RC Racer

Roll cage pro / con

Today I ran my stampede with brand new PL body cracked the rear body in first 2 mins, It wasnt even a hard jump, crash just a flip over. Anyway would a roll cage work better; with a shell covering the internals? Or should I shoe goo / dry wall tape it?

thanks

Andrew
    Stampede 4x4 vxl w/ MMP/2400kv, Mini E-Revo

RC Qualifier
    Shoe goo, Drywall tape and a slash rear bumper are your best bet.
    O.S.21 Nitro Revo, Stampede 4x4, 2 Axial Honcho's

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by AZAD View Post
    Today I ran my stampede with brand new PL body cracked the rear body in first 2 mins, It wasnt even a hard jump, crash just a flip over. Anyway would a roll cage work better; with a shell covering the internals? Or should I shoe goo / dry wall tape it?

thanks

Andrew
    Yes. Roll bars are heavy. What I did was get a 1/2" wide strip of aluminum bar and bend it to fit the side profile of the truck. I then screwed this into the top of the front and rear shock towers. This does several things.
    1. Roll bar that limits how much you compress your lid when you land on it.
    2. Chassis stiffener - for when you hit a telphone pole at 30+ mph like I did Sunday.
    3. Quick grab handle to spin the truck around when you're working on it.
    4. Tranport handle as long as the body is off.
    5. Costs maybe $4 and much lighter than a roll cage (which would also slow you down on mainteance).

RC Racer
    that sounds like a great plan, where did you screw in the towers? Im assuming your running without the body on as well?

thanks
    Andrew

RC Qualifier
    The Stock shell is quite thin lexan and does not stand up to much abuse. When you get a new shell it will be thicker and more durable. You are still advised to reinforce it with glue in tape etc though. Also some of the little foam mounts that sit on the body posts and strong body clips help secure mine. The less play in this area the less cracking.

RC Qualifier

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by AZAD View Post
    that sounds like a great plan, where did you screw in the towers? Im assuming your running without the body on as well?

thanks
    Andrew
    I drilled a small pilot hole into the top of both shock towers. I then installed the roll bar with a single wood screw into each end. I never run without a body unless I'm just checking out a repair to make sure it worked. I designed the bar so that it clears underneath my 4 bodies (I have a 4pede and a 2pede). I run the old beat up stock body when I'm racing the dog every day, I have a PL Raptor body that I use a little less regularly, a brand new stock body that came with the used 2 pede I bought, and a not even painted 1950 Chevy P/U body waiting to be put in service when the weather gets warmer for painting and I have time to do it..

I have 2 rollcages so far on my 2wd slash and Pede, and I'm planning to add one to my Sl4sh when I get the funds. They are a little heavier than a lid but they don't parachute on speed runs. When they get scratched up I take it off and hit it with a little black paint.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Racer
    thanks guys!

Andrew

RC Qualifier
    I have a cage for my p4de and i LOVE IT! I have a brand new proline body that i still havent used because the roll cage is so much better. Only downside is you have to take the cage off whenever you want to do any real work on it..but its just 4 screws....i love not having to worry about body pins and having to take the body off ever ytime to change the battery or turn it on or off. Plus more airflow = cooler motor and esc =]