RC Qualifier

So apparently I'm a nitro owner now...

Been into electrics since before it was cool (think 1200mah NiCD), and last night I was poking through craigslist when I saw a Revo 3.3 for $80. I'm a sucker for the Revo platform, so I talked to the guy a bit and ended up taking it home. I know that is a bit dangerous with nitros (particularly since he had no fuel so I could see it run), but he said it ran well and I decided to take his word for it.

I figured even if it didn't run, many drivetrain parts would work on my E-Revo, and I could part out the rest. Nonetheless, I went over to the hobby shop and picked up a couple new a-arms (two were broken) and a quart of 20%. Hooked up a battery to the EZ start and gave it a shot. Took a while to prime the fuel lines (my god this thing has a lot of fuel line), but after a quick search on this forum I discovered the tip about covering the exhaust outlet. Once I got some fuel to the carb, it fired right up.

Headed to work now but I'll get a couple of pictures up later.

Any advice once I get the electronics and everything set up? Still haven't decided if I'm keeping it, but for now I'm having fun tinkering.
    MMM E-Revo
    "Holy crap look at it go!"

RC Enthusiast
    Lucky you. For that price I would keep it. That is a $400+ truck, you can electronics on ebay new. I got a 2.4GHz remote and reciever combo for $34.50.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcracing6575 View Post
    Lucky you. For that price I would keep it. That is a $400+ truck, you can electronics on ebay new. I got a 2.4GHz remote and reciever combo for $34.50.
    I wouldnt go as far as saying its a $400 dollar truck, but good deal none the less. I purchased a Revo a few months ago completely RTR for $100.00 and it came with spares. I ran it for about 10 tanks of fuel and the motor pooped out on it. Sold it on Kijiji (like Craigs List) for $200.00 . That was a sweet deal.
    E-REVO MMM - Stampede 4x4 6s/3s

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by MXrider View Post
    think 1200mah NiCD
    How old ARE you?!
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Qualifier
    [QUOTE=zippogeek;5396473]How old ARE you?! [/QUOTE

Your my boy BLUE !
    E-REVO MMM - Stampede 4x4 6s/3s

RC Qualifier
    Got everything together today. Got the a-arms installed, gave the receiver battery a fresh charge, and finally figured out this whole optidrive mess. Finally ready to go, excited to drive a nitro for the first time. Truck started, idled for a couple of seconds, then died.

DOH. It didn't do this yesterday, what gives? Read some stuff, played with the needles, and got...not much better. If I started it and then immediately held the throttle at about 50%, it would move quite well. But if I let off the throttle at all the motor would instantly die. I'm thinking low speed?

But I have no idea, because I tried just nailing the throttle right after starting it, and that didn't work much better. It took off like an angry bumble bee, then the motor just died about 10 feet from me.

Tried going back to OEM settings and that did little to help.

Additionally, the wheels spin when I start the motor and lift the truck off the ground. Clutch problems?

Blah. Any ideas on where I should start?

Pictures as promised (with the uncleaned body...). So I suppose today not so successful. BUT not discouraged.
    MMM E-Revo

RC Qualifier
    Check your clutch spring.
    Jato 3.3, Revo .28 JL Max, Nitro Stampede 3.3

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Jato View Post
    Check your clutch spring.
    Yup, will do. Did some more reading and it looks like that might fix my problems.
    MMM E-Revo

RC Racer
    +1 on the clutch spring. Just wait till you get it running. The sound and smell of the nitro engine is soooooo much better than the little whine the electrics have.

RC Qualifier
    Well...interesting turn of events.

Bought the new shoes/spring (assuming that's what was wrong), and tore the truck apart when I got home. Turns out it has an aftermarket flywheel and 3 piece aluminum clutch. I could be wrong but I THINK I've nailed it down as a product of Team Integy.

Now I don't want to judge this part prematurely, but with any electric car I typically avoid Integy like the plague. Is the clutch bum or do I have other problems? The only thing I noticed when I took the clutch bell off is that one of the 3 "arms" was slightly stuck. Pushed it down and now I can't see anything wrong with it. From what I can see, this uses all internal springs, so my extra part is sort of useless.

