RC Qualifier

TBone Skids Question

For those of you who are running the TBone skids, does the rear A Arm connector disk rub against your axle? I was putting them on and noticed that mine rub a little bit.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

To tell you the truth I never noticed.
    Going for a run today with 5 or 6 other summits ill have a look at mine.it is possible. my axles are due for replacement so they are fairly beat up,but it would be obvious if its happening.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Well, let me know cause if they do I am going to sand mine down a little bit so they don't rub.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

I haven't noticed them rubbing... no marks on either anyways.
    (RAH) (AH) + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA) + (OOH)(LA)

RC Qualifier

Mine also rubbed at full travel. I shaved a little off to remedy the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect

RC Qualifier
    OK. I will check mine out to see if I need to shave some off or not.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Qualifier
    The ANGER that the rear a arm skids are giving me. First the glue doesn't hold that I put to keep the spacer on, then I can't even get the screw to hook onto it. It is making me sooo mad!!!
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Qualifier
    I just stripped the connector circle and spacer trying to screw in the screw for the rear a arm. Contacted the company so I could possibly get a replacement of the part.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

i had install issues as well. i ended up just removing the a-arms to install those darn things. worked out much easier on the bench.

RC poster
    I clamped it together, it was then easy to put the screw in.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Chandler View Post
    I just stripped the connector circle and spacer trying to screw in the screw for the rear a arm. Contacted the company so I could possibly get a replacement of the part.
    I had the same problem. I contacted them, told them my problem, asked for replacement discs and longer screws and they did just that. Needless to say, I was very happy with their customer service.
    Tekin powered Summit

RC Qualifier
    I emailed them a little while ago about it. The screws they sent with it worked on the other a arm, but I thing the other disk was just wrong. I might end up going to the LHS tomorrow and getting some longer screws if I don't have any that will work already.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Qualifier
    Those guys make awesome skids, just not awesome skid mounting hardware, lol.
    PM me for help converting your Summit to brushless

RC Qualifier
    I think they need to look to see where it rubs and how they can make it better then it already is.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

Looks like its just one end of the round disc? or does it rub on the whole thing?

I looked at mine and it will rub at the most extreme articulation, and on a closer look i do have a couple small rubs on the drive shaft. Nothing serious though.

RC Qualifier
    Same here. Just at the top where the drive shaft connects to the diff in the front, it kind of rubs at extreme articulation.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Qualifier
    Just wanted to post up my experience with the T-Bone skids.

I just bought these and put them on my Summit. Well...lets just say it was NOT EASY to get these mounted on the truck. The front skids went on the best, and that was only acheived once I figured out I needed to glue the spacers to the back of the skid in order to get them to stay long enough in order to mount them up. Once I got the hardware in the fit is still not great. At full articulation the front drive shafts rub on the backer to the skid. Not a huge deal since it seems to only happen at full articulation, but still something that shouldn't happen when you pay for a product that is supposed to be vehicle specific.

Where I really had the issue was on the rear skids. Not only does the delin washer that clasps the back for the skid to the A-arm rub quite well on the rear driveshaft, but on mine the stock hardware is way to short to grab enough thread to mount properly to the a-arm. I even took my a-arms off and after clamping the skid to the a-arm for maximum compaction, only got one side to bite. It held for a bit and then stripped off the few threads that it grabbed onto.

Then in a hope to save it I went down to the hobby store and got some M4x20 screws (M4x16 are included with the kit) and these were able to bite easy into the washer due to their slightly longer length. Only problem is then they stick out the back of the washer to far and hit right into the blue dust cover on the end of the driveshaft. Not good. So I then took out the dremmel and cut the screws down to size in order to miss the driveshaft. Well.....now they wont get enough bite on the thread again.

I then tried to shave down the washer so it wouldn't hit the driveshaft and no luck there. kept shaving Kept shaving and had to start shaving into the hardware mounting hole so had to stop. Well it was still hitting my driveshafts. Soo....long story short, I gave up on T-Bones mounting system for the rear skids.

I finally got them to mount up to the rear solidly instead by using plain old simple zip ties, two to be exact, in place of the T-Bone hardware and washer backer system. I just zipped the skid to the a-arm using the hole in the skid to wrap the two ties through. Believe it or not the skids are on there MORE then solid now. I was worried about their ability to hold through bashing and rock crawling till I crawled on rocks with them for almost 2 hours straight two days ago. The skids look like they have been through a war zone but they held great and protected the bottom of the truck awesome!! Using zip ties is not how I expected to attach a $20+ truck specific product to the bottom of my truck but they have been holding up awesome. On a second positive thing to the zip ties of course since there is now no washer or mounting hardware per se the is nothing rubbing on the rear end driveshafts.

Now I don't want like it to seem like I am doing nothing but bashing on T-Bones products. I absolutely love the functionality of the skids and how they look once they are mounted. I also bought the center skid plate from them for my Summit too and it has been nothing short of perfect. Hardware provided to mount up was perfect. Everything fits great. Protection is second to none.

But I am dissapointed with the lack of good mounting system provided with the a-arms. Yes I got them mounted up (using zip ties not the supplied mounting system) and once they are VERY effective and work well. I just wanted everyone to know that they may have some issues when mounting the a-arms skids and be ready to do a little work to make them attach, and attach in a way so they wont rub on existing moving parts.

RC Qualifier
    I am just going to take sand paper and sand down a little bit of the rear connector disk. I have the same problem.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Chandler View Post
    I am just going to take sand paper and sand down a little bit of the rear connector disk. I have the same problem.
    Hopefully that works for you. I tried that and for some reason mine still rubbed. Weird I know.

Hoping you had better luck then I did.

RC Qualifier
    Still waiting to try it to see if it works. To bad they don't test fit them to see if they rub.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

One question,as mine were a bit tricky
    But no where near the problems you are having.
    Are you putting them on new arms or used a arms?just curious if that plays a part or mfg is a little off.
    I put mine on without glue or removing the arm or material.stock screws.
    My rears arms are older and more worn so maybe a bit thinner and more flexable.Just a theory I have heard a bunch of people had to trim them a bit to fit right

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    My summit is 2 weeks old and I bought it new off of StormerHobbies.com so it has new a arms. Stock screw I used, didn't glue on any spacers, and I only stripped on connector disk and had to replace it.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jamann View Post
    One question,as mine were a bit tricky
    But no where near the problems you are having.
    Are you putting them on new arms or used a arms?just curious if that plays a part or mfg is a little off.
    I put mine on without glue or removing the arm or material.stock screws.
    My rears arms are older and more worn so maybe a bit thinner and more flexable.Just a theory I have heard a bunch of people had to trim them a bit to fit right

Sent using lipo power
    Could be a contributing factor....my truck is new as well. Only had about 5 runs on it when I attempted to install the skids.

Yeah there are slight differences in trucks as I am sure there is a bit of tolerance in all the parts here and there, but the rear T-Bone skids were so far off it wasn't funny. Like I said even with a dremmel I wasn't able to remove enough of the backing washers to miss my driveshafts. I had to start grinding away where the mounting hole was and that is not good. That is when I stopped and gave up on their design.

Like I said Im still relatively happy with the product. The zip ties have saved them. I needed skids as I am planning on doing a bunch of scaling and crawling with my Summit. they will get used a ton. I will check back in and report on how the zip tie fix is doing. So far so good.

The alarming thing is I m getting rubing on the front skid backing plate too from my driveshafts. It is slight, so I will just live with that.

Fit and finish and attachment is definately an issue with the T-Bone skids. Like I said the center skid has been perfect and I would highly recommend it!

RC Enthusiast
    Just put mine on... Front went on with no problems, took about 5 minutes. The rear, well they took a bit longer (10 minutes) - ended up flipping over the backer plate and the screw caught. It did strip a bit, however some blue locktite and a dab of Crazy Glue and it won't come out.

The front does touch at full articulation - takes about 1/2 inch out of the travel. However not to worried about the front as I do not think I have ever maxed out the suspension up there when actually driving. Back touches just like JAMANN's above, so will probably have some wear marks in the CVD's, as that suspension is used more.

All in all I like the product, however for the price you pay they could fit better and not limit the suspension travel.

RC Racer
    The screws for the rear skids were also to short for mine (Summit was pretty new). I contacted T-Bone and they sent me longer screws, which I had to file down because they were to long.lol
    Tekin powered Summit

RC Enthusiast
    my evx light does not come on, but truck is still running. is that a sign of something going wrong?

RC Qualifier
    Should be in the manual I would think. I can't remember off my head or not.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit