RC Competitor

i think its time to stop buying trucks.....wow what a fight.

So yeah...found a deal on a revo I could not pass up..brand new in box never opened. 300 bucks. The soon to be didn't see it that way. A 4 hour fight and 1 revo later were still together but almost ended last night lol. This ever happen to any of you?
    Tmaxx 3.3 jato rustler vxl stampede son ova digger

RC Champion
    Would it of been worth it to get the Revo but lose the soon to be wife? Rc's come and go, a true person to love come's once in a lifetime.

Yes, was on ebay and found a HotBodies D8t truggy with an RC monster E conversion and custom body for $350.00 shipped she was not happy to see it on my shelf later in the week, but I did pay for it with a LONG hunnydo list!
    *Proud Husband of United state's Air Force wife.*

RC Competitor
    Yeah ...they keep us in line don't they lol. The bad thing is I actually bought it for her.

RC Champion
    My wife is usually pretty cool about my purchases. She has her scrapbooking (barf!) and I have my planes and cars I spend a lot more than she does. At the end of the day, as long as I don't break the bank, it's all good. We've been married 17 years now.

My (free) advice:

1. Make sure you can afford what you buy.

2. Make sure she understands your hobby is important to you.

3. Spend enough quality time together. Chicks dig that.

4. Don't try to win the argument. Instead, validate her feelings. I know, I know...
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    My wife is cool with me buying these things as long as I dont keep them. If I find a deal i know I can make a few bucks on she's cool with me using money from the general fund. But it has to go back. She ISNT cool with me buying MORE keepers though. As long as she knows one was sold to make room for the other, or that i sold a bunch of stuff to pay for it, its fine. But if I just wholesale buy ANOTHER expensive truck, she has some choice words about it. Never "relationship ending" stuff... just "cold shoulder for a night or two" stuff.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    I'd give you some advice too, but it's going to cost you 5Ę. You should probably just follow what the others have said.
    Who needs nitro, when you got LiPo?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    Never "relationship ending" stuff... just "cold shoulder for a night or two" stuff.
    ...and isn't that what it's all about? Ahh, marriage...

One thing that is vital, is the girl im dating. Shes gotta know that is my thing.. But ya. My lady had always given me a bit of a hard time, at how much is spend, but.... My rebuttal At least im not spending it on booze, gambeling, or a gentlemens club lol
    Build, Bash, Clean, Repair, Repeat..

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    One night on the town, even if you behave yourself, can easily cost as much as a 1/16 brushless RTR. I dont go out, dont party, dont drink... no bad habits other than this one and the shooting variety...
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by thisbme3 View Post
    Yeah ...they keep us in line don't they lol. The bad thing is I actually bought it for her.
    One idea as well is to either get her in on your hobby or tell her to take up some sort of hobby. Then take some money and divide between the two of you for each month, that's just an example.

My wife is none too happy with my hobby, but as has been said we aren't struggling and it keeps me busy when I have to stay up nights to be ready for work. She is really understanding on that front. Plus when we have free time together we spend it that way, so my hobby isn't cutting into our time.

Sent from my Torch!
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

RC Racer
    My wife of 19 years is edit at how I'm in a constant repair situation and go to the hobby store almost daily, but later today she is stopping at the hobby store to pick up a new motor for my Summit, 2 wheels and tires for my E-Maxx, and a steering servo for my boys Smash. She knows that my 7 and 16 year old boys love it... so that is why she grumbles at a low level while money keeps flowing.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

*Watch the language*
    Last edited by Double G; 01-21-2013 at 12:53 PM.

RC Qualifier
    No fights, but I almost always take my 3 daughters out with me. They each have cars, losi mini8, merv, and a losi micro. Of course I have another 4 all nitro. It gives her a good 3+ hour block of alone time to get stuff done or do what ever she likes.
    --
    Nitro-J-Rod

RC Enthusiast
    My wife and I split the bills down the middle, she has her checking acct and I have mine. We have never had a fight about money. I give her my share of the bills and she doesn't care what I do with the rest, works great!

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
    Slash 4x4,E-maxx,2WK crawlers,Axial SCX10 and Cuda

RC Champion
    Once in a while, I'm afraid to come home with a big-ticket item (e.g., my $725 E-Maxx Brushless). So my LHS has a little thing called "the wife sticker." It's a bright-orange sale sticker that they change to half the actual price paid...a good bunch of guys at Field's Hobby in Buffalo!

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    ^^ LOL funny man!!!

I've been married 9-1/2 yrs. Been the best years of my life. We have fought very little over the years, can't say we have agree'd on everything. In the end learn what most of us have. Listen to them, don't say anything back, Yes Dear!, and say you were wrong. Which most of the time you probably were. It pays off in the end. Can't say i've practiced what I preached the whole time. Hey we are the best friends in the world now. Since having 2 kids, boy 4yr, & daughter 10mths. These have been the best days of my life. As deep as i'm in RC and 10 cars or so later. I'd sell it all for them.

I let her buy her things and I buy mine, in the end we are both happy. Every couple works in different ways about spending money. The first few years we both worked and both had seperate checking accounts. We went down and combined everything and here we are today happier than ever. Not sure why I didnt do it sooner. Who knows, young, dumb and scared. Everything grows and so does the trust. We made good money then, I make good money now, and she's a stay at home Mom with the kiddos. If money was tight, our spending would be different, but in the end we would still be the same and consider our purchases more before making them.

The guys above have given more help then me. Think we've all been there and done that and we each find somthing that works.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Quote Originally Posted by thisbme3 View Post
    So yeah...found a deal on a revo I could not pass up..brand new in box never opened. 300 bucks. The soon to be didn't see it that way. A 4 hour fight and 1 revo later were still together but almost ended last night lol. This ever happen to any of you?
    When you are married there's a lot less me and a heck of a lot more "We" when it comes to making financial decisions (Spending $300.00 on a hobby is a financial decision that you both make (remember there's 2 in this equation now)...

I will not spend anything of any real value without discussing it with my wife. In turn she does the same and we work WITH each other to maintain our family's financial decisions... We have to, we don't have money to burn...

Talk w/anyone who has a few years of marriage under their belt, communicating (not arguing) is very important and usually the #1 reason behind many failed relationships......

In turn my wife respects and encourages me to have something I enjoy to do for pleasure, she has supported my racing, helped me many times with going racing... In turn I go with her to the crafts shows she enjoys and support her with these things as well. It's 50/50... Heck my wife even used to make home made fudge to bribe the LHS with,,, that ended me with having a sponsor for my racing for 2 years... Can't complain there ...

Sorry to hear you had a blowout but making up can be a lot of fun too .... Best of luck to you both
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by zippogeek View Post
    My wife is usually pretty cool about my purchases. She has her scrapbooking (barf!) and I have my planes and cars I spend a lot more than she does. At the end of the day, as long as I don't break the bank, it's all good. We've been married 17 years now....
    We definitely need to spend some time together running RC and comparing notes.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by zippogeek View Post
    Once in a while, I'm afraid to come home with a big-ticket item (e.g., my $725 E-Maxx Brushless). So my LHS has a little thing called "the wife sticker." It's a bright-orange sale sticker that they change to half the actual price paid...a good bunch of guys at Field's Hobby in Buffalo!
    Who came up with that idea at Fields, Jason, Lou or Craig?

RC Champion
    I think it was Jason. I was freaking out about a plane purchase one day and he just pulled the pricing gun from its holster. "WIFE STICKER!"

RC Champion
    I'd be concerned. If she throws a hissy fit over a small $300 purchase that almost ends an engagement, imagine if you came home with a new 1:1 truck.

Now, if you all are strapped for cash and you bought the revo and were forced to eat ramen noodles for the next week or so, then ya, I can see her getting (edited this out because it triggered the language filter).

