Thread: Reverse kit

RC Enthusiast

Reverse kit

It amazes me how a 500 dollar truck does not have reverse lol. I was curious if anyone knew why they took it out and how difficult is it to install a reverse kit on tmaxx 3.3.

RC Qualifier
    They took out reverse because it causes more problems than it solves and without reverse the trans is stronger and less prone to breaking. The older maxxs had reverse that could accidentally be engaged while going forward therefore detonating the transmission. Traxxas tried to solve this problem with the optidrive assembly which wouldn't allow the truck to engage revere without being stopped on newer models. It's not hard to install revere if you choose to, I would just leave it alone and have peace of mind that your trans is much stronger.

RC Racer
    how hard is it to take out? I had to eliminate the opti drive on a revo I bought , long story short I do fear accidentally switching to reverse and costing more money. I really don't need it as I have done fine with my big T not having it

RC Qualifier
    It's fairly easy if you know your way around your MAXX or Revo and you're not afraid of a little elbow grease. All you need is the FOC ( forward only conversion) kit for the truck then it's just a matter of removing the trans and replacing a gear inside. Pull the useless reverse servo and other bits and your golden!

RC Competitor
    Another option you have that would be easier is to move the shift servo to channel 4 or 5. These channels are fixed at full left and full right(I don't remember which one is which) unless you have the 4 channel transmitter. You would not have the benefits of the FOC, but it would prevent you from shifting into reverse.

Personally I like having reverse. I put reverse with OptiDrive in a 6x6 T-Maxx that was geared super low and haven't had any problems. I have not taken reverse out of my Revo either.

RC Enthusiast
    Cool thanks for the info guys I think I'll leave it be

RC poster
    yes, you are right, i agree with your thinking

Quote Originally Posted by NathanM View Post
    Another option you have that would be easier is to move the shift servo to channel 4 or 5. These channels are fixed at full left and full right(I don't remember which one is which) unless you have the 4 channel transmitter. You would not have the benefits of the FOC, but it would prevent you from shifting into reverse.

Personally I like having reverse. I put reverse with OptiDrive in a 6x6 T-Maxx that was geared super low and haven't had any problems. I have not taken reverse out of my Revo either.
    If you had the optidrive tranny I would say close, but there are differences just besides not having reverse and it's complexities on the older trannies that were not Optidrive.

FOC Pro's
    1. Lighter, you remove 1 servo, 1 internal clutch, reverse shifting pawls. On a black tranny this drops about 6 OZ's and that's a good deal of weight on a 10lbs truck.
    2. Stronger, the gear that replaces the reverse forward set is wider and has mor physical contact with the rest of the gearset making it less likely to strip teeth (happens with the reverse setup many posts on this very forum about that).
    3. Longer receiver battery life, yup, even though the servo is not shifting all the time it's always drawing power, 1 less servo = more battery life.
    4. Quicker,,, yes quicker... When you remove all this rotational mass out of the transmission it's easier for the engine to spin it, so it will get up to top RPM much quicker, many have to re-adjust the shift point because of this.
    5. Better fuel mileage,,,, yes, since the tranny is now more efficient, you can acutally gain more run time, also the fact you've dropped a little wieght increases fuel efficiency...

Con's
    Can't think of any, I only race and bash running forward... I"m not parallel parking this thing..
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Enthusiast
    I. Never had any luck w/ reverse working right. Then when it did work th o ly way to get out of reverse was to hit somthing..

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubfunkstar View Post
    I. Never had any luck w/ reverse working right. Then when it did work th o ly way to get out of reverse was to hit somthing..
    LOL, sorry very funny....."the only way to get out of reverse is to hit something"

+1 on FOC
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |