Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Competitor

New steel driveshaft for stampede 4x4

Anyone has any experience or review regarding the new steel driveshaft by traxxas? Intending to buy them instead of tekno or mip. Parts number TRA6852R AND TRA6851R.

http://traxxas.com/products/models/e...xl-accessories

Been checking all sorts of forums but can't really find any good/bad reviews about them.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by saternal View Post
    Anyone has any experience or review regarding the new steel driveshaft by traxxas? Intending to buy them instead of tekno or mip. Parts number TRA6852R AND TRA6851R.

http://traxxas.com/products/models/e...xl-accessories

Been checking all sorts of forums but can't really find any good/bad reviews about them.
    They haven't been out long. I read on another thread where somebody failed one. They're pricier than the others. If you like them and do have a problem, at least you know Traxxas is going to stand behind them.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ROB311952 View Post
    They haven't been out long. I read on another thread where somebody failed one. They're pricier than the others. If you like them and do have a problem, at least you know Traxxas is going to stand behind them.
    Yups. Traxxas is gonna stand behind them. Problem is I'm staying in Asia and shipping a broken/damaged part will cost much more then buying just a new 1. Heard some problems about the MIP CVDs and Tekno's appear to be great but I would really like to keep my alumminum hub carriers. I been reading some threads about the new Traxxas Driveshaft but it always stops before anyone is able to give a review about them.

RC Qualifier
    Wanna hear a review of the traxxas steel driveshaft if you ever purchased a set.

RC Qualifier
    Yups. Traxxas is gonna stand behind them. Problem is I'm staying in Asia and shipping a broken/damaged part will cost much more then buying just a new 1. Heard some problems about the MIP CVDs and Tekno's appear to be great but I would really like to keep my alumminum hub carriers. I been reading some threads about the new Traxxas Driveshaft but it always stops before anyone is able to give a review about them.
    I'm running the old pin style MIPs on the back with RPM plastic hub carriers and new style keyed MIP axles on front with GH aluminum carriers & STRC aluminumn castor blocks. I had aluminum hub carriers on the back but they were a pain to get the old bearings out of when you change them. The RPM is just as durable and doesn't have that problem. I'm going to stick with them and leave the aluminum ones in the toolbox.

They are coming out in the uk but they cost 142.00 for a full set which is way to much its still cheaper for me to buy mips from usa and have a enough to buy a set of wheels and tyres...peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Qualifier
    I also really want to know who has tried these steel driveshafts.

Here's a pic of it:

RC Racer
    Same ones as the XO built for 100mph so must be pretty good.

RC Qualifier
    Slash VXL 2X4 SLASH 4X4 MT

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    I've been running both F/R sets on my 1/10 Rally 4wd with good success. My power plant is a ET-3S ESC & ET-2400kv motor. I have around a dozen or so packs through them. So far they've done me a good job. I also have experience with Tekno and MIP's ( new design ). All have their pro's and con's.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Enthusiast
    Does anybody know a better and cheap alternative?

RC Champion
    Hey Digger do you think those axles will work with the Protrac kit for a stampede 4x4?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaky17 View Post
    Found this wright-up on another forum, sounds interesting.

I will start by saying that I have run the larger brother to these axles for a long time and since these direct fit versions for the slash (stampede) have come out, everyone asks wether they should get them.

Here are my initial observations, I will soon follow with pics.

The thing is I really like the idea of these for a few reasons but I do have issues too, here are my pros and cons -

Pros:

- Very high level of precision

- Very hard metal does not wear (seemingly at all)

- Nice rubber boots

- Captured pins cannot come out

- Easy servicing, no tools needed to rebuild shafts quickly

- Cheap replacement parts (assuming they are in stock)

Cons:

- Hard metal splinters on hard impacts (the internal splined halfshaft and the output shaft will break)

- Some hard impacts and/or debris have caused the boots to dislodge resulting in lost pins.

- High cost compared to other options

- Small 5mm stub axles can still bend

- Still uses 2mm pin drive susceptible to breakage

My conclusion is that if spending the money (and you must use Traxxas axles), one may be much better off to go with the XO-1 shafts (which are $4/pr. CHEAPER), which only differ in that the outer stub axle is larger (6mm) which resist bending much better and also allowing you to run the 6x12 bearings which will last much longer as well.

