RC Competitor

Stampede 2 Wheel Dr. gearbox help

Hello guys I'm new to this site. I was driving my XL 5 2wd stampede today and all of a sudden it started whining and then clicking or clanking really bad until I stopped then when I tried to go it did not move it just clicked. I pulled off the black cover took out the motor, and the black big gear (I am not very familiar with these trucks yet so bear with me) looked like it's missing a few teeth, and when I turn it something looks bent. Like maybe the shaft it's on? It doesn't spin straight. Would that make it clank or click really bad and not move? Or is it more internal it's not very old maybe my sixth drive with it. Any help would be appreciated so I can go buy some parts and put it back together! This thing is a blast!

RC Champion
    You stripped the spur gear i sounds like. The slipper nut could have been too loose and or your gear mesh was off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kid at heart......and always playin around

RC Competitor
    Interesting. Here is a pic, see what I see?

RC Champion
    That's a stripped spur gear most likely caused by bad gear mesh. And occasionally the spur does not sit flat or warps causing the wobble.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the help!

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Either bad mesh or a pebble found its way in there. Quick, easy, & cheap fix. Pick up a couple for spares. When you mesh it up be sure to not have it to loose or to tight. Best thing is to use the strip of paper trick when meshing. Run it between the spur and pinion gear were it flows freely and not cut but just crimps the paper. I do all mine by sight and sound now.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Competitor
    Will do digger, how do you adjust that mesh? And thanks again for all your guys help this is an excellent forum.

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Bolt the motor back up to the gearlbox, you have 2 screws that hold the motor, the bottom bolt slides to loosen or tighten the mesh, & the top holds the motor in place. Once you think it looks good, can see a little daylight in between the teeth of the 2 gears tighten the bottom screw then the top one. Test the gear mesh with that strip of paper.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Competitor
    Excellent thanks!

RC Champion
    I feel using paper to set the mesh is still to loose. I like to push the pinion all the way against the spur and back it off ever so slightly until there is a slight rocking motion of the spur on the pinion gear. It takes some experience to get it right but its much tighter than using paper. If the nerves in your hand are shot or your eyes are not all that great then its not easy to do.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Competitor
    My issue would be eyes lol. But I'll try. Just gotta go to hobby world on Thursday. How many tooth is this stock spur?

RC Qualifier
    Welcome to the forum newestmemberhere. I believe that's a 86 tooth spur, the tooth count should be labeled on the spur. Good luck!

Sent from Oser world

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by dirty don View Post
    Welcome to the forum newestmemberhere. I believe that's a 86 tooth spur, the tooth count should be labeled on the spur. Good luck!

Sent from Oser world
    Thanks, so far this forum is very helpful and friendly!