RC Racer

ESC smoked / on nimh

So yesterday I ran the stampede for 30mins on 3s, ran great. Put in the nimh battery and something went wrong i set the esc back to nimh mode ran it for 5 mins then it went into thermo shut down mode. I took the battery out it had a temp of 210 deg! Went to run it today and all it will do is cog no power etc. Called up Traxxas and they said send it back, support from them is always great. But my question is do you think the battery could have tanked the esc or was the esc at fault all ready before the battery failure ?

Also I have fans on both the esc and motor, then never passed 130 deg.

thanks

Andrew
    Stampede 4x4 vxl w/ MMP/2400kv, Mini E-Revo

RC Qualifier
    Depending on your driving style, 30 minutes on 3s could be torture on your ESC. I would suspect that you heated it up on 3s almost to the breaking point, then finished it off with the NiMh. Your ESC needs a break every few minutes while running 3s to give it time to cool off. Traxxas will probably confirm this. After being heated to 210 I'd probably scrap the battery. Having a fan on the ESC doesn't make it cook proof. The fan is only cooling the heat sink as fast as the heat can be transferred from the transistors in the ESC to the heatsink, and it cant possibly transfer heat that quickly for that long. This is why even with a fan, the Internal parts of your ESC need time to cool.
    Who needs nitro, when you got LiPo?

RC Racer
    I check the temps every 5mins or so while running, never run for over 8 or so mins without check the temp. And for the temp on the esc it was 65 on the fins and 78 on the backside of the case. Motor got to 130.

Andrew

RC Enthusiast
    I've been running a 3S 6400mAh 65C lipo from full to cutoff followed by a 3s 5000mAh 25c lipo, bashing and jumping in 28 deg C ambient. Maybe my esc has better thermal transfer between components and heatsink? With fan on the ESC and motor, my esc hasn't exceeded 58 deg C (at the heatsink). Don't know what it's getting to internally but I've done two consecutive big 3s packs several times without issue. Having read this thread it sounds like I've been running right at its upper limits.

RC Racer
    Air temp will have alot to do with it as well. It was 54 here yesterday.

Andrew

RC Racer
    sorry double post : (

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    Maybe the esc was angry at you for giving it the 3s power it deserves, then trying to feed it an nimh pack! Kinda like serving caviar as a starter dish then pizza pops for the main course! Lol

Are you running stock gearing? If so, you shouldn't have any heat problems running a full 3s pack. I run a full 5400mah 3s 25c lipo through mine every time with stock gearing and i dont even have a fan on the esc. With my previous P4de geared stock in summer weather (80-90F) on 3s lipo, i ran a fan on the vxl-3s and never had it thermal. Some days i ran back to back 3s packs for a total of 90 mins runtime and the esc would heat up to around 140F but never thermal. Gotta be something wrong with it.

Sent from Baldy's iPad using your wireless signal. Thanks!

P2DE(S) - P4DE - EMAXX - FUNNY CAR - MERV
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by AZAD View Post
    So yesterday I ran the stampede for 30mins on 3s, ran great. Put in the nimh battery and something went wrong i set the esc back to nimh mode ran it for 5 mins then it went into thermo shut down mode. I took the battery out it had a temp of 210 deg! Went to run it today and all it will do is cog no power etc. Called up Traxxas and they said send it back, support from them is always great. But my question is do you think the battery could have tanked the esc or was the esc at fault all ready before the battery failure ?
    Also I have fans on both the esc and motor, then never passed 130 deg.

thanks
    Andrew
    If your battery got that hot, 1 or 2 cells probably self destructed. Might have shorted and killed off the ESC. I fried two NiMh batteries myself and then decided to go 2S & 3S. With the same set up (13/54 gearing, esc fan, twin motor fans) everything stays cooler including the 4000 Mah 2S & 3S Lipo's which barely get warm. I get about 20 mins tho, not 30. I drive rather aggressivly to keep just out of the reach of my Dobie. He loves to race it and Dobermans top out at 30 mph.

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    I dont think he meant that the battery got hot, he was saying that he took the nimh battery out and the esc was at 210.

Sent from Baldy's iPad using your wireless signal. Thanks!

P2DE(S) - P4DE - EMAXX - FUNNY CAR - MERV
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

RC Racer
    The actuall battery was 210, melted down one of the cells near the front of the pack. I was reading and trying to do some homework / brain storming that i may swtich the esc / motor out and go with a mamb set up. This system seems to be used offten Castle Creations 1/10 Mamba Max Pro SC System 2400kV does this set up have the same power as the stock and will it handle 3s better?

thanks
    Andrew

RC Qualifier
    The actuall battery was 210, melted down one of the cells near the front of the pack. I was reading and trying to do some homework / brain storming that i may swtich the esc / motor out and go with a mamb set up. This system seems to be used offten Castle Creations 1/10 Mamba Max Pro SC System 2400kV does this set up have the same power as the stock and will it handle 3s better?

thanks
    Andrew
    It's way more powerful, but it ain't cheap. Also, you'll be giving up your cheap replacement cost under the lifetime warranty exchange when you do blow a motor or ESC. And it's not going to be waterproof anymore either.

The 2400kv is a monster and can be made waterproof with plastic dip but you want to makw sure the rest of the truck can take that power dude if not look at the hobbywing sc8 120 wp esc and a tenshock motor like the 3400kv it will be so good on 2s and 3s ....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Racer
    thank you much! ordered one at the lhs store today

Andrew

thank you much! ordered one at the lhs store today
    As long as you have a complete, unopened MMP, you can get it exchanged for $75 last I checked.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...