Other options:

- Run the 6851R / 6852R with the XO-1 knuckles and 5x12 bearings

- Run 6851R (front) in both front and rear and use the Tekno knuckles (the Tekno rear uses the 10x15 inner bearing too so it takes a front stub axle)

- Use 6451 (XO-1) front axles all around and use Tekno knuckles and rear carriers

- (my fave) run the XO-1 fronts all around with XO-1 front knuckles / caster blocks and Tekno rear carriers.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by foulkjonathon View Post
    Does anybody know a better and cheap alternative?
    MIP. Only pc I've ever broken is a couple of rear shear pins on the coupling which are cheap and readily available from MIP.
    This is the part that gets the most wear with hard use. As they get thinner where they engages the outer shaft, they eventually will break, but no big deal. $10 for a coupling rebuild kit which does two.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks any other good cvd
    MIP. Only pc I've ever broken is a couple of rear shear pins on the coupling which are cheap and readily available from MIP.
    This is the part that gets the most wear with hard use. As they get thinner where they engages the outer shaft, they eventually will break, but no big deal. $10 for a coupling rebuild kit which does two.

RC Qualifier
    one may be much better off to go with the XO-1 shafts (which are $4/pr. CHEAPER), which only differ in that the outer stub axle is larger (6mm) which resist bending much better and also allowing you to run the 6x12 bearings which will last much longer as well.
    A few questions:
    1) What is the difference between the X0-1 front shaft and rear shaft? Are the rears longer?

2) Can we use X0-1 rear shafts all around instead?

3) Since the X0-1 uses 6mm stub axle and 17mm hex. I also need to get this right (Traxxas part num: 6469)?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by stampede_fanatic; 01-25-2013 at 01:15 PM.

RC Qualifier
    [QUOTE=stampede_fanatic;5400182]A few questions:
    1) What is the difference between the X0-1 front shaft and rear shaft? Are the rears longer?

2) Can we use X0-1 rear shafts all around instead?

3) Since the X0-1 uses 6mm stub axle and 17mm hex. I also need to get this right (Traxxas part num: 6469)?

1) Outer stub axles use different bearings.

2) No, again bearings.

3) Yes.

Below are the exploded views.

http://traxxas.com/explodedviews/640...ded-Views-XO-1

BTW, I'm a Tekno fan boy, 2 years and counting no failures.
    Last edited by Shaky17; 01-25-2013 at 05:04 PM.

RC Qualifier
    [QUOTE=Shaky17;5400430]If you look at the front exploded view, you will see that the 6451 axle uses 2 different types of bearings (traxxas part num: 5117 and 5119). Also if you look at the rear exploded view, you will see that the 6452 axle uses 2 of the same type of bearing (traxxas part num: 5117). That made my assumption that the rear x0-1 axles can be used all around the pede 4x4 since u will be using the same bearings on all 4 corners.

The 6852R steel driveshaft setup is very similar to the way the x0-1's 6452 axle is set up. The only difference between them is that the 6852R uses a 5mm stub axle with a 12mm hex. The x0-1 uses a 6mm stub axle and 17mm hex. If you want to upgrade to 17mm hexes, and toughen just the rears, can u just get 2 rear xo-1 axles, 4 bearings (5117) along with the hubs (6469), and hub inserts (5854) and your all set? There will be no problem for the front, since the traxxas 17mm hex upgrade can take care of that.
    Last edited by stampede_fanatic; 01-25-2013 at 08:25 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    i'm running tekno CVD's with XO-1 stubs and XO-1 carriers/knuckles on protrac arms.

protrac arms gives you 8mm length overall, thats 4mm each corner.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |

RC Qualifier
    [QUOTE=stampede_fanatic;5400636]

If you look at the front exploded view, you will see that the 6451 axle uses 2 different types of bearings (traxxas part num: 5117 and 5119). Also if you look at the rear exploded view, you will see that the 6452 axle uses 2 of the same type of bearing (traxxas part num: 5117). That made my assumption that the rear x0-1 axles can be used all around the pede 4x4 since u will be using the same bearings on all 4 corners.

The 6852R steel driveshaft setup is very similar to the way the x0-1's 6452 axle is set up. The only difference between them is that the 6852R uses a 5mm stub axle with a 12mm hex. The x0-1 uses a 6mm stub axle and 17mm hex. If you want to upgrade to 17mm hexes, and toughen just the rears, can u just get 2 rear xo-1 axles, 4 bearings (5117) along with the hubs (6469), and hub inserts (5854) and your all set? There will be no problem for the front, since the traxxas 17mm hex upgrade can take care of that.
    Yes the rear will work with part#6455 rear carrier's.

The front will require part# 6439 steering blocks & 6x12 outer bearing + 10x15 inner bearing, for steering clearance. With 6451 front axles.
    Last edited by Shaky17; 01-26-2013 at 12:22 AM.

RC Competitor
    WoW guys. Thanks for the great response. I think I will go for the New Traxxas Steel Drive shafts. I mostly bash on skateparks with medium height jumps. I also like to go on high speed runs nearby. Think the Traxxas Driveshaft will fit my style better. If that fails I guess I will just go for Teknos all around. Thanks again for the help. Any updates can just be posted here.

