RC Enthusiast

Running without Center Drive shaft cover?

I took the clear center drive shaft cover off today to adjust the slipper and now i am wondering if its ok to just keep it off, it would be much easyer to clean out anything that gets in there and I am running an outwear cover also.

Thoughts?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    is'nt what the cover is there for....to keep the debris out? any small rocks get in and your shaft are all scratched up. just my .02 cent.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |

RC Qualifier
    I run my p4de with the clear cover removed. I do it this way because the rear hold down tab for the screw broke. This was allowing the cover to rub on the center shaft. I have bought another clear cover but have not installed it as of yet. My thinking is, I would rather not have a rock grinding between the cover and shaft. I haven't had any problems running without the cover, but I also don't run on a lot of gravel. Good luck with yours.

Sent from Oser world

RC Qualifier
    I run my p4de with the clear cover removed. I do it this way because the rear hold down tab for the screw broke. This was allowing the cover to rub on the center shaft. I have bought another clear cover but have not installed it as of yet. My thinking is, I would rather not have a rock grinding between the cover and shaft. I haven't had any problems running without the cover, but I also don't run on a lot of gravel. Good luck with yours.

Sent from Oser world

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by humayrayakongkinaon View Post
    is'nt what the cover is there for....to keep the debris out? any small rocks get in and your shaft are all scratched up. just my .02 cent.
    It is and it works well except the hug hole they left uncoverd where the drive shaft enteries the chssie from the front..... dirty and crap gets in through there and then you have to remove the cover to clean it out and the rocks also grind against the cover and shaft like dirty said.

RC Qualifier
    No problems running without a cover.

RC Qualifier
    I have run for over a year without one. No issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    I purchased my Stampede used and it did not have a cover. On several occasions I had a small pebble get wedged between the slipper adjustment nut and sidewall of the recess the driveshaft sits in. Because of this the slipper completely loosened. After a few times of this happening I purchased the cover and haven't had any issues since.

RC Champion
    It's better to close the hole in front and run in with the cover. you can use a piece of foam and stick it in the tube:

I also used Plastidip to close the small gaps around the cover:

Works perfekt. No maintenance, no dirt at all in the tube, no binding

RC Enthusiast
    Sound where did you get that foam from, i have been looking for a good way to seal the front opening but nothing good until now. I like the foam idea, do you every have issue's caused by the drive shaft rubbing against the foam?

RC Champion
    Nope it runs very smooth. Foam was from a package. It is not sticky so works fine.