RC Enthusiast

Help with Traxxas EZ-peak charger!

So I just got my first set of 3s 30C 5000mah Lipo's. My question is around the storage charging and discharging on the EZ-peak. When I balance charge at 1C (5 amps) all is good in the world charger finishes the cycle in usually less than an hour. So now that I have successfully destroyed the truck after a day of bashing and need to do repairs before we go again, I need to store the batteries. So I throw the battery on the charger, select Lipo Storage, select 2amp (highest it will let me go), 11.1 3s, hit start and the pack reaches the 120 min timeout before it finishes. So I hit start again, 120 min later it is still charging. So now I'm asking for help. Everybody I have ever talked to says you have to be very "particular" about Lipo charging, storage, and discharging. So before I go an ruin a brand new set of lipos I figured somebody up here would have delt with this before.

Thanks for the help!

RC Champion
    What are the volts in each cell now ? your storage volt should be 3.85v per cell this is what traxxas support told me no lower than 3.7v per cell . I use a auto 1157 build to discharge battery with a mind with a LVB .
    1 Rusty VXL

RC Champion
    If it's storage charging at only 2 amps, it will definitely take a lot longer than 1C charging.

I have a storage-specific charge mode on my Hitec charger. I'm not exactly sure how the program works, but it always takes a lot longer than 1C charging.
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Another good feature of higher end chargers... I can storage charge with up to 20amps dumping into a battery.

What is the voltage of the cells? That will tell you if the charger is doing anything or not.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Enthusiast
    I will have to look into the voltage on the cells thing. I know the charger said the overall end voltage was supposed to be 11.4V. The first cycle took it to 11.4 volts and somewhere under 1000mah delivered. at least that is how i understood it. But when I balance charge at 1C, the charger reaches the recommended 12.6v and beeps to tell me charge full. So my question then will be do I turn off the 120 min saftey timer so that the charger can run longer while on storage charging? I will let you know about the individual cell voltage next time I try it.

RC Qualifier
    you have to change the timeout setting.when i storaged charged my 3s 5000 mah batteries it took about 3 hours per battery