RC Competitor
    Didnt read the link before I posted that. Seems like the Traxxas driveshaft can hold lots of power however is weak to hard landings and off road drivings. Hmm..this makes me think whether I should really get it or just go fro MIPs since I can still use my alum hub carriers. I love the alum hub carriers. Totally no play in the rear wheels at all after I installed them(I installed them in opposite sides to make the truck go straighter). I dont really do offroad driving, mostly only on pavements and skateparks and asphalt. The new shafts will definitely good for pavement and asphalt driving however will be bad for the skatepark jumps. Confused more then ever now. Pardon my RC language. Noob here and this is my very 1st truck.

RC poster
    I bought them for a couple of days ago. I have tested them for about 5-6 runs with 3s lipo and they havent broke yet.
    The normal drive shafts last for 1-2 runs, so i hope the new shafts will work longer. Come back with some more detalis after more testing.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by blenda12 View Post
    I bought them for a couple of days ago. I have tested them for about 5-6 runs with 3s lipo and they havent broke yet.
    The normal drive shafts last for 1-2 runs, so i hope the new shafts will work longer. Come back with some more detalis after more testing.
    looking forward for your review. What are abuse are u putting those new drive shafts through? jumps? speed runs? off road bashing?

RC Qualifier
    Can't wait for the review.

RC Qualifier
    Just a question for those XO1 Wheel hubs (part#6469)

Can I use those on my technos to give me 17 mm hubs for larger wheels?

RC Qualifier
    I love the alum hub carriers. Totally no play in the rear wheels at all after I installed them(I installed them in opposite sides to make the truck go straighter).
    Hmm, lemme try doing that since toe-in became more worse after installing the hub carriers.

EDIT: I already switched them. All I could say is wow! Big change. There's way lesser toe-in now. Thanks saternal!

Toe-in before switching alum hub carriers:

Toe-in after switching alum hub carriers:
    Last edited by stampede_fanatic; 01-26-2013 at 01:07 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by buduck04 View Post
    Just a question for those XO1 Wheel hubs (part#6469)

Can I use those on my technos to give me 17 mm hubs for larger wheels?
    Tekno has 17mm adapters, part# TKR1654-17, plus you will have a warranty.

RC Qualifier
    yeah I saw them, just wondering since they are cheaper

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by stampede_fanatic View Post
    Hmm, lemme try doing that since toe-in became more worse after installing the hub carriers.

EDIT: I already switched them. All I could say is wow! Big change. There's way lesser toe-in now. Thanks saternal!

Toe-in before switching alum hub carriers:

Toe-in after switching alum hub carriers:
    No problem. Glad to be of help. Did it go straighter after the swap?

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, it definitely went straighter compared to before. I also saw a change on the way it rolls. Not noticeable on a grassy field, but on a hard surface like asphalt I really saw how much farther it rolls after letting go of the trigger.

Thanks again man!
    Last edited by stampede_fanatic; 01-26-2013 at 11:43 PM.

RC Competitor

Gogo blenda..we waiting for your review..or is it already broken and ure taking the time now to fix it...

RC Racer
    is it the traxxas alum carriers? L to R and R to the L? will straighten rear wheels?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by janmichael_zamora View Post
    is it the traxxas alum carriers? L to R and R to the L? will straighten rear wheels?
    Yes, correct

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by pdl2mtl90 View Post
    Yes, correct
    aha, i will swap my carriers then,

RC poster
    Still going strong...about 10 times (Charges) with 3slipo...but i think something in the clutch was broken today....motor was going but the wheels didnt turn around. Replace the cluthch this weekend

RC Qualifier
    Still going strong...about 10 times (Charges) with 3slipo...motor was going but the wheels didn't turn around. Replace the clutch this weekend
    On 3s sounds like you may have cooked the motor
    O.S.21 Nitro Revo, Stampede 4x4, 2 Axial Honcho's

RC Qualifier
    Still going strong...about 10 times (Charges) with 3slipo...but i think something in the clutch was broken today....motor was going but the wheels didnt turn around. Replace the cluthch this weekend
    I run the bigger Revo Clutch and pressure plate in mine. Lasts a lot longer before needing maintenance. It's a bolt in too, with no mods needed.

RC Qualifier
    I run the bigger Revo Clutch and pressure plate in mine. Lasts a lot longer before needing maintenance. It's a bolt in too, with no mods needed.
    Will definitely keep a note of that!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by janmichael_zamora View Post
    aha, i will swap my carriers then,
    rear cariers should have labeled 1.5/3.5
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |