RC Enthusiast

Spartan Speed Test!

So I got a little bored yesterday and was doing some research on people finding speed of their spartans and the speed sensoring not working since spartan doesnt use gears? Anyways Ive always test the speed of my RC's with my cars GPS so i figured why not try it in the boat. Zip locked the GPS and put it to the front in front of motor and zip tied it to the area where the Cover slides in...

With nimh battteries in the full front position I hit 24.5 on GPS with the included batteries. I then moved them to full back position in the boat and hit 29.9

I then ran 11.1v 25c 5000mah lipos in the full forward position in battery tray and I hit 49.4..

for using a car's gps I'd say these readings are pretty accurate and traxxas is spot on with the speeds out of the box! I will be making some videos later this week/weekend that show this figured id just post the pics for now.

RC Enthusiast
    Has anyone else done this??

Do you think those readings are good? Cant believe 31 views and no responses on this one yet..

RC Champion
    I sometimes wonder how accurate GPS is over short distances. For my RC planes, I use Pocket Radar. It works great and is very consistent. Haven't used it for my cars yet.

I don't own a boat, but have a good sized pond. How do you like the Spartan? Always looking for, you know, "investment opportunities."
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Enthusiast
    I hear ya.. I think its pretty good tho.. i mean from what i could see with my eyes and then reading the MPH it looked pretty good.. maybe off by a mph or two or of by a decimal.. I ran the same gps in my brushless tc4 and that seemed the same also.. i cant remember the speed it hit. I got rid of it almost 2 years ago...

As for how i like it.. I like it.. it def has its rough edges but nothing you cant sort out. I'm fighting with the stability of it now with the lipos.. once i get up to speed it likes to rock... ive been trimming and trimming it out to get it right I think im almost there.. some speed videos will come soon. My buddy with another spartan is coming over saturday and he has a go pro.. hoping to get some good video then..

RC Qualifier
    Most GPS units are very accurate since they rely on the satelites for there info. When my boat was stock I hit 51.1 with 5000mah lipos .

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    Most GPS units are very accurate since they rely on the satelites for there info. When my boat was stock I hit 51.1 with 5000mah lipos .
    Nice I'm gonna try some more runs this weekend. See if I cant get it over 30 on NIMH and 50 on Lipo.. I figured the readings were dang near accuracte..

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoobydood View Post
    I hear ya.. I think its pretty good tho.. i mean from what i could see with my eyes and then reading the MPH it looked pretty good.. maybe off by a mph or two or of by a decimal.. I ran the same gps in my brushless tc4 and that seemed the same also.. i cant remember the speed it hit. I got rid of it almost 2 years ago...

As for how i like it.. I like it.. it def has its rough edges but nothing you cant sort out. I'm fighting with the stability of it now with the lipos.. once i get up to speed it likes to rock... ive been trimming and trimming it out to get it right I think im almost there.. some speed videos will come soon. My buddy with another spartan is coming over saturday and he has a go pro.. hoping to get some good video then..
    The rock that your talking is called Chine Walking, a V-hull itself once it's on plane the hull lift on the air and the propeller will be the one stayed in the water, so on that theory to eliminate chine walking is adding up another set of trim tabs on the lower portion of the stock ones .
    Sharing is the best thing to do on EARTH legally.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgemoulic View Post
    The rock that your talking is called Chine Walking, a V-hull itself once it's on plane the hull lift on the air and the propeller will be the one stayed in the water, so on that theory to eliminate chine walking is adding up another set of trim tabs on the lower portion of the stock ones .
    Yes, I finally found something on this today. I'm looking into the tabs and also looking into the 5 inch Rudder Offset Base w/ Dual water pickup on Kintec Racing site..

RC poster
    I am in the Sarasota area hope to get to tampa one day. One problem i am having is that it rips the plastic props apart so I got a X642 prop and X442 have used my GPS on my Spartan after I fixed the leaking plastic water jacket by getting a aluminum one, using 2 3s 25c 8400 traxxas lipos I got 57.4 mph but the hardest thing to learn was throttle input. Luckily with the 8400mah batteries 3in from the back it moves out

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoobydood View Post
    Yes, I finally found something on this today. I'm looking into the tabs and also looking into the 5 inch Rudder Offset Base w/ Dual water pickup on Kintec Racing site..
    The longer rudder and additional inner trim tabs will help alot with stablizing your Spartan... battery position etc. and lots of testing.... And believe me what worked perfict last week may not work next week.

Glassy water is nice when you can find it.....Enjoy!!!!
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis