Thread: need for speed

RC Competitor

need for speed

I have a stock 3.3 and has hop up and exhaust and intake. Is there any other motor hop ups that can be done
    Tmaxx 3.3 jato rustler vxl stampede son ova digger

RC Qualifier
    What exhaust and air filter do you have on there right now? Because some might actually be downgrades. Some things you can do are getting a new carb like an O.S. 11k or a Buku three shoe clutch. Changing the gearing between spur and clutch bell have a major impact, depending on if you want better acceleration or more top end.

RC Competitor
    I've just got the traxxas resonator and the high flow intake

.stock like what u get on the current model

RC Qualifier
    Ok those are both fine, there's obviously better, such as the Motor Saver air filter. The 3.3 has plenty of power, and besides the things like gearing ratio, there isn't much you can do to increase the power of the engine. Making the car lighter and decreasing the rotating mass on things like the driveshafts can help a little bit, but not by much. The main thing to focus on is tuning. Proper tuning is a fine line between too lean and too rich

RC Competitor
    Absolutely.

For air filters you said you upgraded. There is the traxxas hi-flow and of course a few other companies make one. I tried the new motorsaver air filter and it works great!

Carbs: read this write-up from slayer: http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...highlight=carb

RC Competitor
    I've got both the motor savor and the large pink one pulled the reverse out and have it dropped in the weeds for street use. I call it my d Maxx or drag Maxx lol its stupid quick buy just try in to think if there's anything else to get the edge over my jato and rustler buddies. surprisingly I don't have too much trouble with them guys parsley cause they don't know how to drive in partially just cause with that T Maxx I can just lunch it and get the whole shot on em.... usually the race doesn't last long enough for them to pull around me

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, unless you want to upgrade engine to a OS .21TM or a Picco .26max or red dot, that's all you can really do.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by rcdriver5 View Post
    Yeah, unless you want to upgrade engine to a OS .21TM or a Picco .26max or red dot, that's all you can really do.
    How much change for u think I'd actually see if I did go to a big block? I've got a buddy with a savage and there about the same size as my 4908 and I kill him when we street race

RC Qualifier
    The engines I listed aren't technically BB and will drop right in (the Red Dot might need a little modding) but a big block is even bigger, and normally requires a bit of modding, like a Thunder chassis or a monoblock for the engine to have enough clearance. An OS .21 TM is almost the same size as the 3.3 (.1 cu. in. bigger) but has a significant amount more power. The Picco's have even more power, and will probably need upgraded driveshafts and axles.

RC Enthusiast
    That may not be much of a test. The savage and tmaxx may be the same size, but the savage is more weight in it's design making it a little slower. I could also mean you are a better driver and tuner. As far is change in performance? I have done it, for a year and a half I ran the big blocks in my t maxx. I did it on the classic t maxx which made mines harder. The things I liked with a bigger engine, 1 more power means higher gear ratio= more speed. 2 did not lose much or if any bottom end. There are down sides. 1 Bigger engine burns more fuel. Run times will be shorter (this depends on the size of the engine). A .21, burns a little more than the 3.3, .32, sucks fuel like crazy. 2 The increase power can wear out parts faster if you do not adjust for the increase in power.
    I got my t maxx to run in the range of 55-60mph with axial .28. If I had the 4908 model, I would go big block.

RC Competitor
    Honestly, the Motorsaver and dual chamber tuned pipe with a Forward only conversion is great on this truck. I run 20% but if you wanted more power run some 33%

Before considering a motor swap, if you truly dont want that engine anymore, go get a dremel and learn how to port. Try that and you should see a whole new engine.

RC Competitor
    THS exhaust an a losi 3.4 carb will light it up over the stock resonator an 3.3 trx carb. and a good tune
    revo 3.3 tmaxx 3.3 ofna hyper 7

RC Enthusiast
    how much of a difference will the 3.4 card ths exhaust make?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rcdriver5 View Post
    The engines I listed aren't technically BB and will drop right in (the Red Dot might need a little modding) but a big block is even bigger, and normally requires a bit of modding, like a Thunder chassis or a monoblock for the engine to have enough clearance. An OS .21 TM is almost the same size as the 3.3 (.1 cu. in. bigger) but has a significant amount more power. The Picco's have even more power, and will probably need upgraded driveshafts and axles.
    The picco max engines including the red dot only require a engine mount
    No other modding is needed. Now if you wan to run a BB header you either need a a chassis extension or to switch over to a 4 shock setup.

I have close to 4 gallons on my stock axles and tranny 1 gallon was with the .26 red dot

RC Enthusiast
    The picco engines are drop in? Looking to make my bashing T maxx more powerful and not change a lot or spend two much money on it if I am going to build a racing setup later.

RC Competitor
    Well looks like I got some deciding to do.lol thanks for all your input.