RC poster

2238 TQ Link forgets binding - flashing red/green transmitter light

I have a mostly stock brushless E-Revo that's been pretty reliable up until this point. After a mild bashing session, I put it away in (still) good working order and didn't touch it for about a month. I tried to take it out today and the dang radio wouldn't link up. I have a red flashing light on the transmitter, which, according the manual, means it's in binding mode. It could also possibly indicate a low battery, but fresh batteries don't resolve it, and it's probably not fast enough to indicate a link failure/error. (But really, how many mere mortals can reliably distinguish the difference in duration between 1/2 second, 1/4 second, and 1/8 second flashes? Not exactly the best indicator system, but I digress.) Regardless, the rate of flashing is the same as when I manually enter binding mode by holding the set button while turning on the transmitter.

I can't imagine any good reason for why I'd need to re-bind my radio, but I tried it, and lo and behold, it works! ...temporarily. If I turn the receiver off and back on again, it'll continue to work, but if I turn off the transmitter, it'll forget the binding and I'll have to re-bind again. Right, so, maybe new batteries in the transmitter will help? I tried that, and the answer is no. ...but here's the interesting part: When I set the transmitter to bind, the red light flashes slowly. When I turn on the receiver in binding mode, the transmitter light turns green for about a second, and then begins to alternate between red and green. (Approximately 1/2 second red, then 1/2 second green, etc..) At that point, everything is bound and will work normally with the light doing this indefinitely until I finally turn off the transmitter.

Somebody forgot to put the red/green transmitter LED code in the manual.

My internet search turned up one suggestion: The steering servo(s) might be faulty. Why this should affect the radio binding is beyond me. I tried unplugging BOTH servos and re-binding. Then just one servo, and re-bind. Then the other servo, and re-bind. Still no luck. I mean, it works fine after re-binding, but forgets the binding every time I turn off the transmitter. Unplugging the servos also has no affect on the alternating flashing light. Does "no servos" equate to "bad servos" as far as the alternating light is concerned, or does it indicate any number of other problems? ...or does it just mean it's lost its marbles?

One other buggy characteristic: Even though the red flashing light indicates that the transmitter is in binding mode, it won't bind unless I hold the set button when I turn it on. It flashes the exact same way, regardless. There ought to be a failure indicator light to indicate that the other indicator light has failed to indicate a failure...

So, that's my story. Anybody heard one like it before? How did it end? Did the protagonist shell out $$$ at the LHS? Did a Traxxas rep have the cure under his magic hat? Did a competing product oust the antagonist and save the day? I've been pretty impressed by the plastic stuff made by Traxxas, but this isn't the first time their electronics have disappointed me. Am I overlooking something, or did my radio meet an untimely demise? I swear I wasn't bashing the transmitter.

RC Champion
    Holy stream of consciousness, Batman!

Dude, are you a freelance writer like me?!

If you call 1-888-TRAXXAS, I'm sure you'll get an answer to you thoroughly thought-out problem...
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by zippogeek View Post
    ...are you a freelance writer...?
    Naw, I just find the composition of such tomes to be therapeutic in times of frustration.

Anyway, my findings:
    According to the Traxxas phone tech, I broke it in a particularly unusual way. Apparently it's not entirely unheard of to uncover this special feature, but activating the red/green alternating light takes "special" skills, which, *ahem*, I have.

My supposition that maybe it just lost its marbles was basically correct. The following endpoint reset procedure (and a reset to factory defaults) fixed it. I didn't even have to rebind, though I did need to set my throttle endpoints. The tech's first suggestion was low batteries, so it was good that I'd already eliminated that.

Here's the gist of it, partially plagiarized from somebody who remembered what the tech said:

0.) Turn transmitter off.
    1.) Hold menu and set simultaneously.
    2.) Turn transmitter on.
    3.) Release menu and set. (Red light begins flashing slowly.)
    4.) Hold menu and set until light flashes green.
    5.) Release menu and set. (Green light continues to flash green.)
    6.) While holding steering full left, momentarily press set. (Green flashes a bit faster.)
    7.) While holding steering full right, momentarily press set. (Light changes to red flashing.)
    8.) While holding full forward throttle, momentarily press set. (Red flashes a bit faster.)
    9.) While holding full brakes/reverse, momentarily press set. (Light changes to solid green.)
    ...and now perform a reset to factory defaults for your particular model, (which in my case was repeating steps 0 though 3 followed by a quick press of the set button.)

I'm not sure why Traxxas neglects to publish this procedure, but the tech said it's quite rare to need to do this.

While I'm still underwhelmed with their electronics, I think their tech support is excellent. I guess I'll have to break something more substantial next time...

RC Champion
    Glad to hear it! Now get out there and roost!
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC poster
    i got a new reciever for my tq 2.4ghz radio and i tried the binding process and it wont work.