RC Champion

Need your input on tools.

Ok, I have been in rc for quite some time now and I have finally reached a breaking point on tools. Theres nothing more that bothers me than cranking down on a screw and stripping the allen wrench Im using. I used t handle wrenches but the ones I have need cut off and ground flat every job I did with them. (dont buy harbor freight tools .) I had a dynamite set that used long rod style double headed pieces that fit into the screwdriver style handle, however the driver handle doest accept the rods anymore. The factory bend allens are fine in a pinch but really arent ideal.

So my question is what are the best allen wrench sets out there? I am tired of stripped wrenches.
    Ill need both standard and metric sets as I own other models than traxxas.

Also, what do you feel is the best battery drill out there. easy to use and best battery life..

I understand you get what you pay for, so if the best is to get snap-on then I will.

I appreciate your input guys.
    Thanks
    Jon
    Rustler, Bandit, Summit, Emaxx, Rally, and Alias

RC Champion
    You don't need snap-on anything. I have a set of Dynamite allen drivers and they're good, but no ball ends.
    As for a drill you can't go wrong with Dewalt.
    erbe emaxx 26maxx s27revo 18tmrevo XXL platinum

RC Champion
    I am happy with my dynamite tools but if your not check out hudy.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Qualifier
    i love my double drive set. but if you want to use it you have to get more bits
    Rc...my wallet hates it...but my brain loves it

RC Champion
    Can't say what to do about Allen wrenches as I'm in the same place as you. What kind should I get?

I have had a dewalt drill for almost 9 years now and it works great. Haven't had a problem with it.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    I am using a set from Bondhus...
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i01

They were having a sale... only paid $8 shipped.

I looked all over for good long tips that would click into my drill or even the cheap-o Wally world one for $8. I couldn't find any for a decent price.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Trademark-...-Bits/19313358
    Last edited by Jimmie Neutron; 01-21-2013 at 10:27 AM.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    http://m.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-1-In...068/100040235/

I got a set if these to put in my little screw gun. Downside is they're so short.

Hope the link works.
    addicted much....

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Ive used about 10 different "multi took sets". The onest that come in a little case with double ended bits. all from different companies and they were all junk IMO. As crazy as it sounds, the best tool set for the money IMO is the Integy ultimate 29 or 31 piece. About $150 and you get nearly every size of metric and standard hexs, nut drivers, flat blade, 2 phillips, a body reamer, lexan scissors, pliers and a pile of other stuff I never use. Ive been using the same tool set for 2 years now and have only ever rounded off the green handle tip (most common on every RC so its tightened and loosened THOUSANDS of screws). But, for $5 I went on ebay and bought a new tip, replaced it and havent stripped a 2nd one since.

The ONLY product I think integy makes that worth the cardboard box its shipped in is their tools. Best investment Id made in RC other than my charger.

I NEVER use a drill for anything but drilling. Most RC's have screws that thread into plastic. One pull too hard on a drill and youll strip the threads. For the extra time it takes, I just do it all by hand so I know nothign is getting damaged.

For drilling holes, I just a Makita 10.8 volts LIon drill. The little on that comes in a 2 piece set with a little impact gun as well. Cost me $100 and its just awesome for everything around the house. Came with both tools, the charger, 2 batteries and an aluminum case. Pretty sure other companies make similar setups. The size of them just makes them super handy for all kinds of jobs.
    Last edited by pavmentsurfer; 01-21-2013 at 10:35 AM.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    Ok so Ive read many different forums and seen that everyone likes different types or brands. I was almost about to order a set of integy tools, but waited to read up some more on the matter. I started to see a couple sets being refered to more than others. A THS set and Eds. I looked at eds website and searched for all reviews on eds I could find along with doing so for the THS ones. Both have great reviews but I think Im going to try out a set of the Eds Racing ones.

Thanks for the input on everything. I appreciate it.
    Rustler, Bandit, Summit, Emaxx, Rally, and Alias

RC Enthusiast
    i got this and love it not every tool needed but quite a few
    http://www.duratrax.com/accessories/tools/dtxr1165.html

RC Champion
    I do a bit of parting out so I guess this could be my area of expertise. I have just about every R/C tool out there.

Drill, the Craftsman 12V nextec l-ion drill. about $100 with 2 batteries. Is right at 2 lbs, and has some super soft, r/c friendly clutch settings. It has finess or power whichever you need in a compact lightweight package. I have 4 of these.

