Hybrid View

RC Enthusiast

Traxxas Lipo batteries and Low Voltage

I charged the Traxxas 11.1v 5000mah batteries with the Traxxas 2-cell/3-cell Lipo Balance Charger Friday night and I drove the truck 20-30 minutes Saturday and Today and they still haven't shut down. How long will these batteries go before the Low Voltage Detector shuts the truck off? The 3098 Mamba comes programmed to shut down automatically correct?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yes it does but it is pretty low. I would raise it up to 3.4 or 3.5
    Do you have a voltmeter? Just check the voltage

agree with 50togo on this one. check your lipos under load they make drop too low and your truck might not be in lipo mode? i would check the manual and make sure the esc is in the correct mode ok. also may need to get a castle link or field card for it to make it easier to program and change the setting on the LVC/LVD( low voltage cutoff/ low voltage detection). you have to follow beeps, lights and all when trying it manually better with a card or link to it so you make sure you set it correctly.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Enthusiast
    Do I have to run the batteries all the way to the low voltage shut off? What happens if I would just put them on the charger in the morning from the point they are at? Would I ruin them?

you wouldnt ruin them its just that you dont know what voltage they are at right now. Its always a good idea to know what they are at if your charger doesnt have a digital screen on it which your does not have. A voltage meter only cost under $10 most places just something to check voltage with. you dont want it under 3.2v per cell so for your 3s lipos it would be 9.6v total for the pack now that is to me the bare minimum you want your pack to get. fully charged is going to be 12.6v total pack each 4.20v per cell. you want your packs to be put into storage charge mode as well if you dont plan to use them within 2 days but never leave them at LVC level though ok. storage charge is 3.85v per cell or 11.55v total pack

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    A voltmeter is a good idea. After my ride today my batteries just happened to be at storage charge voltage!

RC Champion
    i nomally time mine when i finished the are roughly storage voltage maybe a little less you don't want to be hitting the cut off all the time if it's set low.
    Problems.The manual's good starting point. Simple

RC Enthusiast
    Traxxas told me that I can fully charge them and not touch them for up too 2 weeks on the shelf. As long as I dont leave them in the truck or plugged into the truck, they will be fine for up too 2 weeks fully charged. After 2 weeks I need to discharge and recharge again or storage mode. I ordered the Traxxas blue EZ charger, should be in this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Traxxed-3906 View Post
    Traxxas told me that I can fully charge them and not touch them for up too 2 weeks on the shelf. As long as I dont leave them in the truck or plugged into the truck, they will be fine for up too 2 weeks fully charged. After 2 weeks I need to discharge and recharge again or storage mode. I ordered the Traxxas blue EZ charger, should be in this week.
    And yet here are the instructions from Traxxas Battery Basics:
    Storing Your Batteries
    Nickel batteries should be fully discharged before charging, and should be stored fully discharged (just use the battery in your R/C vehicle until the battery can no longer move it). LiPo batteries should be stored at 50% capacity. Store LiPo batteries in a charging bag or case. Do NOT store LiPo batteries discharged, as this will reduce battery performance and may lead to over-discharging if the packs are stored discharged for an extended length of time. The Traxxas EZ-Peak Plus makes it easy to store LiPos properly; just recharge the pack using Storage mode and it will charge the pack to 50% capacity.
    Now why do you suppose they put that in there if it wasn't the correct way to store them, rather than fully charged?
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Probably not the best idea at all. Best advice is do a storage charge if not going to use within 2 days or even 1 day is better

Agreed because fully charged lipos will swell up and be ruined. Not sure why they would say that wrong advice given look at almost every company that makes and sells them you'll see they say storage charge them

RC Enthusiast
    Traxxas Blue EZ Charger landed today.

that charger should have a storage charge function on it i would use it!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Traxxed-3906 View Post
    Traxxas Blue EZ Charger landed today.
    Just to make sure, You got the "EZ Peak Plus" charger right? Not the regular EZ Peak charger?

They are both blue.
    T-Maxx 3.3/E-Maxx/30th Digger/1:10 Summit/Rustler

Quote Originally Posted by Maxxed out Throttle View Post
    Just to make sure, You got the "EZ Peak Plus" charger right? Not the regular EZ Peak charger?

They are both blue.
    good catch on that one forgot about that when mentioned getting the ez peak