RC Champion

Help with stripped holes

I've got a couple of screw holes that are a little stripped. What I'm trying to say is that when I turn the screw into the hole it threads fine, its a little loose but it does thread. When the screw bottoms out and should stop turning, it doesn't, it keeps turning. So the problem is that it draw the parts tight together. I'm working with all plastic, no aluminum. So whats a good method (if any) to tighten up the screw hole? I tried plumbers thread tape and it didn't help. I was thinking about maybe putting a drop of CA glue in the hole then after it dries try to thread the the screw in.

What works for you guys, thanks

RC Champion
    ca works sometimes its kind of hit or miss. another option is to drill and retap the hole to the next size bigger. or if the part is cheap/easy to replace that may be the best option since you said it was plastic
    impeach obama!

RC Qualifier
    I usually force a bigger screw into the hole and the threads re-shape them selves, the roll bar on my nitro revo takes a lot of impact and it kept tearing up the threads, after forcing a larger screw in place I quit having problems. I've always debated CA glue but I'm concerned the only thing I will end up with is a screw with threads filled in with glue.
    I like turtles.

Get some of the 3mm threaded inserts from Tonys screws.
    You drill out the hole push in the insert & reassemble.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Champion
    There is really only two that need done. One is on the rear bulkhead and the other is on the chassis brace. So what that is preventing is the skid plate from being drawn up tight. Maybe if I go up say 1/2 a millimeter thicker screw it might bite like it needs to. That way I would have to drill a huge hole in the skid plates.

RC Racer
    All good methods mentioned above.

I have used JB weld and re-tapped parts. Works pretty good.

Another easy trick is to simply drill out the hole,buy a longer screw, thread the pieces together and put and washer+nut on the protruding threads. You can't do this everywhere but when you can, it will give you superior holding power. Make sure to use a drill bit that reaches the bottom of the hole without removing the existing threads.

Tough to tell in this pic but both the steering and shock end have nuts on the back side. I didn't have to drill these. Just to illustrate the point.

RC Champion
    Putting a drop of CA glue in the holes seems to have done the trick for now. I let it dry for about 30 minutes. I put in all the other screws and tighten them all up nice and snug. Then I put in the screws into the CA treated holes and I was able to snug them up without stripping. I guess time will tell if this trick will hold up.

Thanks for all the advise guys!

RC Qualifier
    Rancho Tehama or Red Bluff area or California
    +1 on that. If possible I like to put a nut in place instead of just thread in plastic holding the parts together.
    Broken parts=New better parts

RC Champion
    Glad to find this thread. Was going to start one to ask this question. Have a few spots that "spin" coz stripped out and can't take a longer bolt in that spot.

Might try the CA glue first then the JB weld since otherwise the parts are in good shape.
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

Quote Originally Posted by OlorinTharkun View Post
    Glad to find this thread. Was going to start one to ask this question. Have a few spots that "spin" coz stripped out and can't take a longer bolt in that spot.

Might try the CA glue first then the JB weld since otherwise the parts are in good shape.
    The BEST option is using what Wildman has stated here
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildman4910
    Get some of the 3mm threaded inserts from Tonys screws.
    You drill out the hole push in the insert & reassemble.

CA glue and super glue have a tendency to make plastic brittle. This insert basically is self tapping and then your screw goes into that...

Then again, you are talking about a plastic bulkhead and a chassis brace. Replacement costs aren't that much either.
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous