Thread: Clutch Shoes

RC Racer

Clutch Shoes

As this is my first time to tear down my motor to this point as I put on the magnetic fly wheel. looking at the clutch shoes the spring that holds them together is past the clutch shoes (as I feel silly for asking this) am I do for some new ones? With that being asked if I am due for new ones please suggest to me what I should get to replace them and while I am at it should I get a different clutch bell, I am not sure what the stock tooth, nor am I very familiar what result you get by going with more or less teeth.

RC Racer
    I have a 22t clutch bell currently

RC Enthusiast
    if you are looking for more speed more teeth.

If you want more acceleration go for less teeth.

RC Racer
    cool, that easy to remember. Thanks for the response

RC Racer
    it appears I have a choice of a 3 shoe or a 4 shoe aluminum alloy, both from integy for clutch shoes, what do suggest I go with for clutch shoes

RC Qualifier
    DO NOT BUY INTEGY CLUTCH SHOES! They wear out an mushroom way to fast (I have one collecting dust in my toolbox) pick up another stock set or the MIP replacement shoes. I bought the MIP and couldn't be happier with them. You get two sets of mount holes to fine tune the engagement and they're about the same price as stock.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxximum Overdive View Post
    DO NOT BUY INTEGY CLUTCH SHOES! They wear out an mushroom way to fast (I have one collecting dust in my toolbox) pick up another stock set or the MIP replacement shoes. I bought the MIP and couldn't be happier with them. You get two sets of mount holes to fine tune the engagement and they're about the same price as stock.
    Make that anything Integy, except their suspension springs.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rcdriver5 View Post
    +1 ^^^^^^^^^

RC Racer
    I give up, I can't figure out what MIP stands for. I don't know how long the stock clutch should last as I maybe got a gallon out of this set.

RC Qualifier
    Originally Posted by rcdriver5

My axles are a testament to this
    Desmosedici RR

RC Qualifier

RC Racer
    copy that max, thanks for the info.

+1 I use the MIP 2 shoe clutches on the 3.3 and 2.5... Set up properly it works great and lasts..

Now about that spring... 3 words... Location location location.

Meaning,, there a connection point in which the two ends meet. Trick is to place this connection point where it gets the least amount of pulling on it... Place it in the center of one of the shoes....
    Another point, when connecting the ends, un-wind the spring a few turns so it will want to wind into itself as you let go.. This will ensure the spring stays connected... Also make sure you get around 4 full turns into itself for a strong connection.

Lastly,,, placing the spring, make sure you roll it onto the clutch and into position, then look at it face on, you should not see very much if any spring showing, should be as littl as possible, if exposed it may be not seated right. Also that connection point, keep it away from the flywheel pins, make sure it is in the center of one of the shoes..

Once you have the CB and e-clip (with .5mm washer just before it), turn the cb with your hand,,, it should spin freely, if you hear any noise, chances are the spring is rubbing on the CB... IF that happens you will be revisiting this job soon as the spring will wear and break.
    Robin Williams
    He will be greatly missed...

RC Racer
    I appreciate you writing that out for me because that was a concern and new that I was going to be having a problem so I have not put it all back together yet. when I have the clutch shoes off the spring is not sticking out past the shoes but once I put it on the pins one of the pins pushes the spring out past the shoes. I am going to go do as you suggested and see what I can gain.

RC Racer
    that little spring is a booger , it don't seem to drag on the CB

RC poster
    Poking out there by the pin is ok. Thar part of the clutch does not contact the bell. I also put tiny washers on the pins before putting the shoes on as my last set wore uneven and was pushing bell out with the wedge that the wear made.