drag racing and the other will be for dashing and showing off.

RC Qualifier
    Check your PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcracing6575. View Post
    Question? Will can I find the funny car frame for the jato, or will it have to be made. 2. is this the best setup for pure speed or not. I have two jatos and one will be for drag racing and the other will be for dashing and showing off.

RC poster
    Sometime in the next few weeks I should have my taxes back. I really looking at the funny car frame for the jato but still need research.

RC poster
    Ok. I know it's been a while. I have some money put up. I am back to work now so save will be a little easier. I have been looking at tires for the last 2 weeks and having trouble finding the right set tires to help with traction. Was out for a run today. tuned to perfection, and again was impressed with how fast the 2.5 is and how easily it spins the tires with little throttle application. So there in lies the problem, if the 2.5 can spin a geared up jato, I know a stronger motor will have have traction problems. I will try to loosen up the slipper clutch and see it that helps but need your help on getting the right tires.

RC Qualifier
    DO NOT USE ANACONDAS, and get some servos with metal gears, also do not waste money on nos or a supercharger. use 33% nitro or higher but be aware as this will shorten the life of your motor but will increase performance.

RC Qualifier
    I must be doing somthing wrong then. I have a revo that I run 33% from day one and it has officle 4.8 gallons threw it and only 2 glow plugs and my jato runs 73+mph in 165 ft with Anacondas.
    Quote Originally Posted by xNitroAddictx View Post
    DO NOT USE ANACONDAS, and get some servos with metal gears, also do not waste money on nos or a supercharger. use 33% nitro or higher but be aware as this will shorten the life of your motor but will increase performance.

RC Qualifier
    anacondas get torn up very fast though, and that revo will probably last another 2-3 gallons on 33% if taken care of properly.