Now what? I enjoyed removing the engine - Took only slightly more work than a basic electric motor.
    MMM E-Revo

RC Qualifier
    While I had the motor off, I pulled the EZ start off and discovered some pretty awful looking gears under the cover. Threw it back together with a new Traxxas glow plug and a Traxxas pull start, then gave it a shot today. Set the high and low needles back to stock, idle gap was good, primed the motor, clipped in the glow plug igniter, then pulled and pulled until I couldn't anymore.

Could not get the thing to fire even once. Pulled the plug and the cylinder looks as though it's getting gas. Tried heating the head with a hair dryer. Nothing. Nothing to even give me hope.

Where do I go from here? Does it sound like a tune issue or a mechanical issue? Because I sure as heck can't figure it out.
    MMM E-Revo

RC Racer
    stupid question, but how's your idle screw? you said it would stall when you weren't on the gas? check the carb opening and make sure its open enough. throw the trim up on the remote and try starting it and see if that's doing anything for you. the engine's a pretty simple design. once you know the carb is open enough, set the engine really rich and try starting it. as it doesn't start, keep going lean until you get it running, and go from there.

RC Champion
    Sounds like you need to adjust the idle speed up. Just tuning the high speed and low speed won't raise the idle (Despite what some people say) enough to avoid touching the idle screw.
    How about your glow ignitor? Make sure its fully charged.
    Also make sure that all the cooling head screws are nice and tight. If they're loose you can loose enough compression that it won't fire and sometimes stall.
    You're right about the integy clutch. Ditch that piece of crap and get a stock revo clutch setup. Believe it or not it will probably be better.
    "I like rc cars"....."WHAT? YOU'RE KIDDING!"

RC Qualifier
    Whoops, forgot to check this thread again. Thanks for the input guys.

I ended up getting it running by resetting the idle gap (was slightly too big), leaning out the mixture, and swapping the lame AA glow ignitor for a rechargeable Losi one. I can't say for sure what did the trick, but it fired right up. The clutch seems to be working fine, however the Integy will be tossed if I decide to keep the truck.

At this point it's just a matter of tuning. I had to lean everything out quite a bit, yet it still seems to blow a lot of smoke and excess fuel out the exhaust. My only other problem is that the motor seems to do basically nothing until I hit at least 1/2 throttle. I'm not really sure if that's normal or my tune is off, but it screams on the top end so I haven't worried about it too much.

The truck is fast, but sort of in a different way than the electrics. Where the nitro revs up to a fast yet controllable speed, the electrics just spin up immediately, causing nasty wheelspin and uncontrollable speeds. Additionally I've noticed the nitro handles better. I don't know exactly why, but my guess is the aluminum chassis helps a lot. The truck doesn't seem as "flexible" if that makes any sense.

Also sick of cleaning this darn thing, seems as though it manages to get sludge just about everywhere during each run. Is that normal?

EDIT: Also forgot to say - I LOVE the brakes on this thing. They are stellar.
    Last edited by MXrider; 02-05-2013 at 11:19 PM.
    MMM E-Revo

RC Racer
    yeah they get dirty because of the exhaust, the nitro fuel is oil, and it attracts dirt. as for the point that you move on the throttle, that has to do with your clutch. the clutch expands based on engine rpm, onto the clutchbell. so if your spring is really tight, it takes more rpm, higher reving, for the truck to move. that could be the clutch on there. also, probably not the case, but if you rbrake is extremely tight, then that could be holding the truck back from moving. while the throttle is at neutral, try rolling the truck. if there's any hesitation, loosen the brake until there isn't any. too loose, and obviously the brake doesn't grab, but there is a happy medium if everything is in mechanical order. i love nitro for the real engine feel, you get a nice torque curve, something that electric tries to simulate somewhat but it just doesn't feel the same. i'll never own an electric i don't think, nitro is just more fun. also, the handling may be better due to weight distribution, or just weight in general.