RC Racer

Smoked the motor in stock summit.

My son and I were down by a creek and ran the Summit in some deep water followed by some creek bed rock and not so deep water. I'm calling deep as mid way up the body. It was fine with the deep water, but upon leaving and going to the rock and chassis deep water, it suddenly stopped. I took it home, scrubbed it with a brush and sprayed it with the garden hose, then stood it on the rear bumper to drip dry. After a couple hours, I put a fresh charged set of Lipo batteries in and hit the throttle and witnessed a fire ball from the fan area of the titan.

I disconnected and waited until this evening (approx 24 hours) and tried again. It threw a bunch of radical sparks, smoke, and then smoothed out. This was with very light throttle in low range. I eased it back and forth about a 10 for distance, maybe 6 back and forth cycles. I thought it was going to be ok, and I tried goosing it and it made a pop sound as it again created a fire ball inside the fan area and went dead.

What would cause this? Does the deep water work destroy the motor, or is this a fluke? I already stopped and grabbed up a new Titan motor for it, I just don't really want to let the magic smoke out of it right away!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

RC Qualifier
    Don't worry, that is perfectly normal for a Titan. Just go buy a new one or 2 for $35. That's what I did every month or so till I ordered a brushless motor and ESC. LOL. I havent had a problem since, but I'm not using a tekin or a Mamba or a Hobbywing.
    PM me for help converting your Summit to brushless

RC Champion
    Contact cleaner and reoil. Might just be some crap in the motor.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by satyrisci View Post
    Don't worry, that is perfectly normal for a Titan. Just go buy a new one or 2 for $35. That's what I did every month or so till I ordered a brushless motor and ESC. LOL. I havent had a problem since, but I'm not using a tekin or a Mamba or a Hobbywing.
    I thought that going brushless meant losing the ability to submerge the speed control and motor?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Crock View Post
    Contact cleaner and reoil. Might just be some crap in the motor.
    Do you remove the motor to clean and oil, or do you typically spray it out while mounted in the truck and oil the armature shaft end that is always exposed? What about spraying a water displacing lube like Amsoil makes into the fan area and shaft end bushing?

RC Qualifier
    The Traxxas customer service told me the factory truck is more of splash proof than submerge proof. Servos, receiver box, ESC, all that... I wouldn't get it wet again. If you can't stay out of the water, snow, and dew, then you might plastidip your ESC, radio box, and servos and buy a different submersible brushed motor.

There are many ways to go. This is one of them.

RC Champion
    Depends on how well you want to clean it. For the amount of time it takes pull it and give it a good cleaning.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by larry0071 View Post
    Do you remove the motor to clean and oil, or do you typically spray it out while mounted in the truck and oil the armature shaft end that is always exposed? What about spraying a water displacing lube like Amsoil makes into the fan area and shaft end bushing?

When the commutator shaft isn't dry, the carbon dust that comes off the brushes with normal wear and tear, will stick to the commutator shaft. A build up of carbon will fry the motor real quick.

RC Racer
    To remove the motor, does the lower pivot screw need to be removed, or just loosened a bit? I know the upper screw that locks the position must be removed.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    I don't touch the lower screw at all.

I would suggest a DeWALT over brushless for running around water.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Just the top one. the bottom one holds a shaft that the mount rides on. just remove the top one and shimmy it out. You might have to pull the servo wires out of the way. They fall behind the pivot and get in the way of removing the motor all the time.