RC poster

EZ Starter spinning in reverse

Hi, I have had a look around this forum for answers to my problem but have not had any luck.... to cut a long story short I am totally new to nitro, I have an electric Rustler and I am now a confused owner of a "nitro" rustler.... it has the EZ start system and when I first attempted to start my rustler I noticed that the starter was spinning but not the engine...... so I searched for answers and many ppl seem to place the blame for this problem on the one way bearing.... take it out, check it over, clean it, clean shaft and re install..... I did this but still no fix, the manual says the bearing should turn the shaft and motor clockwise and spin freely anti clockwise, in my case the EZ start was just spinning anti clockwise? So I switched the connectors on the electric EZ start motor on the car and it now spins clockwise and turns the motor over... when I use the wand I am attaching it with the lights facing up, so after screwing around with just trying to get the engine to crank over for a few hours I was left very confused.... at least the engine is cranking now, my next problem is with the glo plugs? what is the go with these crazy little plugs? I have like burnt out 4 already and the car is yet to start? when I went to test to see if the plugs were lighting up by cranking over the ez start with the glo plug out touching the engine cooling fins, all the plugs started to glo for a split second then appear to burn out immediately? almost as if they were getting too much power into them? I really don't understand whats happening - I bought 2 brand new plugs (os 8's mediums) and they did the same thing? and my final problem is that I can not see the fuel moving at all in the fuel line? I have read the manual and followed instructions about this but still no joy? any help would be greatly appreciated - this Nitro car makes my electric cars look sooo easy!
    Last edited by Double G; 01-21-2013 at 12:50 PM. Reason: language

RC poster
    Hey Venturi. New owner of a nitro rustler myself.

First thing i found is nitro's are always hard to start the first time round so be persistant, i actually had to lean out the low-speed needle due to higher altitude and air temp before it would start.

Second thing is i doubt you could've burnt out 4 glow plugs without even starting the engine. Start by checking the ez-start is fully charged (if you have a multimeter handy check the voltage of the battery it should be 8.4V max) then take out the glow plug but leave it plugged in to the ez-start wire, run the ez-start for a while and the glow plug should glow orange and hot, if it doesn't then swap out the glow plugs till you find one that glows constantly.

Thirdly to get the fuel moving block the exhaust pipe with your finger and crank the engine over till you see fuel getting to the engine.

Once you have your starting system and fuel sorted try starting via the manual, the engine should get warm if it's burning fuel and playing with the mixture may help get it started.

Good Luck and keep me posted

Did you buy it new or used? What engine do you have? With the 2.5 and 3.3 engines, the writing on the one-way bearing (OWB) should face the engine and there should be a small washer between it and the backplate. Coming from electrics you should know what red and black mean so make sure that they are correctly installed on the starter motor. With both of those correct the engine should turn over; looking at it from the front it should spin counter-clockwise (anti-clockwise to those outside the US).
    As for the glow plug, make sure that the yellow wire is secure to one of the hold-down screws to the block. Then connect the blue wire to the top of the plug and hold it to a non-anodized part of the engine; it should glow. If not, take a multi-meter and verify that the corresponding plug wires is getting 1.5-1.8v and the corresponding starter motor should be getting the full battery charge voltage.
    Plugging the exhaust stinger will cause the exhaust pressure to move fuel from the tank. If it doesn't go then there is not enough pressure, the tank has an air leak or the carb is blocked. Or you could--carefully--remove the pressure line from the pipe and gently blow into it causing the fuel to move to the carb; stop when the fuel gets to the carb so that you don't flood the engine.
    IMHO, nitros separates the men from the boys. It is mindless and easy to plug a battery in and go. And before anyone jumps on me for saying that, I have both.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    Thanks for the reply's guys, I have 2nd hand Rustler which appears to have been well looked after, its clean and all in one piece, even the shell is remarkable clean..... the engine area is also nice and clean, previous owner stated that he had not started it for a few months. The engine turns over when I turn it over manually so it's not seized, it appears to have decent compression for a motor of its size, i can feel resistance - its a 2.5, I have motocross bikes so I know a bit about 2 stroke engines - but this glo plug is all new to me - I purchased an ignitor to test the glo plugs and they are all burnt out! none of them glo at all? some did briefly when I initially went to test them out with the ez starter, but appeared to glo brightly for a few seconds then just go out as if they burnt out? I also noticed that there is no washer near the one way bearing..... I am thinking to get a pull starter, new owb with washer and some new plugs!

RC poster
    Might be worth heading in to your local hobby shop and getting someone to have a look at it. If the glow plugs are burning out it could be a faulty ez-starter. From my experience i'd stay with the ez-start system if you can, it is far easier than using a pull start and portable glow system. Also you should get a multimeter if you don't already have one, they are great for diagnosing any electrical problems you may be having.

RC Champion
    I find the easiest way to start for the first run of the day is use a glow ignitor. Then after that u can hook the blue wire back up. I find if use the blue wire for the first start of the day the starter motor does not get enough juice

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Crock View Post
    I find the easiest way to start for the first run of the day is use a glow ignitor. Then after that u can hook the blue wire back up. I find if use the blue wire for the first start of the day the starter motor does not get enough juice
    Wish i did that first time i started mine. Drained the ez-start twice before it started

RC poster
    well as much as I hate to admit defeat I have handed the Rustler over to a reputable hobby shop repairer who ensures me he'll have it running better than an F1 Ferrari in no time........... we'll see about that.... I'll report back with results from the guru,
    for now the ever reliable & hassle free all electric rustler will keep us entertained! but I can't wait to hear the Nitro scream to life!

RC poster
    the problem was carbie related - all fixed now and car runs sweet

RC Champion
    Good to hear. glad you at least got it fixed and we will all know for future referrence. have fun they are a blast!!