RC Enthusiast

NiMH battery won't fully charge

I've got a Traxxas 3000mah NiMH battery and my charger stops charging it around 2200mah. Is this normal, or is the battery bad? Probably a really newb question, but I looked around and couldn't find any info.

Thanks.

I had a cell go bad on my stock Summit battery after 12 runs. It had the same problem you had, it wouldn't fully charge. I called Traxxas, and they sent me a new one! When it's right of the charger, is there one cell that is hotter than the rest? If so, then you have a bad cell. Sorry.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh 1/18 Rally/Teton T-Maxx

RC Champion
    I had the same thing happen to me with my slash when I used to use nimh batteries and didn't think much of it and kept using them. Later after running them a couple times I ended up with two melted batteries. The plastic wrap and each individual cell was melted and split open and they say lipos are the scary batteries

RC Enthusiast
    Just charged it again...it only went to 1700mah. I guess it's time to upgrade to a 2S Lipo!

RC Champion
    Yeah that's what I did. It's totally worth it. They have a ton of power and don't have to worry about it getting hot and whatever. Lipo is just way better. Have fun

RC Champion
    Don't forget if you are not running your pack down all the way you will not get a full mah charge. It will only replace what is missing.

When nimh packs get old they don't hold as much of a charge as they used to. Try checking the temps of each cell after running and after charging maybe you can find a bad cell. Otherwise it is most likely the age of the pack starting to show.

Sent from my Torch!
    Donít handicap children by making life easy