Driver bits. I have found the associated ones to give the best bang for the buck. The 1/4" hex driver bits. They have a brownish coating. The standard associated bits arn't any good. p/n 1655 will give you an assortment and a handle. I have 2 of these and an assortment of thier other "browned steel" 1/4" driver tip as well as nut drivers in 5.5,7 and 8mm.

Hand tools That #1655 associated is a good unversal set but I prefer my pro-line set of tools. Discontinued but I bought up a bunch of tips before they were all gone. All the tips are awsome except the 1.5mm break easy, I replaced it with an Integy tip and its working well. Hopefully the last set of R/C tools I ever own. I have 2 sets of metrics, 1 standard set, all the odds and end tools, and replacement tips galore.

I hear hudy is good but pricy.
    Pay It Forward.

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    A good old Black & Decker Nimh drill still gets it done for me. I've had it for around twelve years and I remodeled four houses and am on my fifth. Just can't kill it. I suppose when it finally does die, I'll spring for a Makita Lithium combo. My bro-in-law got a set and it's sweet. Powerful, light. And it lasts a long time. And as for hand tools, I'll only utter this once. "Integy for the win!"
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

RC Qualifier
    I use a set of iWork 53 peice tools. Those are epic. You can't go wrong with Snap-On, though.
    And there he goes with the carbon...

RC Champion
    I started with the Dynamite "little black book type" with handle and double sided shaft's. It was good for the first tear down of my slash, and after that not good at all. The handle started to fall apart. Would not except bit's one time then the next it was just letting them slide out. Needless to say, off they went. Then I found a good deal on a set of RD-Logic aluminium handled hex wrench's. I use them every day, be it for RC or working on the hunny-do list. The work great wrenching on my Rall, slash 4x and HB D8t truggy. They are a bit pricey but look around I found a set for cheap.
    *Proud Husband of United state's Air Force wife.*

Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    Ive used about 10 different "multi took sets". The onest that come in a little case with double ended bits. all from different companies and they were all junk IMO. As crazy as it sounds, the best tool set for the money IMO is the Integy ultimate 29 or 31 piece. About $150 and you get nearly every size of metric and standard hexs, nut drivers, flat blade, 2 phillips, a body reamer, lexan scissors, pliers and a pile of other stuff I never use. Ive been using the same tool set for 2 years now and have only ever rounded off the green handle tip (most common on every RC so its tightened and loosened THOUSANDS of screws). But, for $5 I went on ebay and bought a new tip, replaced it and havent stripped a 2nd one since.

The ONLY product I think integy makes that worth the cardboard box its shipped in is their tools. Best investment Id made in RC other than my charger.

I NEVER use a drill for anything but drilling. Most RC's have screws that thread into plastic. One pull too hard on a drill and youll strip the threads. For the extra time it takes, I just do it all by hand so I know nothign is getting damaged.

For drilling holes, I just a Makita 10.8 volts LIon drill. The little on that comes in a 2 piece set with a little impact gun as well. Cost me $100 and its just awesome for everything around the house. Came with both tools, the charger, 2 batteries and an aluminum case. Pretty sure other companies make similar setups. The size of them just makes them super handy for all kinds of jobs.
    +1 to all of this. I've had my Integy allen driver set for at least 4 years now and only had one failure. It was the 1.5mm I believe. The one that works on Traxxas pinion set screws. Broke a tip off inside the set screw years ago. Replaced the tip for a few bucks and haven't had an issue since.

The best drivers hands-down are from M.I.P./Thorpe. I've used everything from Integy, Dynamite, Losi, Snap-On, Bondhus, Hudy, and many more. All are good sets and way, way better than those L-wrenches, but the M.I.P./Thorpe drivers are just better than any of them. Tightest tolerances and strongest materials. You can feel the difference with several of the smaller sizes when you insert the Integy wrench versus the M.I.P. into a screw head. Both will work fine, but when a screw is seized or has a little wear on the head, the Integy wrench may slip or break where as the M.I.P. will do the job every time. Obviously the M.I.P. drivers cost a bit more than Integy, so I purchase single wrenches whenever I have an issue with a screw. I've only purchased 3 of them over the past 4+ years, so the Integy set will do fine for 99% of your applications.