RC Qualifier

Is this wire too small/thin?

I just got a series connector from my lhs and I ran it in my 3906-turned-brushless-emaxx with 2 duratrax 2s 25c 5000mah batteries. After I ran it, I realized it was for 16th scale models and the wires are way thin. Is this a problem? Will the small wires hold up? and, more importantly, will my brand new mmm combo be okay?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    2wd Slash VXL
    3906 MMM

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Do a few runs and feel if it gets warm
    I would make a 12 gauge one if I were you and 25c batteries are a little on the weak side

RC Qualifier
    All my lhs had was 25c, and I think it is fine for me punch wise. I am debating getting a 12 or 10 gauge one

2wd Slash VXL
    3906 MMM

You are wasting energy (heat) with the increased resistance and at the same time choking the maybe-25C packs.
    See http://www.progressiverc.com/series-traxxas-adapter.html and note the Optional Upgrade 12 AWG Silicone Wire [+$2.00].
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    Ok I am definitely getting a bigger gauge connector

2wd Slash VXL
    3906 MMM

I am going with 10g on mine as I want free flowing the MMM has 10g wires for the amps its pushing my lipos put out that maybe 160amps and I know what you mean on the 16g wires your using I'm using the same but my system is fine just you can tell its not getting the full amps. PRC here we come for some wires.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Qualifier
    So Mike, can you actually tell it isnt getting the same power?

2wd Slash VXL
    3906 MMM

I feel like when i increased my punch to 9 max it was the same as 5 which i have it set for every where driving to be able to control it better. The connectors slightly heated up but not much to worry to much about but i would feel more comfortable with 10-12g wires. PRC is priced good for that connector but i have the 1/16 already so i just needed wires. I think next time i go to HD i will look at their 12g red-black wires. I only have a 30w solder iron so 10g would be crazy to try and since HD now takes Paypal i can use my funds from that now. the 16g wires are rated for only 35amps when the 12g is 90amps then 10g is 130amps??? that would be better suited for me but not till i get a better iron like 60-100w.

RC Qualifier
    Really? only 35 amps? WOW i never thought they were that low. for a motor that can pull 150 amps, even the 10 gauge wires seem too small :/
    2wd Slash VXL
    3906 MMM

well the 10g would work because the motor and esc will not draw those amps constant non stop. I was thinking how about 8g rated for 200amps but not needed i want 10g i might try and see if i can manage to get an iron and wires at the same time. I thought since castle motor has 10g on there why not 10g series connectors right? would make sense and you wouldnt have that resistance then. look at 6g i think PRC has says its over 300amps+ their equipment cant rate it lol.
    overall if you can get 10g get it if not then 12g will do.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Pretty hard soldering 10 gauge onto traxxas connectors. Only peaks very quickly and 12 gauge would probably do fine as long as they are not too long

Quote Originally Posted by Chopstx View Post
    Really? only 35 amps? WOW i never thought they were that low. for a motor that can pull 150 amps, even the 10 gauge wires seem too small :/
    Some research into what what the Amp ratings actually mean is in order.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    And on a normal hard pass less then 100 amps is the norm