Please read your posts after you submit them, if you see asterisks edit them and do not try working around the language filter that just gets you in trouble
    NN
    Last edited by Nitronaught; 01-24-2013 at 12:12 PM.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC Racer
    Communication and compromise is key in a relationship, if you can afford it and your not breaking the bank I don't see a problem, now I always talk over big purchases before hand, in the beginning not so much, I bought my Checkmate Eluder boat without saying a thing, $12,500.00 and was that a fight, but in the end she realized that it was the boat I always wanted, not just one like it but the actual one, I had been trying to buy it for 10 years before it finally came up for sale, I could afford it and now she loves it and would never let me sell it, we are out on it every weekend in the summer.

I find with any of my hobbies and I got a lot of them as long as it ties the family in and I'm not just out wasting money on something that she's cool with it, we also have ATV's and my kids always come with me, it gives her a break from the kids to do the stuff she wants to do.

If I know there is a certain toy I want I will start talking about it and say something like I really want to get one of those ATV's, I'm gonna start saving and next summer I'm buying one, when next summer comes it's no big deal, just go pick it up.

We just got into R/C's and it's the same deal there, the kids each have one now and it's something that we can do together that get's them outdoors and away from the Ipads and video games, I wasn't planning on getting my daughters merv till spring but when I seen it on sale for a huge savings even my wife told me I better get it, the trick is to bring it up and then say oh I don't know maybe I shouldn't, then wait for her to say yeah we better get it because it's such a good deal, then she thinks it was her idea, haha, key is to get her involved in whatever you like to do, my wife loves the ATV's, boat and going to the lake, a family that plays together stays together.

Yup, been with her 11 years and we got a 6 year old girl and 4 year old boy, best years of my life by far.

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    It's all about give and take and compromising so that both can live with the decisions we make each day. Sometimes, it seems that the small things are what counts the most. An impromptu foot rub or flowers for no reason seem to be the path to staying happy at times. My wife and I kinda take turns with the big purchases and we go over all of our bills and statements every month so we know where things are at. No sneaking around or big surprise purchases. When I wanted to get back into riding, we worked together and saved up for my Harley. Next was for her to get a toy and we got her a new Mustang. We aren't rich by any means, but we've always worked together on our finances. She pays all the bills (she's worked as a financial manager for a union, and is just way more organized than me), from our major account that both paychecks go into, and we both have our play accounts that either of us can do with as we please. Mine goes to RC and hunting/fishing expenses mainly and she probably has more tied up in Longaberger baskets and Pampered Chef than I do in RC. (And that's saying something!!) Now at forty all our vehicles are paid for, our house is paid off, we have no debt, and life is good after 18 years of marriage. It hasn't always been easy. It took a lot of trust in each other to make it happen. Just find out what works for you and you'll find your way.
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

RC Champion
    Well said!

RC Competitor
    I have to say she's as cool as cool gets...I think what actually caused the fight was I gave my big news before she did. I said guess what I just got ...blah blah blah and come to find out her big news is were pregnant ...and kinda caught her funny worrying about all that goes into having another kid and I'm out spending money like I'm growing it outside. I failed to mention that was the 3rd truck I bought in 2 weeks. So yeaaa I got a revo and a baby lol...now just gotta pic out a name...maybe maxx lol nah just kidding.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    Glad I did not get married. I know I am no help, but whew!
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Glad I did not get married. I know I am no help, but whew!
    Being married is the best thing on earth my friend. Also adding kids to the clan makes it that much more exciting. I think every guy is scared of being marred, after the adjustment in the begining its fantastic. Not saying we've never had a fight, but since having kids we have gotten way closer.

If money was tight i'm sure it would be harder on buying things. I'd just have to adapt or have adapted to it. LOL One thing is for sure my Wife and Kiddos are always first. Just always think that and everything should be ok.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

The missus is always right sir.
    Last edited by ip42800ht; 01-30-2013 at 02:58 PM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    I think every guy is scared of being marred
    You gotta love auto-correct. I've been marred for 17 years!

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    I have not met the same class of woman as you dig...
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???