RC Enthusiast

full throttle into concrete wall

Yesterday we took our trucks bashing at the local school.
    After re-fueling and starting Jesse's truck it was not receiving any control inputs, so I flipped the on-off switch on the trucks battery box which cured the problem.
    About thirty minutes later, while on full throttle down a straight-away the truck lost control inputs again and continued full throttle head on into a concrete wall.
    Anyone had that happen before? (Conditions were totally dry, no wet lawns etc.)
    While we have about a half dozen broken parts to replace, I'm amazed at how well the truck came out of it.
    If it weren't for the air filter housing having broken I would have fired it back up and run it some more!
    Anyhow, couple questions.
    Rear passenger side lower A-arm. In the parts exploded view (no pun intended) I think it's the "right rear" but not sure of the orientation. Is that correct?
    Also, there is a piece I'm having trouble identifying. It could either be considered a frame brace or a shield...not sure.
    It is what appears to be a brace that is located directly behind where the tie-rods are connected together and could protect that linkage from damage.
    I located a part number of "5323" which sounds like it might be the correct part, but I can't locate the picture of it in the exploded view. Any Ideas?
    I'm sure I'll have a few more questions when I get around to setting up the gear/lash with the new gear #3953, which got chewed up a bit while rubbing against the carb. intake as well as mashing into the gear on the engine flywheel
    Clear as mud?
    Thanks in advance for any help!
    Dave

RC Enthusiast
    One more thing...where can I buy a bag o' bolts (screws)?
    Would be nice to have a selection of extras laying around, as I'm sure I'll end up needing them.
    Not terribly interested in searching/ordering by part number if I don't have to.

check out some of the ebay chop shops for screws, most of them will sell a collection of most/all the screws from the trucks they tear down to sell off parts individually. Alternately you can look for Tony's screw sets or Rcscrewz (bit cheaper a lot less quality)
    (RAH) (AH) + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA) + (OOH)(LA)

In the exploded view the right side of the page is the rear of the truck. (FYI, click on the part numbers and it will take you to that part at www.buytraxxas.com . 5323 is shown next to the left shock and is a bulkhead tie bar. The orientation of the rear a-arms are that the pushrods connect on the rear side.
    The Super Derecho

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks again guys! The help is much appreciated.
    I managed to identify the part I was looking for, it's "5343x". It's the steering stop.
    Now I can't seem to find it on the parts ordering page.
    I did a search by part # and it doesn't show up there either.

The next question: sway bars. which kit number am I looking for? Can't seem to find one specified for "slayer pro".
    Thinking about putting stiffer springs on as well. Any advice on that one?

RC poster
    I have also noticed how tough these trucks are, I had a near miss with a parked car in front of my house and caused the truck to hit my mailbox post at about half throttle, I figured something would be broken, but nothing!

Revo 3.3 way Bar kit will work for you. Or the Tekno kit if you are looking at other options.

RC Enthusiast
    Cameron, still trying to find my way around. As I'm starting to look around this site I'm seeing other names pop up such as tekno, rpm, etc.
    Is one better than the other? We're not racing so we're not looking to save weight, just want tough/good performing parts.
    Being new to this we crash hard A LOT!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtrich View Post
    Thanks again guys! The help is much appreciated.
    I managed to identify the part I was looking for, it's "5343x". It's the steering stop.
    Now I can't seem to find it on the parts ordering page.
    I did a search by part # and it doesn't show up there either.

The next question: sway bars. which kit number am I looking for? Can't seem to find one specified for "slayer pro".
    Thinking about putting stiffer springs on as well. Any advice on that one?
    the part# for the slayerpro is TRA5998 rcplanet has stock

RC Enthusiast
    Awesome.
    I just went out to look over the truck and make sure I found all the broken parts I need to order (since it takes three or four days for shipping) and I discovered the bottom of the skid plate is covered in oil!
    I can't see any cracks in diff. or trans, and can't tell where the heck it came from.
    Maybe I just need more coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtrich View Post
    Cameron, still trying to find my way around. As I'm starting to look around this site I'm seeing other names pop up such as tekno, rpm, etc.
    Is one better than the other? We're not racing so we're not looking to save weight, just want tough/good performing parts.
    Being new to this we crash hard A LOT!
    They both accomplish the same thing. The Tekno is an easier install as it is just a bolt on.
    In my opinion the Slayer should have sway bars installed from factory, they are a MUST have addition to the truck.

RC Qualifier
    Maybe the oil is from a shock? Busted front dif? Have any pictures?

And only time I have had anything like that happen was when I had some bad RX batterier. Was in a pinch out running and dollar general was the closet store. It was like a 20 pack or 30 pack for 5 bucks. But with those batteries they were done after like 4-5 tanks....
    Last edited by BomberSTi; 01-21-2013 at 01:46 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Batteries were new/high quality. I'll clean/inspect the battery connections and on/off switch. Definitely want to remedy that problem! Jesse was standing over the car the first time it lost signal, and only about 30 ft. away the second time. I was reading through the manual this morning and I understood it to say that the truck has a fail-safe mode which cuts the throttle if it loses signal. That sure didn't happen.
    Just tore the truck down further to try to identify the source of oil. At this point I think it's just a combo. of exhaust spooge and lots of w-d 40. There is a large accumulation of oil/dirt on the face of the spur gear on the trans. (which might point to a seal blowing out) but I can't find any literature that indicates there's supposed to be any oil in the trans., only the differentials. Is that correct?

The trans can be dry lubed, no need for fluid lube in there.
    Diffs in stock form will usually seep a bit, makes a mess, but its usually harmless.
    (just a dust magnet)

RC Enthusiast
    Well, turns out the "no control" issue was batteries after all
    Running my truck at home today and was intermittently losing signal to the truck. Swapped out batteries (in the truck) and problem solved. Evidently running the servos for 6-8 hours pretty much drains them. Boy am I embarrassed!
    Got all the new parts ordered, plus another truck (for my other son...he decided they were pretty cool).
    Thanks for all the advice. And I'll work on figuring out how to post photos!

Should pick up an external failsafe, wont have run away trucks

External failsafes will not work with the Traxxas 2.4 radios. I've tried with no success and sold it.
    The Super Derecho

RC Champion
    It really stonks you didn't get pictures of the carnage.
    "I like rc cars"....."WHAT? YOU'RE KIDDING!"

Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    External failsafes will not work with the Traxxas 2.4 radios. I've tried with no success and sold it.
    oh weak! i did not know that.

RC Qualifier
    Glad I never did buy the external fail safe when my lhs tried selling me one. I just recently Picks up a spektrum DX3S, Built in failsafe. Also came with all the telemetry sensors..But Run away truck accident like yours is also what pushed me into getting that TX/RX set-up..I got lucky when mine ran away, was coming straight for me with a car parked right behind me. Some how I has able to glance the truck with my foot and all that happened was I ripped off a axle carrier but was a quick 5 min fix. And some how managed no injuries...

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by upbasher View Post
    It really stonks you didn't get pictures of the carnage.
    I didn't have a camera on hand (or my cell phone).
    Funny thing is, there wasn't really any visible carnage to speak of. Looking at the truck, the only thing that looked different is the front bumper had snapped off. Couldn't really see broken parts until you really started looking hard. Even then, the only things broken were plastic!
    Here's a list of what I have to replace:
    5330: Front bulkhead
    5343x: steering stops
    5935:bumpers/skidplates
    5314:body mounts-front
    5933x: rear pass. side lower A-arm (I suspect this got damaged prior to slamming into the wall, just didn't notice it)
    3953: spur gear (chewed up)
    5266: air filter housing (supports that hold the air filter in place to the housing snapped, spur gear went into the intake hose and put a hole in it, also chewed through the top of the plastic intake horn on the carb.)
    Again, gotta say I'm really impressed with the overall durability of these trucks. Of course, once I bolt it all back together and run it I wouldn't be entirely surprised if I found something in the drivetrain "not quite right"!

RC Competitor
    I did the something similar when a rock jumped in front of my truck. It was slow motion too, just as I noticed where it was heading I could not stop it. It was painful. I really expected more damage for the speed I was going. It happened over 2 months ago and I just now got all the parts (with a small delay due to a vacation), I replaced all the parts a couple of days a go and still looking at making adjustments to the alignment before I go and tear it up again. LOL
    Summit
    Slayer Pro 4X4